Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

WesterCarlson

Considering the proximity of San Isidro or Vicente Lopez to Martinez, is it truly practical to own a car? In certain situations, I've found that relying on a local "transportista" or a private cab for commuting to and from work, as well as for other travel needs like grocery shopping, can be more cost-effective and convenient. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks a bunch!

Residing in the city, I initially believed it was convenient to go without a car. However, the freedom of not relying on anyone and being able to go wherever and whenever I want has its appeal. Particularly during rainy days, finding a cab can be quite challenging. I'm not sure about the cab/remise situation in GBA.

If it's within your budget, getting a car could be beneficial. Plus, you can always sell it later if you find it wasn't worth it. Used cars tend to retain their value quite well in Argentina.

Residing in the city, I initially believed it was convenient to go without a car. However, the freedom of not relying on anyone and being able to go wherever and whenever I want has its appeal. Particularly during rainy days, finding a cab can be quite challenging. I'm not sure about the cab/remise situation in GBA.

If it's within your budget, getting a car could be beneficial. Plus, you can always sell it later if you find it wasn't worth it. Used cars tend to retain their value quite well in Argentina.
Yeah, if you live all the way out there in the sticks I'd say definitely having a car would be worth it and helpful. Public transportation can take forever and a pain I'd think when there are strikes. I had a lot of employees live out there and they mostly depended on public transport and it would take forever in commuting.

But if you live here in the city I don't think it's worth it. Yeah, it's nice when it rains and I'd use it on the weekends and great for Christmas Eve or New Years Eve when getting a taxi is almost impossible. Also, it was great going to the store and not worrying about the delivery service from the stores taking forever.

The things that were a pain is that the drivers over all in the city are horrible, you can easily get dinged or your car hit in parking lots, parking is a major pain and expensive or non-existant in many areas, insurance isn't cheap for newer model cars and also you have to deal with paying rent for a garage if you don't own a garage and the rents have steadily been going up over the years.

Also, keep in mind if you get an imported car it will be expensive and also the annual license plate fee is fairly expensive each year depending on the make/model.

In many countries, car is a necessity.

In BA, its not.

Then , it just becomes a luxury to own one.

If you can afford this luxury, why not?

In many countries, car is a necessity.

In BA, its not.

Then , it just becomes a luxury to own one.

If you can afford this luxury, why not?
Exactly. If you live in the Capital (especially Recoleta or Palermo) then having a car just comes down to it being a luxury. No better way to put it.

Absolutely for some it is worth it. For others it isn't.

I still say the "why not" answers would be hassle of finding parking spots, getting your car hit or dented parking on the street or even in garages (happened to me several times), horrible drivers, etc.

But yes, like Ceviche mentioned...it was a luxury having a car. Even with the hassles, I could easily afford it so just kept it.

And el expatriado is correct that the cars hold their value very well. It only took me a few days to sell my car. DAYS. I just gave it to a broker and I think I agreed to give him 2% commission. He sold it for the asking price and I got paid in dollars as I had an imported car. They paid the cash at the closing. I didn't even have to go. I signed a power of attorney for my father in law to sign. And the broker took care of all the paperwork.

It couldn't have been easier selling it. So from that aspect it was simple.

Earlyretirement,

No offense at all! I reside in Olivos and absolutely adore it! My wife and I share a 2005 Clio. Recently, we covered 2500 km to Cordoba and back, so having a car is a necessity for us. I'm originally from Florida, where "sticks" are common, and I have a Southern heritage. Just injecting a bit of humor!

My office is conveniently located just 3 blocks away, so walking is my preferred mode of commute.

Earlyretirement,

No offense at all! I reside in Olivos and absolutely adore it! My wife and I share a 2005 Clio. Recently, we covered 2500 km to Cordoba and back, so having a car is a necessity for us. I'm originally from Florida, where "sticks" are common, and I have a Southern heritage. Just injecting a bit of humor!

My office is conveniently located just 3 blocks away, so walking is my preferred mode of commute.
Ah great cbonanni! And so wonderful that you live so close to your office. :) I was hoping you were being sarcastic but some of the people on this board seem to be a bit sensitive at times and I certainly didn't want to offend you.

So great that you can live so close to your work.

Back