Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

In Order not to be Poor a family needs to earn more than 989,000 pesos

Larry

My heart breaks for all the locals that are struggling to pay the bills. Especially those that have children and have higher supermarket bills to feed their families. Everyone assumes that all expats have plenty of money but many are on fixed incomes and barely getting by. I am guessing many expats are like me and retired and on fixed incomes and the prices of things are getting very dear. People are stretched to the limit.

I think many on this forum are out of touch with reality of how it is for the majority of Argentines struggling to feed their families.

My heart breaks for all the locals that are struggling to pay the bills. Especially those that have children and have higher supermarket bills to feed their families. Everyone assumes that all expats have plenty of money but many are on fixed incomes and barely getting by. I am guessing many expats are like me and retired and on fixed incomes and the prices of things are getting very dear. People are stretched to the limit.

I think many on this forum are out of touch with reality of how it is for the majority of Argentines struggling to feed their families.

Thank you @Larry. It is a good reminder to everyone what the situation is in this country. Many are struggling and can't make it to the end of each month. I know many people like this. I have friends that were retired and moved here and ended up moving back to their home countries to live with relatives or their adult children because they assumed things would be very affordable here and are no longer as cheap as it once was.

And the reality is that they will most likely get more expensive. No one knows the future. I am on a limited income and by the grace of God I don't have a rent. If I had to pay rent I wouldn't make it each month.

Very sad indeed @Larry. It is one thing I want to be aware of anywhere I decide to relocate to. I think if you're not sure then it makes sense to rent but one thing I see in common with a lot of expats in different countries when cost of living gets expensive is most of the ones that own vs. rent are in a much better position to stay there. That is the #1 most expensive thing for most people.

Thank you @Larry. It is a good reminder to everyone what the situation is in this country. Many are struggling and can't make it to the end of each month. I know many people like this. I have friends that were retired and moved here and ended up moving back to their home countries to live with relatives or their adult children because they assumed things would be very affordable here and are no longer as cheap as it once was.

And the reality is that they will most likely get more expensive. No one knows the future. I am on a limited income and by the grace of God I don't have a rent. If I had to pay rent I wouldn't make it each month.
I too appreciate your posts @Larry. I'm a long time lurker but I wanted to say thank you for your posts. Indeed it is tough now. This is my toughest time in 15 years living here. Food prices are higher than ever.

Very sad indeed @Larry. It is one thing I want to be aware of anywhere I decide to relocate to. I think if you're not sure then it makes sense to rent but one thing I see in common with a lot of expats in different countries when cost of living gets expensive is most of the ones that own vs. rent are in a much better position to stay there. That is the #1 most expensive thing for most people.
Tough times. No doubt about it. It is always difficult when you are on a fixed income. Most of us retired are in the same boat. I certainly would be in a tough situation if I didn't buy my apartment and I was renting. But that is the same no matter what country you are in. Rental rates in the States have skyrocketed as well. I couldn't afford to move back to the States now if I didn't own a place there too. Prices have gone up here but they are still much lower overall vs. USA.

No one is arguing this current recession is difficult and painful and a bit scary for many. I talk to people here all the time and they say it's the toughest time they can recall. My doorman in my building who is always cheerful and in a good mood has been somber recently. Other people I know tell me of having to sell jewelry and spend dwindling savings. It is not easy to hear these stories. I too have had friends move out of Argentina in search of other places like Spain.

I do believe that things will improve now that Milei's Omnibus has passed. It still needs some revisions from the Congress but change will happen. Just not sure how long it will take to trickle down and we see changes.

The hope is with this labor reform, tax reform, incentives for foreign investments and new emergency powers by Milei that things will turn around. It won't be immediate.

Back