Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer In Buenos Aires, homeless people are freezing to death

CecilM

Already three people have died in just one weekend due to this cold wave. I think Milei should stop putting on such a show and start addressing important issues like this. It's sad that people are dying from the cold...😥

But I am l read that there are already homeless shelters. So the resources are out there but some choose not to use them. You can’t blame him for that.

It’s heartbreaking to think about those who have nowhere to go in this harsh cold. As a society, we need to do better. We must find ways to help and protect our most vulnerable, ensuring they have the basic necessities to survive. This situation calls for empathy, compassion, and immediate action to prevent further tragedies. I’ve read that the government is trying to expand its aid to prevent this by placing more workers in the sector that handles these emergencies. 🥲

People who are exposed to the elements during this cold wave are the most vulnerable, a reality that many choose to ignore. Even though the government has increased the number of workers helping out, the aid is still not enough. Extra help is always welcome and necessary, like the support from non-profit organizations that distribute hot meals, blankets, and warm clothing every night to those living on the streets, who are the most affected by this polar cold wave.

After the first three months of the government of ultra-liberal Javier Milei, the Buenos Aires statistics bureau reported that the destitution rate hit ceilings since it began being measured in 2015. The rate doubled to 16 percent from the first quarter of 2023.

Four homeless people have died of hypothermia over the last few weeks in Buenos Aires amid a cold snap.
This is truly sad :(

Also, next week the polar cold returns with temperatures dropping below zero starting Monday. I hope the government takes action on this because it’s really sad to see people sleeping on the streets in this cold. I understand there’s a program for the homeless to prevent them from sleeping outside, but it seems to have many shortcomings, as most people prefer not to go there.

Back