Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Guide to Argentina Blog

I just checked out one of the pages and it doesn't sound like he understands the exchange rates after living in Argentina for 7 months. :ROFLMAO:

He writes about the tourist dollar/rate and being able to get 1,600 pesos to $1 but he has that backwards. That rate isn't for tourists! That is the rate that Argentines have to pay when they use their credit cards outside of Argentina. Who is going to tell him that he isn't getting 1,600 pesos!

tourist dollar.jpg

I just checked out one of the pages and it doesn't sound like he understands the exchange rates after living in Argentina for 7 months. :ROFLMAO:

He writes about the tourist dollar/rate and being able to get 1,600 pesos to $1 but he has that backwards. That rate isn't for tourists! That is the rate that Argentines have to pay when they use their credit cards outside of Argentina. Who is going to tell him that he isn't getting 1,600 pesos!

View attachment 7779

Ouch. Not sure how accurate the rest of the content is if you're so off about this. This is basic stuff. Can't figure out how he thought tourists were getting that rate. You would think in 6 months he would have figured it out.

Ouch. Not sure how accurate the rest of the content is if you're so off about this. This is basic stuff. Can't figure out how he thought tourists were getting that rate. You would think in 6 months he would have figured it out.
It was confusing seeing all the rates. When I was there I saw this website and it was confusing but I figured it out the first day! I can't believe the government charges so much for Argentineans to use their credit card/debit cards outside of Argentina. They don't want them to spend money outside. This blogger probably has his parents paying his bills or something not to realize it for 6 months.

ratres.jpg

View attachment 7779

It looks like he removed that page now which is good. It is funny that even someone that has lived in Argentina for 7 months can get it totally confused. But not sure how you could think it was that rate because you would notice it on your credit card unless you weren't paying your own bills.

oops.jpg

View attachment 7779

That is a big mistake to post on a blog. I notified him that he had it wrong and it looks like he deleted that page. It is a good way to ruin your credibility if you post that the exchange rate is 1,600 to $1 USD when it is only 1,100 to $1. Oops.

View attachment 7779

I'm not sure how you can live in Argentina for so long and think you are getting 1,600 pesos to $1 or getting the Dolar Tarjeta.

The Dolar Tarjeta is the rate Argentines have to pay to use their debit/credit cards outside of Argentina. They are taxed for using their cards outside or on airline tickets for tickets outside of Argentina. This is horrible that the government taxes citizens like this. You will know when Argentina is healthy when they stop doing things like this.

You can read more about this tax and dolar tarjeta here:

Many tourists coming down confuse all of the exchange rates. I could understand from a tourist that doesn't know any better but not sure how you can live here for half the year and think that you're getting this rate. Oh well.

Back