Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Inquiries regarding the general strike scheduled for January 24th

maxtower

I'm scheduled to reach Ezeiza International Airport (EZE) on January 24, the day of the general strike. Could there be difficulties reaching Libertador Hotel in the city center, and should I consider booking an alternative hotel outside the city center?

I'm also curious about the duration of the strike. I've planned a visit to Iguazu Falls on January 26, and I'm wondering if the strike will conclude by then, ensuring no disruptions in transportation to Jorge Newbery Airport (AEP) and Iguazu International Airport (IGR).

Any information on the scope of the general strike and its potential impact would be appreciated.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I wasn't aware that a strike was in the works!

I'm interested in understanding the potential impact on daily life. Will there be a shutdown of rail and bus transport? What about essential services like supermarkets, bakeries, and butchers? I assume even businesses unrelated to the strike, such as butchers or fruit vendors, might be affected due to unionized truck deliveries.

Anticipating the actual impact or scope of a strike in advance is challenging. It could be canceled last-minute, and certain unions may choose not to participate.

The strike is set for a duration of 12 hours, from midnight on the 23rd until noon on the 24th. Flights arriving or departing during that period might face rescheduling.

Aerolineas Argentinas is expected to announce the finalized flight schedule 48 hours before the strike. Unfortunately, uncertainty about the status of flights is likely for those planning to travel on that day.

Historically, taxis have operated during strikes, but public transportation may be affected.

@jonas18 Adherence to the strike likely differs from one neighborhood to another. In past strikes, I recall all establishments in San Telmo being shut, with deserted streets (though supermarkets and Chinese-owned stores may have remained open, but I'm uncertain). I assume the situation might have been different in Belgrano and Palermo. @sarita , can you recall the conditions in Palermo during those times?

@Stela , if my memory serves me correctly, general strikes resembled a Sunday. No banks, no government offices in operation, and the major supermarkets closed. However, I believe that small stores, those managed by their owners, remained open. Additionally, some cafes and restaurants may have stayed open as well.

I could be mistaken, but I tend to think that individuals who receive a monthly salary usually refrain from working during strikes, whereas those whose income relies on daily labor often attempt to conduct "business as usual."

Indeed, it appears unusual to have a strike scheduled from midnight to noon.

If your recollection includes small stores being open, it indicates that the situation varies by neighborhood. However, it's important to note that the last national strike took place during the Macri administration, before San Telmo transformed into a tourist hotspot. Consequently, there's a possibility that more establishments may choose to remain open now.

Thank you, everyone, for the input. It's helpful to have an idea of what to anticipate so we can be prepared. It's comforting to learn that the strike is intended to last only 12 hours until noon on January 24. I hope there won't be cancellations for flights arriving at Ezeiza, particularly international flights.

Argentina has had many strikes before but this is the first "big one" after Milei has been elected so we will see how it goes. So far, the protests have been tame for threat of getting arrested if they block traffic. Normally traffic is horrible. This is something that I'm glad Milei is tough to avoid protestors blocking the streets.

from midnight on the 23rd until noon on the 24th
do you have a link to the union's website/etc. for where you got this? @sarita

the first "big one" after Milei has been elected
any idea if there are concrete demands, or this is just an all-hands-on-deck Commie piquetera festival as usual?

i was told there is still a protest tomorrow, when i was at a health food store around 10am today. he said he was a little worried about violence, but the store will be open. he didn't mention an overnight protest; i feel like he would have said that, since their hours aren't really during most of that timeframe (this is in Belgrano where i just moved to). usually protests are visibility events, so during the daylight.

ah, just found where @sarita got confused...here's the article: https://buenosairesherald.com/polit...w-public-services-will-work-during-the-strike

"The national strike will take place on January 24 between noon and midnight."

so, 12:00-24:00 tomorrow, exactly 24 hours from when i'm editing this.

"Between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. there will be a rally in which the CGT leaders will speak on a stage set up on Entre Ríos Avenue in front of Congress."

FLIGHTS:

@Digital Nomad "Flights between 12 p.m. and midnight may be delayed or canceled, given that the Argentine Confederation of Transport Workers — which also groups taxi drivers — said they will be joining the strike. Communicating any changes in flights will depend on each airline." - hope that helps you plan

@earlyretirement if you get caught in the protest and need a backup place, WhatsApp me and you can hide on calle Roosevelt in Belgrano : P

Last edited:
do you have a link to the union's website/etc. for where you got this? @sarita

any idea if there are concrete demands, or this is just an all-hands-on-deck Commie piquetera festival as usual?

i was told there is still a protest tomorrow, when i was at a health food store around 10am today. he said he was a little worried about violence, but the store will be open. he didn't mention an overnight protest; i feel like he would have said that, since their hours aren't really during most of that timeframe (this is in Belgrano where i just moved to). usually protests are visibility events, so during the daylight.

ah, just found where @sarita got confused...here's the article: https://buenosairesherald.com/polit...w-public-services-will-work-during-the-strike

"The national strike will take place on January 24 between noon and midnight."

so, 12:00-24:00 tomorrow, exactly 24 hours from when i'm editing this.

"Between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. there will be a rally in which the CGT leaders will speak on a stage set up on Entre Ríos Avenue in front of Congress."

FLIGHTS:

@Digital Nomad "Flights between 12 p.m. and midnight may be delayed or canceled, given that the Argentine Confederation of Transport Workers — which also groups taxi drivers — said they will be joining the strike. Communicating any changes in flights will depend on each airline." - hope that helps you plan

@earlyretirement if you get caught in the protest and need a backup place, WhatsApp me and you can hide on calle Roosevelt in Belgrano : P
I've been so crazy busy this work trip. I am scheduled to fly out the following day. My night flight was delayed but I grabbed an earlier flight in the day so hopefully it's on time. We will see how tomorrow goes.

This US Embassy sent this alert yesterday to my email as I sign up for alerts.

Event: A general strike is planned throughout the country on Wednesday, January 24, and may impact government services and businesses of all types (e.g., supermarkets, restaurants, public transport, taxis, and aviation). In association with the general strike, unions and political parties plan a demonstration on the afternoon of January 24 in the Argentine National Congress area in Buenos Aires. Additional demonstrations and marches may occur in other locations and provinces, particularly in public squares and near government buildings.

U.S. citizens should practice vigilance and remember that demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and may escalate.

Consular services at the U.S. Embassy will remain open.

Actions to Take:

• Avoid areas of demonstrations.
  • Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
  • Carry a photocopy of your U.S. passport or other valid identification.
  • Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Monitor local media for updates.
  • Reconfirm travel plans.
  • Keep a low profile.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
Phone number: +54 11 5777 4533
Email Address: BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov

State Department – Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

of course CheVos and Avocado are going...they don't do anything all day but post on an Expat forum; this is their calling in life, to bang on pots and be "against the other guy" perpetually (see earlier analysis of Peronism/Fascism/Communism for the Boogeyman psychology that State uses)

all quiet here in Belgrano at 10am. it's going to be 80-85F and super intensely sunny, so hopefully the professional protestors don't last very long, and we can get back to normal life.

checking out the strike or protests today?
nah. i'm just going to do some work and go to the gym and feed my dog, staying in my usual spots so my metadata doesn't amplify any Belgrano strike/protest stuff. so far, haven't heard anything interesting. it's hot and sunny already for sure! mosquitos have been 5% bad the past week :)

sounds like there was a big showing at Congress today, but i haven't heard a thing here in Belgrano as of 18:00.

flight-wise, is this still true? "Virtually all flights canceled due to national strike in Argentina" https://buenosairesherald.com/socie...-canceled-due-to-national-strike-in-argentina

BAH says gov't workers will strike not just 12, but 24 hours: https://buenosairesherald.com/socie...unions-to-march-against-javier-mileis-reforms

and of course @BowTiedMara has a video that's relevant:

piqueteros: is it true they are handing out subsidized Fernet??

Back