Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer How Is Heating in Homes in Buenos Aires?

lynda

Hi, I’m from the U.S. and thinking about moving to Buenos Aires. I’m currently in Australia, where homes tend to be really cold indoors because of the construction methods, even with heaters. I’m curious if Buenos Aires has similar issues with indoor heating or if the homes there are better insulated. If you could share your experiences in the comments :)
Thanks!

Insulation in Buenos Aires is quite poor compared to homes in places that are really prepared for cold weather. If you’re someone who suffers a lot from the cold, I’d recommend looking for an apartment (not a house), avoiding the top and bottom floors, and choosing one with a good heating system like radiators or “losa radiante” (radiant floor heating). In houses, heating is often provided by air conditioners, and some have powerful gas heaters, but these aren’t very common.

I’m American. Yes, it’s the same in Buenos Aires. I remember having to bundle up inside my apartment, using multiple layers; there was no radiant floor heating, which is probably why. So, I have to tell you that it seems like they don’t insulate the walls in Buenos Aires; they’re made of concrete without the thermal foam insulation found in the U.S. Additionally, I’ve heard that this winter, in particular, is one of the coldest on record. If cold is a major concern for you, I’d suggest considering moving to a tropical country. I hope this helps!

In my apartment there is only heating via hot/cold AC split units on the wall. They work quite well as you can regulate the temperature but the floor is usually very cold. We also have some plug in radiators that warm up nicely but I think they use a lot of electricity.

Houses and apartments in Argentina are built to a high standard, using full masonry construction. This is quite different from the 💩 timber frame houses commonly found in Australia and the U.S. Masonry buildings in Argentina offer greater durability and better thermal mass, helping to regulate indoor temperatures more effectively. In contrast, the timber frame constructions in Australia and the U.S. often need additional insulation and can struggle with temperature control, especially in extreme weather.

I have to admit that they are more aesthetically pleasing, but focusing on aesthetics rather than functionality can make the problem worse. In particular, I don’t understand why houses don’t have basements; they would benefit the environment by helping to keep the home warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I still haven’t seen a ground-floor house or apartment without mold.

What I don't understand is why they blast the heat so high in many stores. It's crazy now that electricity is so expensive yet they have the temperature set in many stores almost to where you can't breath.

What I don't understand is why they blast the heat so high in many stores. It's crazy now that electricity is so expensive yet they have the temperature set in many stores almost to where you can't breath.
Yeah, you're right! I've noticed that too, then they complain about the electric bills.

If you go further south where it's colder, the houses are nice and cozy inside. I lived in Bariloche, and all the houses I visited were beautiful and comfortable inside. There are many cabins, and I never had any heating issues there.

Back