Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Homicide, robbery and petty theft on the rise in Greater Buenos Aires

Reggie take what you read on this forum with a grain of salt. Some are overly optimistic with this President. Most of these people on this forum probably have US dollar savings or income. They are out of touch with the typical local that is struggling. I would guess many don't venture away from Palermo or other rich areas.

It is a horrible time and there are more strikes and protests after a Presidential election than history. A majority of Argentines aren't happy with Milei. A good indicator of how good economy is doing is unemployment rates. Milei is terminating tens of thousands of public sector employees. And private sector employers are also laying off massive amount of employees. Argentina is in a recession and most likely will go into depression soon.

Restaurants and many small businesses are going out of business or soon will go bankrupt or close. Many companies can't make money under these conditions. Tourism is slowing down as Argentina gets more expensive. You will see more and more businesses closed probably even before you arrive. I agree with others that say it will be safe so you will be fine on trip. But you will see more and more homeless. Many people don't have money to eat.

Just be aware and check ahead of time for national strikes which can paralyze the city. But things aren't optimistic like some pretend here or at least the reality is different for locals vs. expats with dollars or euros.

Also you will find that restaurants are probably not much less than what you will pay in the USA or Europe or many will be more expensive. Walk into supermarket and you will see it is probably the same price as back home. I don't want to spoil your trip but things here are not rosy.
What a downer. Larry you always find a way to get people visiting Buenos Aires get depressed!

Reggie take what you read on this forum with a grain of salt. Some are overly optimistic with this President. Most of these people on this forum probably have US dollar savings or income. They are out of touch with the typical local that is struggling. I would guess many don't venture away from Palermo or other rich areas.

It is a horrible time and there are more strikes and protests after a Presidential election than history. A majority of Argentines aren't happy with Milei. A good indicator of how good economy is doing is unemployment rates. Milei is terminating tens of thousands of public sector employees. And private sector employers are also laying off massive amount of employees. Argentina is in a recession and most likely will go into depression soon.

Restaurants and many small businesses are going out of business or soon will go bankrupt or close. Many companies can't make money under these conditions. Tourism is slowing down as Argentina gets more expensive. You will see more and more businesses closed probably even before you arrive. I agree with others that say it will be safe so you will be fine on trip. But you will see more and more homeless. Many people don't have money to eat.

Just be aware and check ahead of time for national strikes which can paralyze the city. But things aren't optimistic like some pretend here or at least the reality is different for locals vs. expats with dollars or euros.

Also you will find that restaurants are probably not much less than what you will pay in the USA or Europe or many will be more expensive. Walk into supermarket and you will see it is probably the same price as back home. I don't want to spoil your trip but things here are not rosy.
Larry is correct. Most on this forum don't understand local situation too well and are in la la land.

I don't want to scare you Reggie but look what happened in Chile in 2019 when government want to increase subway. I hope this doesn't happen here but people tired of all increases.

Larry is correct. Most on this forum don't understand local situation too well and are in la la land.

I don't want to scare you Reggie but look what happened in Chile in 2019 when government want to increase subway. I hope this doesn't happen here but people tired of all increases.

The government has to be careful not raising too many things too much at once. Flash points can quickly be created if people feel too desperate. Then things can escalate into problems quickly.

Some good points made from both sides. While I think it is still relatively safe in Argentina that can change fairly quickly. There is a limit to how much patience Argentines will have. Milei is trying to act quickly but Argentina is not out of the woods and there is a severe recession. Massive unemployment and there is no guarantee that foreign investment will come.

I did a lot of business here in the 1990's and 2000's. Eventually my company exited Argentina because of the corruption, massive taxes and unfriendly labor laws. If you don't fix the tax system and labor laws than it makes no sense for foreign investments to enter Argentina. If you can't get local companies to invest or they can't survive then you will not get foreign companies to make it without massive tax assistance and fixing labor laws.

The country is a tinderbox. You keep raising public transport, utility rates, healthcare premiums and monthly expenses and eventually people will just riot.

How are there not riots in the street? I am coming next month for my first visit. I planned the trip a year ago when things were very cheap but I read there is 300% inflation since last year. I read about some strikes but I don't read about violence. Will my trip be ok? How are things so calm if there is 300% inflation in one year? I read inflation is slowing down but it's still over 100% a year.

Here in NYC there would be riots and things burning to the ground if we had 300% inflation in one year. I'm stumped how things can be so calm there?
You will be fine. Argentina has dealt with tougher situations. Come and enjoy the city and country. Make sure to visit Iguazu Falls if you have time. You won't regret it!

Some good points made from both sides. While I think it is still relatively safe in Argentina that can change fairly quickly. There is a limit to how much patience Argentines will have. Milei is trying to act quickly but Argentina is not out of the woods and there is a severe recession. Massive unemployment and there is no guarantee that foreign investment will come.

I did a lot of business here in the 1990's and 2000's. Eventually my company exited Argentina because of the corruption, massive taxes and unfriendly labor laws. If you don't fix the tax system and labor laws than it makes no sense for foreign investments to enter Argentina. If you can't get local companies to invest or they can't survive then you will not get foreign companies to make it without massive tax assistance and fixing labor laws.

The country is a tinderbox. You keep raising public transport, utility rates, healthcare premiums and monthly expenses and eventually people will just riot.
I would agree with @import export. Most of these journalists writing about Argentina do not understand local dynamics. My wife's family owns a few businesses and lots of employee issues. It is not as easy as Milei talking to Musk and everyone coming. Without fixing underlying laws it does not make sense to invest in Argentina for these companies. But hopefully Milei will be able to change many of these laws that don't make sense.

It's terrible now that thieves are smashing car windows like never before while people are in the car. This kind of thing was rare before but it's happening while people re driving in the car. Very scary to see this happening.

Always sad to see crime going up. Hopefully Bullrich gets tougher on crime. Maybe her visit to visit Bukele will inspire her to get even tougher with criminals.

I want Jorge Macri to step on it. I know that he is doing many of the things he said he'd do, though. Yesterday we saw how the police removed five people who had been camping out where Virrey Vertíz meets Av. Libertador. We had noticed a couple of people sleeping there for a while now, but in the past week the situation was getting really out of hand. I guess it will take a while until order gets restored.
I noticed this too Sunny. Also, walking around in nice parts of Belgrano I was surprised to see some homeless there sleeping in front of some nice buildings. Mattress and all. How do these people select which building they will sleep in front of? And why don't the buildings just remove their mattress when they aren't there?

Do you know @Sunny how they target which building to sleep in front of? I was surprised as one was very nice. Where do they put their mattress during the day?

It's terrible now that thieves are smashing car windows like never before while people are in the car. This kind of thing was rare before but it's happening while people re driving in the car. Very scary to see this happening.

Yikes! Isn't that neighborhood just north of Palermo Hollywood? Colegiales isn't a bad neighborhood is it? If they are breaking car windows while you are driving I would have to believe they would just rob you in the street if I have an iPhone? This is surprising to hear as I heard it's safe there.

And @Digital Nomad when you say a nice building and homeless sleeping in a mattress at the entrance. You mean right in front of the door? So you have to crawl over homeless to get into an Airbnb potentially? Is it like this in Palermo as well?

Yikes! Isn't that neighborhood just north of Palermo Hollywood? Colegiales isn't a bad neighborhood is it? If they are breaking car windows while you are driving I would have to believe they would just rob you in the street if I have an iPhone? This is surprising to hear as I heard it's safe there.

And @Digital Nomad when you say a nice building and homeless sleeping in a mattress at the entrance. You mean right in front of the door? So you have to crawl over homeless to get into an Airbnb potentially? Is it like this in Palermo as well?
Yes that video of the smash and grab is in Colegiales which is a nice neighborhood not far from Palermo Hollywood. I haven't had any problems with my iPhone. And I walk around a good bit with it. Just be careful at intersections holding it out or if you hear a motorcycle as they are the ones that steal them. Especially if it has 2 guys on the motorcycle.

In Belgrano in the building that I saw, yes the homeless man was very dirty and he had a twin size mattress right next to the door. You didn't have to crawl over him but it was right next to the buzzer for the door. It looks like he was passed out drunk. I think it's the luck of the draw where they decide to sleep. I'm not sure if there are any laws to protect against moving them.

Now that I've found I can have pleasant conversations with the police here (some things have indeed changed for the better!), I stop to ask questions when I see them. The last officer I spoke with mentioned that from the moment the city decides to do something to the time it gets done several weeks or months may go by before people can notice a change.

I also learned from another officer in Recoleta that street people sleep during the day due to night attacks. He mentioned they had been removing rolled-up mattresses "stored" up in the trees. I had seen some bags on a tree crotch on Ayacucho at Vicente López but never a mattress.

Next time I will ask if they know why these people select certain spots.
It is positive that people look to the police as help. In the past, most people think of the police as corrupt but hopefully this changes. I see people occasionally sleeping on small mattresses during the day or at night. I'm not sure where they pull them from. Some that I have seen have no mattress during the day but then at night there will be someone sleeping on it at night. I don't know where they store these.

Poor Jenn, CABA does't give you a break, does it? Dog poop, mosquito/dengue, phone snatchers, motochorros, people sleeping next to building entrances...

It is not as bad as it sounds, really. However, I think that we will see increased crime for a while. I am convinced that this is another desperate attempt by the opposition to sow fear.
:ROFLMAO: Yes I know it's not as bad as it sounds. My friend has been down there for months and has survived. Although you can admit @Sunny reading all of this is a bit comical. But I know what you mean when it's not that bad. My friend said she has noticed a pick up in crime. Many of her local friends have had cellphones stolen the past few weeks.

It is positive that people look to the police as help. In the past, most people think of the police as corrupt but hopefully this changes. I see people occasionally sleeping on small mattresses during the day or at night. I'm not sure where they pull them from. Some that I have seen have no mattress during the day but then at night there will be someone sleeping on it at night. I don't know where they store these.
Surprised to hear about so many people getting their phones stolen. I didn't think it was bad at all in November. I was out until really late walking around Palermo and never even felt like it was an issue.

But funny you mention about the homeless sleeping outside the building. We rented a really high end Airbnb in Belgrano and the first few days no issues. But then Day #3 at night there was a homeless man sleeping outside of our entrance door. It was awkward but he was always sleeping at night. Not sure why he chose our building as we walked around and no other buildings were dealing with that.

Like clock work after Day #3 he would not be there when we left for the night but after we got home from dinner or going out he would be sleeping there.

You were lucky he was sleeping. In Recoleta, during Nov, Dec and Jan, I was kept up many times by the screaming and loud noises the homeless made throughout the night. There was one guy that spent ours banging on poles, we could see him nightly for a couple of weeks on the security system. Calling the police helped some but, by the time you get them involved, you had lost hours of sleep.
Wow Sunny what part of Recoleta was this in? I'm over here now and it is much quieter to me vs. Soho. I'm at Montevideo and Quintana and really nice neighborhood. I like this area much better than Palermo. I've only seen a few homeless here but they are quiet and polite. Just asking for some handouts.

Wow Sunny what part of Recoleta was this in? I'm over here now and it is much quieter to me vs. Soho. I'm at Montevideo and Quintana and really nice neighborhood. I like this area much better than Palermo. I've only seen a few homeless here but they are quiet and polite. Just asking for some handouts.
You are in one of the best neighborhoods in all of Buenos Aires. Very convenient neighborhood.

Back