Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports How is Christmas in Argentina...

TripMe

Why should you celebrate Christmas in Argentina?
"Nochebuena" is the name for Christmas Eve in Latin American countries. But the country is not only worth a winter visit at Christmas. There are many things to do during your trip:
  • Dance Tango at a Milonga
  • Taste the delicacies of Argentine cuisine, from beef with chimichurri sauce to empanadas and sweet alfajores.
  • Visit Argentine gaucho cowboys in the endless expanses of the Patagonian steppe.
  • Experience the primeval rainforests of the north.
  • Marvel at the breathtaking Iguazu Falls.
  • Be enchanted by decorated houses
  • Celebrate New Year's Eve in Buenos Aires with a lively atmosphere

Christmas traditions in Argentina

In Argentina, Christmas celebrations begin on December 8 with the "Day of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary". This day usually marks the beginning of Christmas decorations, including the placement of the Christmas tree.

Argentines decorate their homes with garlands in shades of green, gold and red, and decorate the main entrance with a wreath of white flowers. Elements such as the nativity scene and white cotton snowflakes cannot be missing in the decoration.

On Christmas Eve, a big family party is celebrated starting around 10 pm. Given the favorable weather, the celebration is often held outdoors, in the garden. The country's strong Catholic tradition is reflected in church attendance during the evening of December 24 or in participation in the "Misa del Gallo", the midnight mass. After mass, it is common for Argentines to release colorful "globos", which are paper lanterns similar to Chinese lanterns. The evening culminates with an impressive fireworks display.

In the days that follow, Argentine families continue to celebrate with meals, gift exchanges and, in some cases, trips to the beach. For many, the Christmas festivities mark the beginning of the summer vacations.

Christmas dishes​

Delicious food also plays an important role in Argentina at Christmas. At the richly arranged tables you will find a wide selection of meats, breads and desserts. Among the most common dishes are asado (various meats cooked on the grill), vitel toné (veal with tuna cream), deviled eggs, sandwiches with tuna and other ingredients, stuffed tomatoes and a variety of salads.

The table is completed with traditional desserts such as panettone (cake with almonds and other fruits), sweet bread, fruit salad, ice cream, mantecol (soft nougat) and nougat (hard nougat). Drinks include cider, champagne, wine and liqueurs.

Christmas gifts in Argentina​

On the night of December 24-25, presents are delivered. While everyone is out, one of the adults places the presents under the Christmas tree. When the children return after the fireworks, they are delighted with the gifts from "Santa Claus". Often, the youngsters move on afterwards to join their friends and celebrate.

On January 6, children bring their shoes to the door to receive gifts from the Three Wise Men. To do this, children place the shoes by the bed or door or under the Christmas tree. Instead of milk and cookies, they put hay and water in front of the door for the saints' horses.

I can assure you that it is like that haha...I was lucky enough to spend this Christmas at my friend's house who lives in Palermo, it was really an incredible experience, the house full of people, family, friends, lots of homemade food, desserts, the classic fruit salad for dessert, the toast at 12 am and then the party, music, dancing...I had a great experience! :)

I can assure you that it is like that haha...I was lucky enough to spend this Christmas at my friend's house who lives in Palermo, it was really an incredible experience, the house full of people, family, friends, lots of homemade food, desserts, the classic fruit salad for dessert, the toast at 12 am and then the party, music, dancing...I had a great experience! :)
Yep that is exactly how it is. You really will enjoy Christmas in Buenos Aires if you know some locals and get invited to their place. Otherwise it can be a bit dull there. Some restaurants have events or dinners but mostly the city is quiet as everything is with their friends and family. The same goes for NYE as well.

Yep that is exactly how it is. You really will enjoy Christmas in Buenos Aires if you know some locals and get invited to their place. Otherwise it can be a bit dull there. Some restaurants have events or dinners but mostly the city is quiet as everything is with their friends and family. The same goes for NYE as well.
Yes, I always thought it was very boring here for tourists if they were just going to a restaurant. Each time we have a friend that has friends in town during the holidays we always invite them to our NYE celebration.

We had 40 at our family do in Villa del Parque.

I was the designated driver , so i was on good behaviour!

We arrange for an agreed meal, and we split the cost between the adults - this time sandwiches de lomito y de bondiola , loads of salads and some choripan - the girls bring dessert and we usually have too much.

I had a couple of beers at 8.00pm and after that water . We left around 02.00am to come back up to Escobar - the one hour journey took a little bit more than normal due to weather and a couple of accidents . I am more of a New Year guy , so this was all fine for me.

We had 40 at our family do in Villa del Parque.

I was the designated driver , so i was on good behaviour!

We arrange for an agreed meal, and we split the cost between the adults - this time sandwiches de lomito y de bondiola , loads of salads and some choripan - the girls bring dessert and we usually have too much.

I had a couple of beers at 8.00pm and after that water . We left around 02.00am to come back up to Escobar - the one hour journey took a little bit more than normal due to weather and a couple of accidents . I am more of a New Year guy , so this was all fine for me.
Wow!! Is this all family members? You sound my my wife's family. I'm always amazed at how many extended family members the locals have. The younger generations aren't really having kids so I'm not sure parties will be so big 10-20 years from now. Her family is older now. Some moved to Spain but for as much as they complain how bad the economy is they all seem to be doing well.

Smart on splitting the costs for 40! That used to be a problem for my wife's parents. They used to always host as their house is so big in San Isidro but they always picked up the tab. Until we all offered to split they stopped doing events. But no one has a place that big and no one wants to cook so it's a win/win. I figure we'd spend far more money doing it in a fancy restaurant.

I agree about NYE but Christmas Eve I never get home before about 1:30 AM. NYE though ends up being very late. We usually just sleep at her parent's house as they have a lot of bedrooms and I always hit the booze too hard.

Wow!! Is this all family members? You sound my my wife's family. I'm always amazed at how many extended family members the locals have. The younger generations aren't really having kids so I'm not sure parties will be so big 10-20 years from now. Her family is older now. Some moved to Spain but for as much as they complain how bad the economy is they all seem to be doing well.

Smart on splitting the costs for 40! That used to be a problem for my wife's parents. They used to always host as their house is so big in San Isidro but they always picked up the tab. Until we all offered to split they stopped doing events. But no one has a place that big and no one wants to cook so it's a win/win. I figure we'd spend far more money doing it in a fancy restaurant.

I agree about NYE but Christmas Eve I never get home before about 1:30 AM. NYE though ends up being very late. We usually just sleep at her parent's house as they have a lot of bedrooms and I always hit the booze too hard.
Yip all family members - aunts, uncles, cousins and second cousins - if there hadnt been 2/3 divorces/separations , there would have been more than 50!

We also have a couple of guys who loved doing the parilla ! And I love keeping them hydrated!

note that Christmas Eve was fully-open for restaurants and businesses until about 5pm, when i couldn't find anything other than a 24-hour Kiosk with hotdogs open (most 24-hour things were closed on Xmas Eve night). Christmas Day stuff opened around 12:00 noon and then it was business as usual

New Year's now, i have been asking locals around Palermo Chico. the gist is that it's normal hours until about 16:00 today 31Dec, then everything other than bars will shut-down, and may people are closed 01Jan (Monday), but business as usual 02Jan (Tuesday)

for those here in South America, @BowTiedMara gave a good warning about gunshots:

note that Christmas Eve was fully-open for restaurants and businesses until about 5pm, when i couldn't find anything other than a 24-hour Kiosk with hotdogs open (most 24-hour things were closed on Xmas Eve night). Christmas Day stuff opened around 12:00 noon and then it was business as usual

New Year's now, i have been asking locals around Palermo Chico. the gist is that it's normal hours until about 16:00 today 31Dec, then everything other than bars will shut-down, and may people are closed 01Jan (Monday), but business as usual 02Jan (Tuesday)

for those here in South America, @BowTiedMara gave a good warning about gunshots:

I think this rain of bullets is more a thing in Mexico. I celebrated one NYE there and people were shooting off guns in the air. In Argentina we don't have many guns here.

Totally agree with you - 15 New Years here and I still haven't seen a gun - even fireworks are becoming less common.
Same. Argentina is very fortunate that there are almost no guns here except by law enforcement. I believe it's the reason it's very safe despite all the economic problems. I hope it never changes.

This never happen in Argentina. We don't have guns. We know you want lots of guns to do this @StatusNomadicus as you love guns but my country no has these things.

Back