Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

How much does a retail employee earn in July 2024 in Buenos Aires?

Flamingo

Great that many retail employees are getting raises. It sounds like that union negotiated 13.5% raises. Today's exchange rate is 1,440 pesos to $1 USD. Salaries are going up but still low.

Salaries for retail employees in July 2024​

In July, employees in the sector will receive the following amounts, corresponding to the work performed in June , according to the category to which they belong.

How much do janitorial staff earn in July 2024?​

• Category A: $732,910
  • Category B: $735,032
  • Category C: $742,465

How much do administrative workers earn in July 2024?​

• Category A: $740,874
  • Category B: $744,062
  • Category C: $747,247
  • Category D: $756,806
  • Category E: $764,769
  • Category F: $776,452

How much do cashiers earn in July 2024?​

• Category A: $743,528
  • Category B: $747,247
  • Category C: $752,026

How much do assistants earn in July 2024?​

• Category B: $748,838
  • Category C: $766,363

How much do special assistants earn in July 2024?​

• Category A: $749,903
  • Category B: $759,460

How much do sellers earn in July 2024?​

• Category B: $759,461
  • Category C: $764,769
  • Category D: $776,452

Crazy that a janitor earns the same as cashiers. I don't know how locals make it from one month to the next on these really low salaries. Buenos Aires is actually not a cheap city. Groceries and restaurant bills add up. Also, add in the increase in subway and bus fares and this all has to be brutal.

I wonder if there's any USA expats doing a job like that. Imagine someone who wants to live here, already has savings and apartment paid off. They aren't interested in working online. So they get a job McDonalds for something to do

Or if someone spoke 80 percent Spanish and wanted to get native level. It would be like getting paid $500 a month for intensive immersion Spanish classes

I wonder if there's any USA expats doing a job like that. Imagine someone who wants to live here, already has savings and apartment paid off. They aren't interested in working online. So they get a job McDonalds for something to do

Or if someone spoke 80 percent Spanish and wanted to get native level. It would be like getting paid $500 a month for intensive immersion Spanish classes
I always wondered if anyone did this too. I have seen lots of Mercosur people working in fast food. Met some people from Venezuela or Colombia or Brazil working fast food but never any Americans. That would be cool to see. @BikeEnthusiast would you ever do it?

I always wondered if anyone did this too. I have seen lots of Mercosur people working in fast food. Met some people from Venezuela or Colombia or Brazil working fast food but never any Americans. That would be cool to see. @BikeEnthusiast would you ever do it?
Hey this gives me a really good idea :) I pretty much fit the criteria and actually enjoyed working fast food way back in the day. No way would I do it full time, but would consider something part-time potentially if it was fun and a good way to meet locals and improve my Spanish.

Another option, without savings nor paid off place, is working at a hostel. In exchange for working some provide room and board.

Hey this gives me a really good idea :) I pretty much fit the criteria and actually enjoyed working fast food way back in the day. No way would I do it full time, but would consider something part-time potentially if it was fun and a good way to meet locals and improve my Spanish.

Another option, without savings nor paid off place, is working at a hostel. In exchange for working some provide room and board.
@FuturoBA I don't know if you're kidding or not but I have a friend from Venezuela that worked at McDonald's in Recoleta Village. This was right after she moved here. She was finishing up a degree so just working temporarily but she said she loved it. She ended up meeting her husband that way. She said she got asked out on dates every single day. So probably a popular way to meet people.

I would love to see a gringo working at McDonald's in BA. That would be a sight to see!

@FuturoBA I don't know if you're kidding or not but I have a friend from Venezuela that worked at McDonald's in Recoleta Village. This was right after she moved here. She was finishing up a degree so just working temporarily but she said she loved it. She ended up meeting her husband that way. She said she got asked out on dates every single day. So probably a popular way to meet people.

I would love to see a gringo working at McDonald's in BA. That would be a sight to see!
Same thing happened here in the states with some of the workers I worked with getting married. And the spot I worked, many of the workers(esp the cooks) were brothers or cousins so it had that family vibe going on. Big thing I recall is how well each day was depended on who was working the same shift more so than how busy or what type of customers came thru.

And to answer your question I am serious for something to consider, just not maybe McDonald's and that may be more my imagination of how it is vs here in the states. In BA are the workers more adults and young adults as opposed to teens?

But if I do apply do you think I could use any of y'all as a reference :) I already have I think two years of fast food experience... And now I can already see it going like the scene in American Beauty lol

Last edited:
Same thing happened here in the states with some of the workers I worked with getting married. And the spot I worked, many of the workers(esp the cooks) were brothers or cousins so it had that family vibe going on. Big thing I recall is how well each day was depended on who was working the same shift more so than how busy or what type of customers came thru.

And to answer your question I am serious for something to consider, just not maybe McDonald's and that may be more my imagination of how it is vs here in the states. In BA are the workers more adults and young adults as opposed to teens?

But if I do apply do you think I could use any of y'all as a reference :) I already have I think two years of fast food experience... And now I can already see it going like the scene in American Beauty lol
Do you have your DNI or temporary or permanent residency here @FuturoBA? To work at a formal company you will have to have DNI. I am fluent and could find part time jobs as a private nurse with private families but it was tough to find a job there at a hospital. The biggest issue I had in BA was salaries were all very very low even with a degree and experience and being bilingual.

In high school I worked at a Subway and hated it but it was a good way to meet people. In BA I noticed more of the workers were younger at the fast food places. This might change now with the unemployment rates so high. I couldn't believe how expensive fast food was yet people would always go there. Maybe it's different now.

That is a good way to look at it. I think most tourists would never do something like this.

Do you have your DNI or temporary or permanent residency here @FuturoBA? To work at a formal company you will have to have DNI. I am fluent and could find part time jobs as a private nurse with private families but it was tough to find a job there at a hospital. The biggest issue I had in BA was salaries were all very very low even with a degree and experience and being bilingual.

In high school I worked at a Subway and hated it but it was a good way to meet people. In BA I noticed more of the workers were younger at the fast food places. This might change now with the unemployment rates so high. I couldn't believe how expensive fast food was yet people would always go there. Maybe it's different now.
I wouldn't do it for the salary and I'm sure many of these places pay en negro anyhow. I would do it for free just to meet and improve my Spanish as long as I could choose my hours.

Wow those are really low! That's only like $535 USD at today's exchange rate yes? Wow that's crazy. My maid here from Cuba makes something like $35 bucks per hour here in Florida. So she makes more in 2 days than these people earn all month. Wild.
Wow! Do maids really make that much in Florida? I thought it was full of people from all over Latin America. I figured rates would be cheap there.

Back