Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

How can the food here be so bad ?

MickMolloy

I love Argentina but how? Something as simple as a sandwhich de milenesa will be so dry and awful every bite is a choking hazard. Buy a simple "Milenesa con pure" and its so thin it almost doesn't exist. And this restaurant is rated 4.5 stars in google maps so Argentines actually think this is good like they all have Stockholm syndrome.

Argentina has the worst food on planet Earth, and I love this country

I love Argentina but how? Something as simple as a sandwhich de milenesa will be so dry and awful every bite is a choking hazard. Buy a simple "Milenesa con pure" and its so thin it almost doesn't exist. And this restaurant is rated 4.5 stars in google maps so Argentines actually think this is good like they all have Stockholm syndrome.

Which restaurant did you go to? Some places I agree with you sometimes it can be off from the Google Reviews. Usually 4.5 stars would be a decent meal. I think overall the food is good here but plenty of places with mediocre food too.

sounds like El Club De La Milanesa, you have to do some exploring to get good stuff in BA and when you do that you get amazing food. Worst food on planet earth sounds extreme XD.

sounds like El Club De La Milanesa, you have to do some exploring to get good stuff in BA and when you do that you get amazing food. Worst food on planet earth sounds extreme XD.
I went to that place and if it is the Club de Milanesa I agree that it was very overrated! I went to the location on Azcuenaga and I thought since the headliner was Milanesas it would be great. (after all it is the name of the restaurant)! But mine was also overcooked and dry. It wasn't the worst food on the planet but surprising it would be bad when you consider the name of the restaurant.

I thought a lot of the food was bland and not too much flavor. I was not a fan of the pizza there and Asian or ethnic foods aren't good there. I went to a Ramen place and tried a few Chinese restaurants and it wasn't good. No spice either. I had some good pasta and steaks but I even thought the salads weren't too good there.

Not the worst food in the world but far from the best either.

@MickMolloy I had the exact same experience with a bunch of places. I even posted about how I thought the food in many places was very mediocre. Even the locals told me the steak quality at many places has gone way down hill. I tried a lot of different places for steak and the two best that I liked were Don Julio and El Preferido Palermo which I heard are owned by the same owner. They were on the expensive side but the only places where I thought the steaks were great. I tried some less expensive places and the beef was kind of chewy.

I had a Milenesa at El Preferido and it was great! But it was like 4 times the price at a local hole in the wall.

I went to that place and if it is the Club de Milanesa I agree that it was very overrated! I went to the location on Azcuenaga and I thought since the headliner was Milanesas it would be great. (after all it is the name of the restaurant)! But mine was also overcooked and dry. It wasn't the worst food on the planet but surprising it would be bad when you consider the name of the restaurant.

I thought a lot of the food was bland and not too much flavor. I was not a fan of the pizza there and Asian or ethnic foods aren't good there. I went to a Ramen place and tried a few Chinese restaurants and it wasn't good. No spice either. I had some good pasta and steaks but I even thought the salads weren't too good there.

Food is very bland at many places. Agree ethnic foods just were not good at many places. No spice or seasoning in many places. I kept hearing how BA had all these great places and I did find some good places but I really had to research.

It is far from the worst food on the planet. That is an exaggeration. It is far from cities with the best food. It can't compare to cities like Mexico City or Lima or many others but I can think of places that are worse.

What is your favorite food here @MickMolloy. You can't tell me you can't find a good meal in BA. There are many wonderful places.

I think every place can have a bad day. I thought the food in Buenos Aires was fabulous! But then again, I was going around with @earlyretirement every day for 10 days so he was probably taking me to the best places. But literally every single meal I had was amazing! I thought the prices were very reasonable too.

One of his friends prepared an asado and it was hands down the best beef I ever had. I totally disagree with it being the worst food in the world. I can think of many places where the food wasn't too good. Like when I went to London I thought the food overall was NOT good. I can't say the same for Argentina.

My friends there now for the past year have told me there are good places but you have to work a bit at it. If you just go to random places you can get some bad food too. They commented the same that they heard it was all really great food everywhere. They said there are good and bad places there. I just asked my friend @MickMolloy and she said no way you are right when you say it's the worst food in the world. You're not doing it right if you say that. Are you going to any decent places with higher quality restaurants? They are more expensive but plenty of good places.

I must admit, apart from most asados I've had over the many years I've lived here. Overall, the food isn't great quality.
But how would you compare it to food in Scotland or London. I’ve been there and thought the food was very mediocre there.

I admit some of the food here is a bit bland but many dishes here are quite delicious.

What I am not too thrilled at is quality of items in the supermarkets here. Especially fruits and veggies that are many times past their prime. Also lack of variety of many fruits and veggies here compared to Europe or USA.

Worst food on the planet? You're crazy! If you can't find a good meal here there is something wrong with you.

The Club de La Milanesa was definitely the worst place I’ve been. It’s really overrated. I went there with friends, and we ordered a platter to share. We were surprised by how quickly it arrived, but upon tasting it, we realized the food was reheated and probably not from that day. The only good thing there were the gin tonics.

Instead of going there, I recommend trying the bodegones. They’re the best places to eat well and enjoy generous portions.

The Club de La Milanesa was definitely the worst place I’ve been. It’s really overrated. I went there with friends, and we ordered a platter to share. We were surprised by how quickly it arrived, but upon tasting it, we realized the food was reheated and probably not from that day. The only good thing there were the gin and tonics.

Instead of going there, I recommend trying the bodegones. They’re the best places to eat well and enjoy generous portions.
I also went there when a friend was in town. We also got a dry overcooked and overrated meal there. Same thing with our meal @Ron. It came out almost instantly. It tasted like it wasn't fresh. I often wonder if they give gringos older food that isn't fresh? Someone told me that before that some restaurants might try that but I'm not sure if it is true or not.

I wouldn't say the food is the worst on the planet here. That isn't true. I think asado here is good in many places but I notice quality going downhill the past several months I have been here. After you live here, places like Don Julio are only once in a while. While there are some affordable food like empanadas and medialunas and choripan, many places the food is very meh.

At the higher end at nicer places the quality goes up but so does the price. Food here is neither the best nor is it the worst.

You are totally off base if you think the food here is the worst on the planet. I am curious what you consider to have the best food? Which country and please don't tell me the USA as food quality there is very bad.

For good Chinese, head to Barrio Chino, and in the pedestrian-only bit behind estación Belgrano C, there's a little hole in the wall. During the week, they'll have the metal shutters down but the little door in the shutter open. Pop in, have a meal there. It's legit good.

There's also a decent place in Recoleta, but it's run by a bunch of Falun Gong cultists, so they'll try and indoctrinate you with the meal. Good food, but the vibes were way off, so we haven't been back.

Finally, on Cabildo, there's a place, Tao Tao that isn't bad. Definitely Argentinian Chinese, but on the upper tier of Argentinian Chinese. The potstickers were actually great, according to my wife, who is extremely picky about her potstickers.

As for the pizzas... La fugazzetta rellena is where it's at.

For good Chinese, head to Barrio Chino, and in the pedestrian-only bit behind estación Belgrano C, there's a little hole in the wall. During the week, they'll have the metal shutters down but the little door in the shutter open. Pop in, have a meal there. It's legit good.

There's also a decent place in Recoleta, but it's run by a bunch of Falun Gong cultists, so they'll try and indoctrinate you with the meal. Good food, but the vibes were way off, so we haven't been back.

Finally, on Cabildo, there's a place, Tao Tao that isn't bad. Definitely Argentinian Chinese, but on the upper tier of Argentinian Chinese. The potstickers were actually great, according to my wife, who is extremely picky about her potstickers.

Do you know the name of the restaurant @Darksider415 in Barrio Chino you're referring to? I have tried several places there and I agree not the same quality as other Chinatowns but would love to try this place.

Funny about the Falun Gong restaurant! That wouldn't seem like a fun experience but do they have take out? What's the name of this place?

I have been to Tao Tao and it's ok.

I also went there when a friend was in town. We also got a dry overcooked and overrated meal there. Same thing with our meal @Ron. It came out almost instantly. It tasted like it wasn't fresh. I often wonder if they give gringos older food that isn't fresh? Someone told me that before that some restaurants might try that but I'm not sure if it is true or not.

I wouldn't say the food is the worst on the planet here. That isn't true. I think asado here is good in many places but I notice quality going downhill the past several months I have been here. After you live here, places like Don Julio are only once in a while. While there are some affordable food like empanadas and medialunas and choripan, many places the food is very meh.

At the higher end at nicer places the quality goes up but so does the price. Food here is neither the best nor is it the worst.
Yes, that’s exactly how we felt, like the food was dry and old. I don’t think they only do that for tourists. Afterward, a coworker told me she had a similar bad experience there. She mentioned that the place was a hit when it first opened and the food was good, but I don’t know what happened. I really don’t think I’ll go back there.

My friend told me about the place you are talking about Darksider but when I went it was closed. It seems like many of these places aren't open all the time. Some maybe only for dinner as I went during lunch hour and some were closed and other times I went at night and they were still closed. I didn't have any amazing Asian meals here. It is ok as I don't travel expecting to find ethnic foods but I was surprised with a Chinatown as big as BA and not decent quality restaurants.

I did try Tao Tao and it wasn't good Chinese. As you saw @Darksider415 more of Argentine Chinese cuisine. I couldn't figure it out because Argentina has good beef, chicken and pork and decent quality vegetables but the flavor just wasn't there. Again, no problem at all as I don't expect to find authentic Chinese food in every city but most major cities in the world I have gone to you can find it.

But I had enough good meals in Argentina but you definitely have to look at the reviews of restaurants. But it is getting like that in many places.

But how would you compare it to food in Scotland or London.
I live in a town out in the pampa not Buenos Aires. Asados aside the food here is mostly Italian based. As I'm not a lover of pasta or pizza it doesn't leave me with much choice when we eat out. No problem for my Argentine wife but it is for me. When eating out in a similar sized town in Scotland I could have a choice of traditionl Scottish/British food, Indian, Chinese and much more compared to here. We don't even have a MacDonalds!! 😞 As a Scot I love fish and seafood so don't get me started on the awful quality/availability of that here.

I live in a town out in the pampa not Buenos Aires. Asados aside the food here is mostly Italian based. As I'm not a lover of pasta or pizza it doesn't leave me with much choice when we eat out. No problem for my Argentine wife but it is for me. When eating out in a similar sized town in Scotland I could have a choice of traditionl Scottish/British food, Indian, Chinese and much more compared to here. We don't even have a MacDonalds!! 😞 As a Scot I love fish and seafood so don't get me started on the awful quality/availability of that here.
Very very true @Scottishgaucho that in smaller towns there is very limited variety. That was how it was in Buenos Aires 20 years ago. Not much variety at all and mostly Italian. I have friends that got married to women from here and moved out to smaller towns and like you they aren't too into pasta and don't like the pizza here. If you are accustomed to lots of great seafood like in Scotland then it could be very limited here.

As you mention, there is a lot more diverse make up of food quality in Europe. And it is probably authentic tasting too. Here not so much. And I can't imagine smaller towns. Totally agree with you on the very poor seafood here. Even here in Buenos Aires it is severely lacking. That is one of the things I am looking forward to when I move back to the States in November.

What do you end up eating there? I am assuming a lot of asados!

Back