Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer How to Obtain a Driver’s License in Argentina with a Japanese Permit

Hiroshi

Hello everyone. I’m new to Buenos Aires and need to convert my Japanese driver’s license to an Argentine one. The Japanese embassy suggested they could issue a temporary permit. Has anyone navigated the process of getting a driver’s license here? Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

need to convert my Japanese driver’s license to an Argentine one
you sure? whoever told you that, if true, should be able to direct you on how to get it done!

from @BowTiedMara's substack:

"you can only drive a car for 6 months max on a foreign license. If you get into an accident after that, you’re f’d."

i'm in a weird phase where i have a Precaria and have been here 8 months, but no DNI, so i'm sort of stuck in limbo right now, where i don't think i can drive or rent a car technically (could i get away with it? probably), but i can't get an Argentine driver license yet. i don't know the answer, but if you're on a 3-6 month Tourist Visa, no need to get a new license from what i understand. if you have been here longer, and have a Residency now, let me know what you find out @Hiroshi

I recently obtained my driver’s license here in Argentina. Although I have a US license, I was informed that Argentina doesn't have agreements with many countries to transfer licenses. I had to secure residency to get my DNI. I then had to sign up for a class, pass a written test, and complete a practical exam at the municipal office. I was issued a beginner’s license valid for 6 months, which restricts me from driving on highways or main avenues (essentially limiting me to local driving). Best of luck with your driver's license process!

I think you can use your Japanese license for up to a year after arriving in the country. After that period, you'll need to obtain an Argentine driver’s license.

Here's the website with all the information:

1723058201273.jpeg

you sure? whoever told you that, if true, should be able to direct you on how to get it done!

"you can only drive a car for 6 months max on a foreign license. If you get into an accident after that, you’re f’d."

i'm in a weird phase where i have a Precaria and have been here 8 months, but no DNI, so i'm sort of stuck in limbo right now, where i don't think i can drive or rent a car technically (could i get away with it? probably), but i can't get an Argentine driver license yet. i don't know the answer, but if you're on a 3-6 month Tourist Visa, no need to get a new license from what i understand. if you have been here longer, and have a Residency now, let me know what you find out @Hiroshi
Are you renting a car @StatusNomadicus? I met an expat that was living in BA for years and he said that he always rents cars while going to Bariloche and other places while on extended trips. He never had any issues. He just said he gets the full insurance when he rents cars. Or are you talking about buying a car? I don't see why you wouldn't be able to drive or rent a car. Just have insurance coverage.

Also, if this is anywhere else like most of Latin America, if you get a speeding ticket or something, you can probably always pay the cop to not write a ticket. I have done this several times in Mexico.

You shouldn't have any issues renting a car @StatusNomadicus. Don't quote me on this but I didn't get my DNI right away after moving here and didn't have any issues at all renting a car. Just get the full insurance while renting. I was already living here and once I got in a fender bender while renting my car but one of the credit cards I used covered the damage. People here in Argentina are not sue crazy like in the States.

You shouldn't have any issues renting a car @StatusNomadicus. Don't quote me on this but I didn't get my DNI right away after moving here and didn't have any issues at all renting a car. Just get the full insurance while renting. I was already living here and once I got in a fender bender while renting my car but one of the credit cards I used covered the damage. People here in Argentina are not sue crazy like in the States.
I'm not sure what the situation is like now but I would agree with Vince that I doubt anyone will know or care. I bought a car many years ago and I never got an Argentina driver's license the first several years that I owned my car. I bought a brand new car from the dealership. It was imported so it took a while to get here but at no time did anyone ever force me to have an Argentine driver's license. Maybe they are stricter with the laws now but I was able to get insurance with my USA driver's license. I traveled around all the time and took it on the Buquebus ferry back and forth from Argentina to Uruguay and vice versa as I had a house over in Punta del Este and it was actually the main reason that I bought the car. Rental cars were so expensive in Uruguay so I mainly used the car to use over in Uruguay.

But I drove it around here as well quite a bit, got pulled over by police before for speeding and never had any issues whatsoever. I did have a DNI already but I just didn't have time the first few years to get a driver's license and no one hassled me at all.

I'm not sure what the situation is like now but I would agree with Vince that I doubt anyone will know or care. I bought a car many years ago and I never got an Argentina driver's license the first several years that I owned my car. I bought a brand new car from the dealership. It was imported so it took a while to get here but at no time did anyone ever force me to have an Argentine driver's license. Maybe they are stricter with the laws now but I was able to get insurance with my USA driver's license. I traveled around all the time and took it on the Buquebus ferry back and forth from Argentina to Uruguay and vice versa as I had a house over in Punta del Este and it was actually the main reason that I bought the car. Rental cars were so expensive in Uruguay so I mainly used the car to use over in Uruguay.

But I drove it around here as well quite a bit, got pulled over by police before for speeding and never had any issues whatsoever. I did have a DNI already but I just didn't have time the first few years to get a driver's license and no one hassled me at all.
@earlyretirement I probably already know the answer but I assume you never actually paid for the speeding ticket?? :ROFLMAO:

Hello everyone. I’m new to Buenos Aires and need to convert my Japanese driver’s license to an Argentine one. The Japanese embassy suggested they could issue a temporary permit. Has anyone navigated the process of getting a driver’s license here? Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Getting a license here is similar to anywhere else. You need to go to the DMV and pass the necessary tests. Plus, since the drivers here aren’t known for being great, I’m sure it’s not too difficult to get through the process.

I have lived here 15 years and never got a local driver's license. I just continue to get my USA license renewed every 4 years when it needs to be renewed. I went to my local AAA to get an International permit and use those together when I rent cars here. Never had any problems or issues at all. But I have not purchased a car here. This is only for renting cars inside Argentina.

Back