Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is a VPN necessary?

Fox

Hello. I'll be in Buenos Aires next week, and I've come across recommendations in a few sources suggesting the use of a VPN on my iPhone for security reasons in Argentina. Is this advice accurate? I'm not sure why the risk would be higher here...

If it is necessary, are there any specific VPNs you would recommend?

Using a VPN is a personal preference, especially when utilizing Wi-Fi, and it becomes particularly relevant when conducting transactions involving sensitive personal information. This holds true across the Americas. Have an enjoyable trip!

I use a VPN on my phone primarily for secure banking transactions. However, another key reason I opted for a VPN is to configure it on my Firestick. This enables me to set the Firestick to my home country, granting me access to all the apps specific to my home region, such as Netflix, Apple TV, and my cable package.

Thanks all! Is it advisable to use roaming when relying on mobile data (4G/5G) without WiFi in general?

Why not? It adds an extra layer of security, doesn't it? I have the McAfee protection package, which includes a VPN on my phone. I simply activate it when needed. The only country where it didn't work for me was the UAE

When I'm on the go and utilizing public or hotel Wi-Fi, I consistently employ a VPN for added security. Of course, this isn't necessary, or even feasible, when relying solely on a data roaming package.
I rely on Netshade by RaynerSW for this purpose. It's user-friendly, enabling me to effortlessly download and stream content from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Netflix, and more on my iPad and phone. I've been using it for an extended period, and it has consistently proven to be effective and easy to navigate, with minimal impact on speed.

What are you talking about? In Argentina, the same principles of online security apply as they do anywhere else:

1. Avoid using unprotected or weakly protected WiFi networks. Your device will typically warn you if you're connecting to such a network.
  2. Secure, password-protected WiFi, like in any other country, provides a standard level of security.
  3. Both the WiFi connection and the HTTPS connection to your bank or any other website or app are encrypted, providing two layers of security.
Adding a VPN on top of these existing measures might be considered excessive. Residing in a country like Argentina doesn't alter the effectiveness of these security layers.

Reactions: Fox
Adding a VPN on top of these existing measures might be considered excessive
uhhhh what? what are YOU talking about? he asked about using a VPN. of course we all use open WiFi networks, like the airport, public places, etc. - that's the most important time to use a VPN! and even on a protected site/network, a VPN is 100% of the time a good idea. this is common knowledge for many years now

@Fox always used a VPN. i use www.Mullvad.net because it's out of Sweden, allows payments in Crypto, and has served me well for over 2 years. if i forget to turn it off when i leave the apartment wifi, my "4G" here in Argentina with Movistar gets a little slow (and it's slow compared to the USA to start with). i usually turn it off when i'm out and about, but connect to my Airbnb wifi and immediately turn my VPN back on when i get home

here's a review of Mullvad:

$5.39 USD/month, 10% discount if using Bitcoin Cash (BCH) - so i make payments for a few months when my crypto price spikes. i trust Mullvad because they are super big on privacy. here's what they claim to do:

and i set my location in the USA when i need it, and other countries when needed, since some sites restrict access. note that some websites like some banks will block all detected VPN stuff, so you take the risk of checking bank statements without a VPN. hit me up if you nee any more info of how Mullvad has been in BsAs for 2 months @Fox

Back