Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Have you ever felt discriminated against or treated unfairly just because you're a foreigner or tourist in Buenos Aires?

Olivia1

Lately, I've been seeing what's happening in Barcelona with tourists, and it's really upsetting and sad... While I haven't been to Barcelona myself, I don't think I'd want to visit there. My experience in Argentina has been the best, especially because of its people, always friendly and kind. I know there are expats who have settled here and tourists on this forum; I'd love to hear about your experiences.

I have my sister that live in Barcelona. She show me the news. This very foolish of people in Barcelona. Tourists very important for Spain. The local blame tourists for expensive rent and many things but tourism very important for economy. Fortunately Argentina not have this problem. We always welcome foreigners and tourists from all countries.

It's totally crazy that they would treat tourists this way. Tourism is one of the biggest industries and contributors to GDP in Spain. If something happens with tourism, I'd venture to guess many people protesting would lose their jobs. Argentina going back 22+ years since the corralito I've never witnessed any hostility at all towards tourists in Argentina.

In Buenos Aires, I've always been treated well. Even when I couldn't speak Spanish at first, tourists are always welcome here. I can't understand what's happening in Barcelona. As you said, tourism is crucial for a country's economy, so it's really unpleasant what they're doing there.

Absolutely there is anti tourist graffiti in San Telmo. Anger because a traditional porteño barrio is becoming too expensive for locals due to Airbnb and foreigners. I spend a bit of time there and you can feel the tensions which will only get worse if the economy doesn't improve

San Telmo will be a mini Barcelona mark my words

I knew a lot of lower middle class Porteños from San Telmo 15 years ago who couldn't afford to live there anymore on regular salaries and had to do side hussles like tango classes, Spanish classes, sublets, "special arrangement" with landlord.

15 years later no amount of side hussles can save them and people are getting angry

I find what's happening in Barcelona with the tourists really violent. They have no idea how important tourism is for a country's economy. Their demands to regulate certain issues should be directed at the government, not at the tourists. I've been living here for years and have never had a problem. It wasn't hard to adapt because the people here are very friendly and always kind to foreigners, at least in my experience.

Absolutely there is anti tourist graffiti in San Telmo. Anger because a traditional porteño barrio is becoming too expensive for locals due to Airbnb and foreigners. I spend a bit of time there and you can feel the tensions which will only get worse if the economy doesn't improve

San Telmo will be a mini Barcelona mark my words
I knew a lot of lower middle class Porteños from San Telmo 15 years ago who couldn't afford to live there anymore on regular salaries and had to do side hussles like tango classes, Spanish classes, sublets, "special arrangement" with landlord.

15 years later no amount of side hussles can save them and people are getting angry
Wow I have been to San Telmo a few times but I didn't feel any resentment but I was just going down on Sundays. Probably not enough to see how it is living there. I'm here in Palermo Soho and tons and tons of tourists but I don't feel any resentment at all. People are friendly and most of the businesses and restaurants are happy to have tourists.

There are a lot of tourists in San Telmo but I didn't feel tension. @BikeEnthusiast in what way did you feel tension? Did anyone say anything to you? In Mexico City my friends tell me there are some tensions there too because of cost of living. I hope this doesn't become like this here in BA.

That is sad to hear about how bad the economy is but I think most locals blame the government not the tourists. Tourists help out the economy. I was surprised with how many expats were living in San Telmo. I think the difference is that many of the locals in San Telmo seemed more of the starving artist type. In my Airbnb in Palermo the neighbors seemed higher end.

I didn't feel any resentment at all in Buenos Aires. In Palermo where I stayed it felt like mostly all tourists in Soho and I heard a lot of English and Portuguese and some Russian.

I can't believe what's happening in Spain. Here, people are always so welcoming that it's hard for me to believe something like that is happening. In Argentina, it's the opposite; locals always try to make foreigners feel comfortable, whether they are tourists or residents who have chosen to settle here. In fact, Venezuelans are often surprised by how friendly everyone is. In countries like Chile, for example, they face discrimination. I have a coworker from Venezuela who told me how her cousin was treated so poorly in Chile that he wants to leave. On top of that, it's very hard to find a job there, especially if you're Venezuelan. In Argentina, people are very warm and welcoming.

I can't believe what's happening in Spain. Here, people are always so welcoming that it's hard for me to believe something like that is happening. In Argentina, it's the opposite; locals always try to make foreigners feel comfortable, whether they are tourists or residents who have chosen to settle here. In fact, Venezuelans are often surprised by how friendly everyone is. In countries like Chile, for example, they face discrimination. I have a coworker from Venezuela who told me how her cousin was treated so poorly in Chile that he wants to leave. On top of that, it's very hard to find a job there, especially if you're Venezuelan. In Argentina, people are very warm and welcoming.

My Venezuelan friend also had issues in Chile. She tried Santiago before BA and said it was tough but here no problems at all.

I doubt Argentina will have issues at least for a while. I did read some comments on X about a police officer from the USA and some locals commented how they are against gringos moving here and getting citizenship. They are worried like in Spain they will drive up cost of living and housing costs. I guess that is a valid concern.

That is just crazy about these residents in Barcelona. That country is falling apart. Those morons don't realize besides tourism there isn't much else.
Yes, seeing stuff on the news about Barcelona and Spain in general is surprising. With so many refugees coming in I wonder what the long term prospects are of that country.

GSN2LviXkAA1riZ.jpeg

Here's another example of how a tourist is mistreated in Mexico. I find it disheartening to hear about the discrimination this Italian tourist faced, just because he resembles an Argentinian. Being white, tall, and receiving comments like "go back to your country" is unfair and inappropriate. This kind of behavior reflects poorly on how visitors are treated and reinforces negative stereotypes. It's even more troubling given that he's a recognized influencer, as his experiences can shape the perceptions of many. Kindness and respect towards everyone should be promoted, regardless of their appearance or nationality. It's unacceptable that this is happening in 2024. "
"Care about your own country and get out of Mexico," they told him. 😒

Here's another example of how a tourist is mistreated in Mexico. I find it disheartening to hear about the discrimination this Italian tourist faced, just because he resembles an Argentinian. Being white, tall, and receiving comments like "go back to your country" is unfair and inappropriate. This kind of behavior reflects poorly on how visitors are treated and reinforces negative stereotypes. It's even more troubling given that he's a recognized influencer, as his experiences can shape the perceptions of many. Kindness and respect towards everyone should be promoted, regardless of their appearance or nationality. It's unacceptable that this is happening in 2024. "
"Care about your own country and get out of Mexico," they told him. 😒

Many Mexicans generally don't like Argentines. For many years we had a strong economy during the $1:1 peso days. I experienced a lot of Argentine hate/envy many years ago.

I have never seen anyone really get discriminated against here. Buenos Aires seems to be made up of people from all over South America. All my ride share drivers are mostly from Venezuela. All the people in the neighborhood verdulerias seem to be from Bolivia. Soho is all tourists or expats. About the most I see is people getting a bit crabby if I speak English and they don't understand but they are more than happy to take my money.

Many Mexicans generally don't like Argentines. For many years we had a strong economy during the $1:1 peso days. I experienced a lot of Argentine hate/envy many years ago.
I'm not sure you can make a general statement like this. I have a lot of Mexican friends and they all like Argentineans quite a bit. I have heard some Mexicans make Argentine jokes but I wouldn't go as far as to say they don't like Argentines.

Back