Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is Buenos Aires a recommended destination for February 2024?

LisaHyat

I wish the best for Argentina, which deserves more prosperous times.

As a first-time visitor, I'm curious if the current economic challenges make the upcoming month an unfavorable time to travel to Buenos Aires. Are there shortages of food, fuel, electricity, or any signs of civil unrest?

Absolutely it's perfectly fine to visit. You hear a lot of things in the news that aren't true. Yes, the economy has been bad here for many years. Nothing new there. But this is a great time to visit Buenos Aires. Favorable exchange rate and easier to spend on credit cards without having to carry cash around. Plenty of food around, plenty of fuel (not that most would be driving), and no signs of civil unrest.

I am going in February, a trip I booked a year ago. It's our first visit, aside from the Argentine side of Iguassu Falls from Brazil. I'm not particularly concerned about it being an inopportune time to visit. I'm not sure about your experiences in the broader LATAM world, but strikes and other events are not uncommon. As a tourist, you are somewhat insulated from these issues, but there can be instances where plans need to be adjusted, like when we had to change our Machu Picchu visit due to roadblocks and a general strike. A certain level of flexibility is needed, but generally, things tend to work out for tourists. Living there is an entirely different matter. I believe travel agents and advertisers often don't adequately prepare tourists for the potential occurrence of such events.

Buenos Aires is perfectly fine. It is a great time to visit. It is so much more convenient to pay for things now as you can use the MEP rate on credit cards. There was a time when it was a royal hassle as Western Union or bringing tons of cash was the only way to take advantage of the "blue dollar". Now it is so easy and just about every single restaurant takes credit cards now. Uber is very easy and you can use your account from home without issues.

Uber even several years ago was a royal pain as they would make you sit up front and taxis were angry at Uber drivers. Now Taxis use Uber's system as well and sometimes a taxi will show up. Tourism is much easier in Buenos Aires now. I only use cash for regular taxis that don't take credit cards and some small markets or vendors that don't accept credit cards. But all the shopping malls, stores and most restaurants take credit cards now.

The city is very safe and tourists are very welcome in the city.

Two weeks into my stay, I've observed some shortages:

COFFEE: If your accommodation has a drip or percolator, bring your own coffee. Most available here is "café torrado," roasted with sugar, which can be an acquired taste (and is illegal in most places worldwide). Specialty roasted coffee from cafes is an option but tends to be pricey!

BERRIES: Out of four local fruit vendors, only one had any berries (blueberries) once. Otherwise, no luck!

LETTUCE: While iceberg lettuce is easy to find, more delicate varieties can be challenging. My go-to source down the block often has green leaf lettuce, though sometimes it's too wilted to sell (I appreciate his honesty!). Accompanying tomatoes can be disappointing too.

YOGURT: Yogurt is abundant but not particularly great. I've heard Armenian stores have the real deal, but I haven't had luck yet.

But these are just minor inconveniences. There are no significant shortages of food, fuel, or electricity to worry about. So, come on over!

@Fox Explore dieteticas (health food stores) for Familia Beaudroit yogurt; it's delightful.

https://www.instagram.com/familiabeaudroit/?hl=en

If it's unavailable, Dahi is a good alternative and more readily accessible.

I find it surprising that you're having difficulty locating quality produce. My frutero typically offers six types of lettuce beyond iceberg, including red leaf, green leaf, radicchio, romaine, Boston, and arugula, along with flavorful tomatoes. It seems you might be shopping in the wrong places.

We recently returned from our Argentina and Peru trip, during which we utilized Latin Discoveries to plan and book the entire journey. The experience was fantastic! Everything unfolded as scheduled, and we encountered no issues whatsoever. I highly recommend this company.

Reactions: Fox
Thank you for the insight; it's valuable to hear from someone on the ground.

My primary concern was potential power outages.

I'll make sure to pack some coffee! :)
I don't think power outages are a concern unless it is very hot and everyone is using the AC. This year it has been very mild and not too hot out at all so I don't think there has been an issue this year at all. I agree coffee beans here in many places suck.

@Fox Explore dieteticas (health food stores) for Familia Beaudroit yogurt; it's delightful.

https://www.instagram.com/familiabeaudroit/?hl=en

If it's unavailable, Dahi is a good alternative and more readily accessible.

I find it surprising that you're having difficulty locating quality produce. My frutero typically offers six types of lettuce beyond iceberg, including red leaf, green leaf, radicchio, romaine, Boston, and arugula, along with flavorful tomatoes. It seems you might be shopping in the wrong places.
There are tons of local fruteros that have good quality stuff. If you're renting an Airbnb ask the owner and they typically can tell you where one is. There are a ton of places around Chinatown as well that I went to while there and they had lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. In the big chain supermarkets I agree it is not too good. You have to go to the neighborhood stands.

Reactions: Fox
Back