Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy Goodbye to the Pais tax (impuesto pais)?

nomad king

Many colleagues at my workplace are talking about this news, and apparently, it's one of the first taxes that Milei plans to eliminate.

Javier Milei: what taxes will he eliminate

Milei then communicated what the roadmap will be: "The first tax we have in mind is the PAIS Tax, then the withholdings and then the bank debits and credits. I have repeatedly refused to share these taxes, because if we share them we will not pay them. I can get more," he concluded.

Wait, but according to this article, it's just going back down to the rate it was before Milei raised it when he took over in December? :ROFLMAO:

Also, from what I've heard from my friends and locals, people think this will lower costs when spending in dollars. Here, many buy courses, games, or streaming platforms in dollars. But don't get too excited because for purchases made in dollars with credit or debit cards, the PAIS tax will still be applied at 30%, plus an extra 30% for the Income or Personal Property tax. This reduction only affects imports, which could have a “double impact” on the Argentine industry: on one hand, it will lower costs, allowing companies to import cheaper raw materials, but on the other hand, importers might use this benefit to bring in finished products that are already produced in Argentina, creating unfair competition. So, they should also implement measures to support national production, which won’t be an easy task... The excitement didn't last long for the locals 🫨

Milei confirmed that the tax will be completely eliminated in December. It was initially introduced as a temporary measure, but, of course, previous administrations never removed it.

Here’s how Kicillof is undermining the reduction of the "Impuesto País" by increasing municipal taxes. In the midst of falling consumption, this will inevitably lead to higher prices, driving up inflation. It’s clear to see that this move seems more like a petty attack to prevent Milei's economic policies, such as the reduction of the "Impuesto País," from succeeding.

Now we just need to rely on the goodwill of companies to start lowering their prices, as Toyota has already done with its cars. The sectors most likely to benefit and where we should see price reductions are appliances, cars, and electronics.

Things sounds like they are quickly improving for the better there. My friend just told me that Mercado Pago doesn't charge VAT and income tax withholdings for online payments now.

View attachment 7041
I don't think this is really the case with everything. This article says that this only applies to trade-related transactions such as paying for imports. Says not applicable to credit or debit card transactions or purchases Argentine residents make abroad which the PAIS tax on these transactions stays at 30% and they are subject to another 30% in income tax. Crazy. It's no wonder why so many Argentines only deal with cash!

Back