Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Happiness: Only one-third of Argentinians feel satisfied with their lives

meghann

I found this article about the decline in happiness and life satisfaction among Argentinians interesting. It really surprised me because I’ve always seen Argentinians as some of the friendliest and most lively people I’ve met. I never would have guessed that their happiness levels were so low. I imagine this is related to the economic crisis since the "Argentina Happiness Report 2024" shows that happiness levels have decreased compared to 2023. However, it's important to note that they are very resilient and always find ways to move forward. Does this news surprise anyone else?

based on the picnics and nightlife i see constantly, and almost perpetual long weekends for holidays within Argentina, i suspect this poll was administered by someone who wanted a specific outcome for political purposes (regardless if it was a university publishing it). the whole world, as @Digital Nomad said, has some economic and political stress, especially the EU and USA, but i certainly don't see a lot of Argentines doing back-breaking labor in multiple jobs to make ends meet...whereas in the USA my family/friends often have 2 jobs, work 60 hours a week, don't travel anymore, don't eat out often, and older people are renting out the property that was supposed to be their vacation home, to pay the bills.

some articles/surveys to compare:

The previous study on happiness found that 73% of participants were satisfied with their lives, showing an increase from August 2020 to January 2023. In August 2020, only 43% felt happy, but by January 2023, this number had risen to 74%. It's so sad to see such a significant decline in 2024.

based on the picnics and nightlife i see constantly, and almost perpetual long weekends for holidays within Argentina, i suspect this poll was administered by someone who wanted a specific outcome for political purposes (regardless if it was a university publishing it). the whole world, as @Digital Nomad said, has some economic and political stress, especially the EU and USA, but i certainly don't see a lot of Argentines doing back-breaking labor in multiple jobs to make ends meet...whereas in the USA my family/friends often have 2 jobs, work 60 hours a week, don't travel anymore, don't eat out often, and older people are renting out the property that was supposed to be their vacation home, to pay the bills.

Very true. Have to take these with a grain of salt. Mainstream media everywhere has some agenda usually. Very rare these days is there pure news with no bias or agenda it seems like.

Locals don't work nearly the same as people from the USA. They will often times do the bare minimum. I always joke when I know it's 5 PM because it's when everyone leaves the office. In USA people climb the ladder and constantly working hard. You just don't see that hustle in Argentina. It's also part of the reason I want to move back to the USA later this year so my kids see this work ethic. People discount how tough things are in the US. Many of my friends are having to delay retirement to work longer. Some probably will never be able to retire as cost of living is much higher now.

I agree with caution in articles but I definitely can see a trend with people here having more stress, more instability, etc. Many people here that are wealthy will be ok no matter what but with poverty rates so high I don't doubt these surveys are correct. Recession is painful and most likely will get a bit worse before end of this year. Most expats here are in an entirely different category vs. locals. On USD savings and more sheltered. We can't lose empathy for locals situation and the horrible inflation they have on peso salaries.

Maybe your perspective is influenced by where you live. Most expats reside in Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Almagro, and Villa Crespo, which are the most expensive neighborhoods in Buenos Aires. I don’t think there are many people in need there, at least compared to the outskirts. I believe the survey refers to the entire country, although, as @StatusNomadicus mentioned, it could have political motives. Fortunately, interacting with many locals has broadened my perspective. I have visited some areas in the northern and southern outskirts, and believe me, things are very different there, with much more need.
Fortunately, their way of being and approach to life always help them move forward.

@Betsy Ross you're absolutely right, I think we should ask a local, although I don't think there are any on this forum.

We should follow Finland's example, as they have led the rankings as the happiest country in the world for many years. This is mainly due to their approach to work. Flexibility in working hours is key to keeping people happy. They firmly believe that "It's completely normal to mix your personal and work life" in the way you structure your workday and workweek. The focus is on results, not hours of presence, so there is "a lot of freedom for people to balance their overall working hours."
In Argentina, this concept seems very distant. It was only during the pandemic that remote work grew as an alternative to mandatory isolation and the inability to go to the office. There's a long way to go to reach the Finnish mindset. In fact, some offices here still have time clocks where employees must scan their fingerprints to register their arrival and control tardiness.

Very true. Have to take these with a grain of salt. Mainstream media everywhere has some agenda usually. Very rare these days is there pure news with no bias or agenda it seems like.

Locals don't work nearly the same as people from the USA. They will often times do the bare minimum. I always joke when I know it's 5 PM because it's when everyone leaves the office. In USA people climb the ladder and constantly working hard. You just don't see that hustle in Argentina. It's also part of the reason I want to move back to the USA later this year so my kids see this work ethic. People discount how tough things are in the US. Many of my friends are having to delay retirement to work longer. Some probably will never be able to retire as cost of living is much higher now.

I understand your perspective, but I see things a bit differently. In my opinion, the work culture in the USA is one of the most stressful and concerning in the world due to its high levels of stress. I have a friend who lives in Chicago and experiences panic attacks because of this. He has shared that it’s not just the work; he feels pressured by social norms and expectations. He’s 28, not married, and doesn’t have a girlfriend at the moment, which is frowned upon in his community. He often feels depressed due to this social pressure.

He's planning to move to another country once he finishes paying off his loans, seeking a more relaxed lifestyle and society. He was surprised to learn that here, there are people his age who still live with their parents to save money. He always says that in the USA, people live to work, whereas here, people work to live.

Something very important I've learned from my years living here is that relationships, family, and friendships are prioritized. Being a workaholic not only harms your health but also makes you miss out on the simplest pleasures in life, and time is something you can never get back.

I hope he can move here very soon. We always talk about how beautiful this country is, its culture, and its people.

I understand your perspective, but I see things a bit differently. In my opinion, the work culture in the USA is one of the most stressful and concerning in the world due to its high levels of stress. I have a friend who lives in Chicago and experiences panic attacks because of this. He has shared that it’s not just the work; he feels pressured by social norms and expectations. He’s 28, not married, and doesn’t have a girlfriend at the moment, which is frowned upon in his community. He often feels depressed due to this social pressure.

He's planning to move to another country once he finishes paying off his loans, seeking a more relaxed lifestyle and society. He was surprised to learn that here, there are people his age who still live with their parents to save money. He always says that in the USA, people live to work, whereas here, people work to live.

Something very important I've learned from my years living here is that relationships, family, and friendships are prioritized. Being a workaholic not only harms your health but also makes you miss out on the simplest pleasures in life, and time is something you can never get back.

I hope he can move here very soon. We always talk about how beautiful this country is, its culture, and its people.

Very true about high levels of stress in the US. It is about a balance. I like it better here in Argentina but of course many here are struggling to just put food on the table.

Yeah, I think that global world happinness has been decreasing during these accelerated times. Life was simpler 'before'....

Yeah, I think that global world happinness has been decreasing during these accelerated times. Life was simpler 'before'....
VERY true. Look at what is going on in Israel/Palestine and many other places. Growing up without all of this social media maybe we were more sheltered with all the chaos in the world. Same shitty things going on in the world but we weren't so exposed to it. Definitely true @enbits life was simpler before and miss those times.

I found this article about the decline in happiness and life satisfaction among Argentinians interesting. It really surprised me because I’ve always seen Argentinians as some of the friendliest and most lively people I’ve met. I never would have guessed that their happiness levels were so low. I imagine this is related to the economic crisis since the "Argentina Happiness Report 2024" shows that happiness levels have decreased compared to 2023. However, it's important to note that they are very resilient and always find ways to move forward. Does this news surprise anyone else?

I doubt you would be happy if you lost your job, in extreme poverty, have nothing to eat and just getting by. That is the sad reality for a majority of Argentines.

We should follow Finland's example
i've only been for one night to Helsinki, but i'd say it's hard to compare such a unique country, with such a homogenous society and weird weather/borders/daylight, to anyone else. but with all those perks of getting a formal job come many downsides, like higher taxes and a HIGH barrier to entry for jobs. there's a reason why the immigrant/expat unemployment rate is so high there; you and i probably wouldn't get a job without some kind of pre-existing networking. there's always someone paying for 'free' stuff in this case, and i suspect if you asked the average skilled-trade laborer in rural Finland, the answers wouldn't be as rosy as what you've heard.

Argentines in 3 provinces have overall seemed very relaxed, happy, and i just really haven't seen a lot of hard labor. i grew-up in Arizona where if you wanted to work anything to do with construction or trades, you had to bust your ass and know your stuff; our Mexican-USA population is the hardest-working and most honest kind of people i've ever met - if i had to choose one random person in Arizona to do something difficult with me like build a house by hand, i would absolutely choose a 18-30s guy born in Mexico, living in the USA...not someone from Atlanta Georgia or Buenos Aires Argentina...sorry! i haven't been here that long, but i've walked and ran a lot of miles and neighborhoods, and Argentines just overall don't work very hard. but neither do and of my younger extended-family members under 25 in the USA, so it's probably more of a worldwide thing right now. like @Bill said, if WW3 is on the horizon, is the American Dream still that imaginable for the younger crowd? what's the point in killing yourself through constant work, if so much is unknown and everything seems cast in a light of disillusionment?

@Vince for sure ignorance was bliss. now we know within minutes on Twitter/X what's going on, and the government lies are harder to cover-up

i've only been for one night to Helsinki, but i'd say it's hard to compare such a unique country, with such a homogenous society and weird weather/borders/daylight, to anyone else. but with all those perks of getting a formal job come many downsides, like higher taxes and a HIGH barrier to entry for jobs. there's a reason why the immigrant/expat unemployment rate is so high there; you and i probably wouldn't get a job without some kind of pre-existing networking. there's always someone paying for 'free' stuff in this case, and i suspect if you asked the average skilled-trade laborer in rural Finland, the answers wouldn't be as rosy as what you've heard.

Argentines in 3 provinces have overall seemed very relaxed, happy, and i just really haven't seen a lot of hard labor. i grew-up in Arizona where if you wanted to work anything to do with construction or trades, you had to bust your ass and know your stuff; our Mexican-USA population is the hardest-working and most honest kind of people i've ever met - if i had to choose one random person in Arizona to do something difficult with me like build a house by hand, i would absolutely choose a 18-30s guy born in Mexico, living in the USA...not someone from Atlanta Georgia or Buenos Aires Argentina...sorry! i haven't been here that long, but i've walked and ran a lot of miles and neighborhoods, and Argentines just overall don't work very hard. but neither do and of my younger extended-family members under 25 in the USA, so it's probably more of a worldwide thing right now. like @Bill said, if WW3 is on the horizon, is the American Dream still that imaginable for the younger crowd? what's the point in killing yourself through constant work, if so much is unknown and everything seems cast in a light of disillusionment?

@Vince for sure ignorance was bliss. now we know within minutes on Twitter/X what's going on, and the government lies are harder to cover-up
Argentines are definitely relaxed. They are also used to so much turmoil all the time. Definitely true about Mexicans America. Generally very hard working people. They are doing many jobs that Americans wouldn't do even if you paid them quite a bit. In Florida the governor tried to get tough on illegals and you had produce all dying in the fields as no one would pick it. Americans won't do that job. Same with many construction sites.

Younger generations are very lazy too in many parts of the world especially America. Most of my nieces and nephews haven't maintained a job for more than 2-3 years for the same employer. Always hopping around with no loyalty. Times have sure changed.

X and Tik Tok and IG and those sites are a positive but it makes you realize how much crap and lies and corruption all over the world. Before growing up you might speculate that things were shady but now there is no doubt and not only do you know but your parents, your siblings and your kids all at the same time instantly.

Some of the things we are seeing right now are shocking. I wonder how 100 years from now people will look at some of the things going on right now will react and what will be written in the history books about it. No wonder the US government wanted to ban Tik Tok. And they can't control X now that Elon Musk owns it.

All good points. Something much different for my generation vs. my parents is my parents grew up with incentives for working for the same company for decades. All that is mostly gone now so no real reason to stay at the same company unless they are very generous and a pleasure to work for. Otherwise it typically makes more sense to jump around and get the best deal.

Argentines are definitely relaxed. They are also used to so much turmoil all the time. Definitely true about Mexicans America. Generally very hard working people. They are doing many jobs that Americans wouldn't do even if you paid them quite a bit. In Florida the governor tried to get tough on illegals and you had produce all dying in the fields as no one would pick it. Americans won't do that job. Same with many construction sites.
This is true. I have family in Florida and when De Santis was difficult with illegals there my relatives there getting their house built the work came to a halt. I heard that they were letting in so many millions of migrants because there isn't enough workers to do low end jobs. I don't know if that is correct or not?

were letting in so many millions of migrants
who knows, but the southern border invasion is certainly not something that was voted on or that most citizens of the USA want(ed). i like Chase Oliver's position on legal immigration, the "Ellis Island model" he calls it.

a majority of Argentines.
***citation needed

it's crazy that more than half of 46 million people according to you with "majority" - so at least 23 million people, are unemployed against their will, have nothing to eat, and are in extreme poverty suffering...considering Peronists had power for at least 39 years in a row before Milei! what a fascinating admission that Peronism (communist authoritarianism where people are not free to trade and work) destroys societies just like how Venezuela has been destroyed.

or, are you saying that Milei's cabinet took a paradise on 10Dec2023 and somehow turned that paradise into a place where over half the population have no food and hope?

once again, you're a moronic zealot with no basis in reality. Socialists hate poor people a lot, considering they are always controlling them and bringing the average citizen's wealth downward. have you ever asked yourself what evidence would be necessary to change your views @Larry?

you're probably reading Peronist proaganda like this: https://buenosairesherald.com/society/argentinas-poverty-rate-almost-52-university-study-finds

...which shows a PROJECTED (AKA: guess) poverty rate. remember what the Poverty Rate was 09Dec2023 before Milei's takeover? i do! it was 49.5% - woooo Peronism!

what your myopic and single-lens-of-evil-Peluca ideology misses is that prices have been stable in Pesos, gas has stabilized in price, taxes are dropping constantly, and inflation is reacting to the lack of Peronist-printing madness that was going on for 4 decades. what the made-up projections (just like Climate Change always projecting ice levels and CO2 levels and temperatures that are literally never correct) can't account for the new goods that are going to come to the country with way cheaper prices, more options/products, more competition from businesses moving here, and overall just more people like me spending dollars and pesos when i meet hard-working people who provide a good service.

had Milei's Ley Bases not been blocked by commies for so long, imagine how much better Dec2023-Jul2024 could have been.

Back