Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Has La Biela Lost Its Shine? Exorbitant Prices for a Plain Water Cracker Sandwich

The question you should be asking is who the hell would order something like this? I've been going to La Biela for 22 years and I've never seen this on the menu nor would I order it if I saw it. Strange someone would order something like this.

Great place to have a coffee. That place has been around forever.

The question you should be asking is who the hell would order something like this? I've been going to La Biela for 22 years and I've never seen this on the menu nor would I order it if I saw it. Strange someone would order something like this.

Great place to have a coffee. That place has been around forever.
I hate to disappoint you, but it's been on the menu for two years, and there was even an article about it in the newspaper. Though I agree with you, I would never order that in a prestigious place like La Biela.

If people are dumb enough to pay that then they should charge as much as they can. Look at Don Julio. If people are willing to pay $100 USD for a steak, definitely places will let them.
You’re right, "Don Julio" has gotten out of hand. I think it’s become just a place for tourists. What local could afford to pay $100 for a steak? Even if they could, they wouldn’t spend it on that. It's absurd. As you said, if people are willing to pay that price, they’ll keep raising it.

Is this for real? 7000 ARS for a water cracker sandwich? :rolleyes:

The article said it was only 1100 pesos. Still, who can complain if the prices are posted on the menu. I heard that Kings of Spain have all been served at La Biela. Every time I go in on the weekend it's packed. Food is nothing special. But sometimes they have live tango dancing outside so it's fun to watch that and people watch. If they have been around since 1850 they are doing something right.

There are places with better food and drinks. Even the coffee isn't the best there. But this place is an institution. A must visit on the weekends. Some of the waiters have worked there for 30 years.

Something similar happened with this plate of "ñoquis" offered at the renowned restaurant Masey Familia. The dish might be very gourmet and look delicious, but $20.000 ars?? I think they went a bit overboard with the price, don’t you think? It went viral on X for being so expensive and only serving a few ñoquis.

Something similar happened with this plate of "ñoquis" offered at the renowned restaurant Masey Familia. The dish might be very gourmet and look delicious, but $20.000 ars?? I think they went a bit overboard with the price, don’t you think? It went viral on X for being so expensive and only serving a few ñoquis.

There are less Ñoquis with this new government :p

Crazy to pay that much for 16 pieces. Nuts!

Back