Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Has anyone experienced success with using Pedidosya for food delivery?

johnmayer

Attempting to maintain a zen attitude amid the frustrations encountered in this process, I'm curious if individuals without an Argentine BA number (those not possessing a BA number) have successfully placed food delivery orders through Pedidosya or any other service such as Rappi. While attempting to input an order, the contact information section demands a phone number for validation. Despite providing an option for a +1 North American code, any attempt results in the termination of the transaction.

I currently have a Movistar sim chip, but I've faced challenges getting the Argentine phone number to function (an ongoing fiasco). So, aside from waiting for a Movistar miracle (contemplating switching to Claro), does anyone have any tips or tricks for successfully placing a food delivery order?

A potential workaround that comes to mind is placing an order directly through WhatsApp with the restaurant. In this case, payment would typically need to be made in cash since many establishments prefer transactions via MercadoPago or bank transfers, which may not be accessible for foreigners. However, most places are willing to accept cash upon delivery.

Great suggestion, thank you. Presumably, they can also notify me of their arrival through WhatsApp. I'll definitely give it a try. Appreciate the advice!

My Rappi was set up several years ago but I originally set it up with my non Argentine # and it works fine. I'm not sure about today if I signed up. Rappi is a life saver for me. I use it daily.
Yes, I also have my USA # in my Rappi that I set up many years ago. And it works fine. IIRC, I remember reading people who said they have issues using a non-Argentina phone # which is a bummer as I use Rappi all the time. Even if I want to get a bag of ice, sodas, or small things throughout the day. It is so convenient.
A potential workaround that comes to mind is placing an order directly through WhatsApp with the restaurant. In this case, payment would typically need to be made in cash since many establishments prefer transactions via MercadoPago or bank transfers, which may not be accessible for foreigners. However, most places are willing to accept cash upon delivery.
Yes, many places are on Rappi Prime but the other day I wanted to customize a pizza and I didn't see the option on Rappi so I went to the website of the restaurant and sure enough I saw that they had their own delivery service. I just asked them to ping me via Whatsapp when they were close and they did.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 10.16.54 AM.jpg

Back