Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Happiness: Only one-third of Argentinians feel satisfied with their lives

Poverty rates are high here but it was Peronism that caused it not Milei. But no amount of trying to argue with these people @StatusNomadicus will convince them. I met a few of these types and I ask them what it will take to make them happy and admit Milei is doing a good job. Most just don't answer and tell me that things would have been better under Massa. But I ask them how? But they can't give me a logical answer.

trying to argue
that's no fun! i love dunking on commies. helps refine arguments and maybe someone will click a link and change their mind. hell, maybe i'll see some evidence and change my mind about the nuances of Voluntaryism. i usually don't argue online unless there is an imbalance between one political side or the other; in this case, the old censored forum used to have some grump patriots that would tell the Peronists to shut up, but here most people are generous - so i step in when i think the conversation is unbalanced :)

but jump in when you have some links that i don't! bad ideas need sunlight

that's no fun! i love dunking on commies. helps refine arguments and maybe someone will click a link and change their mind. hell, maybe i'll see some evidence and change my mind about the nuances of Voluntaryism. i usually don't argue online unless there is an imbalance between one political side or the other; in this case, the old censored forum used to have some grump patriots that would tell the Peronists to shut up, but here most people are generous - so i step in when i think the conversation is unbalanced :)

but jump in when you have some links that i don't! bad ideas need sunlight
I actually enjoy reading post from both points of view. Even if I think one way, I still like to read insights into why someone disagrees. More interesting. I think some are just frustrated at the bleak economic situation and they don't know who to blame so they blame Milei. I enjoy reading your posts @StatusNomadicus. On the old forum I have noticed a sharp drop off of posts lately. Almost no posts anymore. I can't tell if people have just moved out of Buenos Aires. It does sound like many have left or leaving soon.

Almost no posts anymore
i suspect the loyalists to Igor will stay with their echo-chamber, but the usage will dwindle. i try to bring new people i meet onto this site, but Facebook still has a monopoly...i refuse to use FB because i despise the pro-lockdown and pro-government-tyranny stances. eventually more and more people will find this site, and we'll have a good mix of Expats here (i don't often disagree with earlyretirement, but wanting more locals here is one of those...i just find it weird a local would want to be on an Expat forum. i'm not on a female Czech hula-hooper forum, for example). but earlyretirement has sworn to not censor political/etc. speech (of course there are reasons for moderating spam and calls for violence, etc.) - so i'm here for the long-haul and i hope we can get some rock-solid write-ups pinned for tasks that most Expats will have to go through, sort of like a repository for tramites and such in Argentina for hte first year.

Peron was great at blaming others while doing all the evil stuff the 'other side' was doing, so Peronists finding a scapegoat evil capitalist for all their self-imposed woes is par for the course, and is part of a greater phenomenon for what the great Thomas Sowell calls being on the "Side of the Angels" against evil, which is part of the Marxist "Vision of the Annointed" where people skip their own self-imposed problems and instead go solving global affairs with their perfect utopian vision of how things should be (if they had dictatorial power). of course, people are inherently flawed, and so communism leads to dictatorships and juntas, which causes those human flaws to have horrible effects. the opposite of Peronism on the spectrum of Totalitarian Collectivism versus Individual Liberty is a society where everything is decentralized to the level of individual rights and autonomy. here is a 25-min interview from classic Sowell, debunking all the economic and philosophical claims of various groups that want to impose their will on others by limiting speech and trade:

Argentina websites on Facebook
do you mean which groups on FB? i know there are some Expat groups, some kind of name like "Mendoza Expats" or similar depending on the city/neighborhood, but i did a meet-up with a group in Buenos Aires many months ago and they were pretty active. if you have Facebook you can just search expats [city] and find the one with thousands of members and see if they are any good. i like this forum better because i can support earlyretirement instead of that commie Mark Zuckerberg

i don't have facebook or instagram or tiktok, so not sure. i try to only use companies that promote free speech (but using WhatsApp is literally rquired in Argentina, so i've torn about that, since it's owned by Meta as well)

do you mean which groups on FB? i know there are some Expat groups, some kind of name like "Mendoza Expats" or similar depending on the city/neighborhood, but i did a meet-up with a group in Buenos Aires many months ago and they were pretty active. if you have Facebook you can just search expats [city] and find the one with thousands of members and see if they are any good. i like this forum better because i can support earlyretirement instead of that commie Mark Zuckerberg

i don't have facebook or instagram or tiktok, so not sure. i try to only use companies that promote free speech (but using WhatsApp is literally rquired in Argentina, so i've torn about that, since it's owned by Meta as well)
Yes, I meant groups on FB. I don't use FB much at all but some places still use FB as their website. Amazing that people don't all have normal websites today. I don't like using FB but I guess it could be helpful with groups. I agree with you about all of these companies. I don't trust any of them anymore except for Twitter/X. I will look for the groups. I also prefer this website and most things I need to find out I can find here.

Peron was great at blaming others while doing all the evil stuff the 'other side' was doing, so Peronists finding a scapegoat evil capitalist for all their self-imposed woes is par for the course, and is part of a greater phenomenon for what the great Thomas Sowell calls being on the "Side of the Angels" against evil, which is part of the Marxist "Vision of the Annointed" where people skip their own self-imposed problems and instead go solving global affairs with their perfect utopian vision of how things should be (if they had dictatorial power). of course, people are inherently flawed, and so communism leads to dictatorships and juntas, which causes those human flaws to have horrible effects. the opposite of Peronism on the spectrum of Totalitarian Collectivism versus Individual Liberty is a society where everything is decentralized to the level of individual rights and autonomy. here is a 25-min interview from classic Sowell, debunking all the economic and philosophical claims of various groups that want to impose their will on others by limiting speech and trade:
This was excellent @StatusNomadicus. Thanks for posting.

As far as happiness I have learned to realize over time that no matter how bad you think you have it, someone else has it much worse. I look at all the people in Israel and Palestine and neighboring nations. Ukraine and Russia and all other conflict areas. The various governments around the world seem hell bent on a World War III. Many people all over are not feeling happy right now.

It’s alarming that only 1 in 3 Argentinians feel satisfied with their lives. Many of us come here seeking happiness, but the country’s economic situation clearly weighs on our daily lives. However, as a fellow citizen recognized by Milei wisely said, what truly matters are relationships, values, and family. Everything else is secondary. If the economy improves, it will certainly help, but we should never lose sight of what’s essential. It’s in these connections that we’ll find true satisfaction, regardless of the economic ups and downs.

Back