Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Inquiries regarding the general strike scheduled for January 24th

sounds like there was a big showing at Congress today, but i haven't heard a thing here in Belgrano as of 18:00.

flight-wise, is this still true? "Virtually all flights canceled due to national strike in Argentina" https://buenosairesherald.com/socie...-canceled-due-to-national-strike-in-argentina

BAH says gov't workers will strike not just 12, but 24 hours: https://buenosairesherald.com/socie...unions-to-march-against-javier-mileis-reforms
I don't blame illegal expat for not knowing my country and how things are. You don't know anything about Argentina. You stay illegally in my country and pretend you understand Argentina.

All the people fed up!

There was a HUGE turnout. I saw the news and it was a big turn out. It is clear that people don't understand that Milei's changes will take time. Funny now everyone I know all say they didn't vote for him. I doubt he will finish his term.
I went to the protest and more than I thought would come. Even the bus line close and many people have no way home but they still come. No one say that Milei cause all these problems. We say he doing wrong solutions in the wrong way. One thing after today I know he will never finish his term. It like you say @Vince. Now all the people claim they never voted for Milei! It funny! Most people I know admit Massa would be better for Argentina. Today show the people tired already of Milei.

Tthe turnout was way below previous general strikes. I reckon Milei will be happy as not that many tuRned up at the city centre demonstartion.

But he will be pissd at the withdrawal of flights , trains and buses.
How many people went? I watched the news and it looked like a big turn out to me. Almost all the flights are cancelled. On the news, most of the stores they showed were all closed.

I also watched the news and I'm not sure how many but it looked like a lot of people. And the transport strikes starts here at 7 PM tonight. Aerolineas Argentina cancelled more than 250 flights today. JetSmart also cancelled all flights today. Horrible for the economy.
Outside of the downtown area you would never know there was anything going on. Business as usual.

I don't blame illegal expat for not knowing my country and how things are. You don't know anything about Argentina. You stay illegally in my country and pretend you understand Argentina.

All the people fed up!

I went to the protest and more than I thought would come. Even the bus line close and many people have no way home but they still come. No one say that Milei cause all these problems. We say he doing wrong solutions in the wrong way. One thing after today I know he will never finish his term. It like you say @Vince. Now all the people claim they never voted for Milei! It funny! Most people I know admit Massa would be better for Argentina. Today show the people tired already of Milei.
I go to the protest today with my friends. Very peaceful protest and very full with people upset. @Avocado you are right about idiot expat that don't know Argentina. Best is to just ignore people like that. They pretend to understand Argentina and never will understand our country.

All the people very angry. All my family say the same thing that Milei will never finish his term. I agree.

I go to the protest today with my friends. Very peaceful protest and very full with people upset. @Avocado you are right about idiot expat that don't know Argentina. Best is to just ignore people like that. They pretend to understand Argentina and never will understand our country.

All the people very angry. All my family say the same thing that Milei will never finish his term. I agree.
I am all for the right for people to peacefully protest. I don't pretend to know all the issues the locals are facing. I just have been there one time. But it seems clear many want to blame someone and Milei happens to be that guy but issues and problems go back many decades from the looks of things.

Milei is not to blame for the mess

His new law wants to address all the issues very quickly

But many people are angry that they will lose their benefits and privileges - its very strange that the people protesting didn't open their mouths during the last 4 years.
I don't think people were not complaining the past few years. People haven't been happy for a while. I don't think anyone is arguing about fixing things. But sticking it to the poor that are already hurting and doing it so quickly is going to back fire on Milei. It's too much too soon.

I don't think people were not complaining the past few years. People haven't been happy for a while. I don't think anyone is arguing about fixing things. But sticking it to the poor that are already hurting and doing it so quickly is going to back fire on Milei. It's too much too soon.
@Larry , if he didn't do what he did, real hyperinflation was a huge risk due to Massa printing money and doing nothing to control the fiscal deficit.

Three or four months of slightly higher inflation is a controlled bet to try and tame the inflation monster. No one in four years tried to control inflation

The only airlines operating at Ezeiza were FlyBondi and American Airlines who handle their own ramp operations.

All other ramp operations for other airlines are in the hands of Intercargo , a trade union controlled by La Campora
I was supposed to fly out today (January 25) but my flight was severely delayed so I decided to just try my chance at an award ticket with American Airlines instead. The 10:30 PM flight to DFW (on January 24 - the day of the strike) was delayed until 3:00 AM but I was able to leave last night. I got to the airport early thinking the flights were all cancelled and the airport would be dead but luckily I went early. The airport as chaotic as many flights just waited until midnight and then operated as usual.

I'm in Dallas now and the flight promptly left at 3 AM. I never can find award tickets that are reasonably priced but I guess at the last minute if they have seats, they will release it. To leave today, January 25 it was 130,000 miles. But I snagged a 30,000 point award to get back home.

@Larry , if he didn't do what he did, real hyperinflation was a huge risk due to Massa printing money and doing nothing to control the fiscal deficit.

Three or four months of slightly higher inflation is a controlled bet to try and tame the inflation monster. No one in four years tried to control inflation
I completely agree. I realize the locals are upset and want someone to blame. It's human nature. I've often said that Milei will probably regret winning. To me, it's almost a no-win situation as he inherited such a mess. That kind of mess doesn't get solved in months or even years.

I agree hyper-inflation would have most likely set in if Massa won. It's going to be a tough task ahead.

I completely agree. I realize the locals are upset and want someone to blame. It's human nature. I've often said that Milei will probably regret winning. To me, it's almost a no-win situation as he inherited such a mess. That kind of mess doesn't get solved in months or even years.

I agree hyper-inflation would have most likely set in if Massa won. It's going to be a tough task ahead.
Interesting point and it remains to be seen if people will allow him to finish his term. I read a good article on Milei today.

I was supposed to fly out today (January 25) but my flight was severely delayed so I decided to just try my chance at an award ticket with American Airlines instead. The 10:30 PM flight to DFW (on January 24 - the day of the strike) was delayed until 3:00 AM but I was able to leave last night. I got to the airport early thinking the flights were all cancelled and the airport would be dead but luckily I went early. The airport as chaotic as many flights just waited until midnight and then operated as usual.

I'm in Dallas now and the flight promptly left at 3 AM. I never can find award tickets that are reasonably priced but I guess at the last minute if they have seats, they will release it. To leave today, January 25 it was 130,000 miles. But I snagged a 30,000 point award to get back home.
My sister also flew out last night from EZE and she said it was a zoo! People lined up waiting until midnight for things to resume. She sent me a video and I have never seen lines like that before.

Tthe turnout was way below previous general strikes. I reckon Milei will be happy as not that many tuRned up at the city centre demonstartion.

Is it true that Alberto Fernandez didn't have to deal with any general strikes? Funny if so that none of these people complained about the crazy inflation the years he was President. Then again I guess half of it they were locked in their homes with the COVID lock down!

How do those of us not living there know the true # of protestors? I saw the news and drone videos and it looks like a LOT of people. But the government is only saying 40,000 people and protestors are saying up to 500,000. what is the true #?

How do those of us not living there know the true # of protestors? I saw the news and drone videos and it looks like a LOT of people. But the government is only saying 40,000 people and protestors are saying up to 500,000. what is the true #?
I went to the protest with my friends. There were far more than 40,000 persons. It was very full. I don't know the real # but it was far more than 40,000. That problem with this government. They always lie. Patricia Bullrich is a liar and horrible.

I doubt he will finish his term.
whaaaaa? because a tiny majority of the populace are loud perma-protestors? what changed in the past 47 days? nothing; Milei said things take up to 2 years to happen in the economy, and his supporters agreed that they were willing to risk everything to go against the same old 70-100 years of communism that caused 50% poverty levels. not sure what you're reading, but i feel optimism in the air, and people seem to be going about their daily lives.

i'm grateful there was no large-scale violence in Buenos Aires this week, just like i'm grateful Canadian courts ruled Trudeau's emergency actions were illegal, and just like i'm grateful that the US Border Patrol isn't taking action against Biden's threats to the Texas National Guard this weekend :)

@earlyretirement glad you got a flight, and nice snag on the 30k! the cheapest i've seen is just below that; hopefully with more de-regulation we see cheaper flights to/from Argentina, especially the other provinces! safe travels and enjoy your time with the fam. holler if you need any fixing here while you're gone...i'm in Belgrano for a month

Back