Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is Buenos Aires safe?

Have a few friends that live in Bangkok and Phuket. They are loving life. I visited them a few times. Miss the food there. Plentiful and cheap and delicious! Rarely ever spent more than $5 for a meal there. Something I was surprised was how expensive alcohol drinks are there. I was going to a few places with them and the prices were as much as the States. We spent more on booze than food.

If it gets too expensive here I might check it out in the future. Only thing I don't like is the weather.
I hear you about the heat. I'm not used to it myself but everywhere is air-conditioned so that makes it more manageable.

I hear you about the heat. I'm not used to it myself but everywhere is air-conditioned so that makes it more manageable.
Went to Bangkok last year and loved my time there! Very hot and humid but you're correct Jakoval. We went from AC hotel to AC Grab to AC malls to eat. It was very hot touring the Grand Palace but it was worth it! It was the first time that I got a massage each day of my holiday. They were so affordable there some days we got 2 in one day. We loved going to Terminal 21 to eat. Food there is so amazing and cheap! Also very safe there.

It is funny but we expected BA to be more dangerous with more crime. We know some Argentinean friends that were from Buenos Aires and they kept warning us how dangerous it is here but we just don't find that to be the case at all.

Went to Bangkok last year and loved my time there! Very hot and humid but you're correct Jakoval. We went from AC hotel to AC Grab to AC malls to eat. It was very hot touring the Grand Palace but it was worth it! It was the first time that I got a massage each day of my holiday. They were so affordable there some days we got 2 in one day. We loved going to Terminal 21 to eat. Food there is so amazing and cheap! Also very safe there.

It is funny but we expected BA to be more dangerous with more crime. We know some Argentinean friends that were from Buenos Aires and they kept warning us how dangerous it is here but we just don't find that to be the case at all.
Hate to break it to you but CABA is a bubble. Conurbano on the other hand is the real world I suppose. In the past year, two of my partner's family members got their car robbed at gunpoint (one of the family members is a police officer out of uniform) and yesterday as my suegros were leaving their house, they witnessed 3 cars surrounding a motorbike in a robbery attempt right in front of their house.

Have a few friends that live in Bangkok and Phuket. They are loving life. I visited them a few times. Miss the food there. Plentiful and cheap and delicious! Rarely ever spent more than $5 for a meal there. Something I was surprised was how expensive alcohol drinks are there. I was going to a few places with them and the prices were as much as the States. We spent more on booze than food.

If it gets too expensive here I might check it out in the future. Only thing I don't like is the weather.
For us Phuket is very expensive. It doesn't matter if you're foreigners or locals, you pay the same price when you go there. Alcohol is generally expensive especially wine due to high import tax. However, earlier this year the govt announced the tax cut so the next time I go back I expect cheaper wine but we shall see :ROFLMAO:

Hate to break it to you but CABA is a bubble. Conurbano on the other hand is the real world I suppose. In the past year, two of my partner's family members got their car robbed at gunpoint (one of the family members is a police officer out of uniform) and yesterday as my suegros were leaving their house, they witnessed 3 cars surrounding a motorbike in a robbery attempt right in front of their house.
This is what I hear all the time. My novia's dad said exactly what you are saying. I haven't been to the Conurbano but it's stories like this that make me NOT want to visit the safe confines of CABA. Her dad said that is the main fear if this recession continues. It's going to be the fear of leaving the house. He said that another 6 months of a bad recession and even CABA will get affected. I hope that isn't true.

It's common for people to perceive Buenos Aires as unsafe, especially since the news and social media often emphasize negative stories and can exaggerate the situation. However, like any large city, there are areas that are much safer than others, and personal experiences can vary widely.
In reality, Buenos Aires has some great and safe neighborhoods where people lead peaceful lives and enjoy their day-to-day activities. Plus, both the government and local organizations are constantly working to improve safety. So while it's good to be cautious, there's also a lot to love about the city.

I've heard many foreigners express doubts about traveling to Argentina because the country often gets a bad rap regarding safety online. But when they come and experience it for themselves, they usually dispel that myth. Sure, there are some areas that are less secure, like La Matanza in the outskirts, but honestly, what foreigner would intentionally visit a less-known area?

Let’s be real, popular neighborhoods like Palermo and Recoleta are where most visitors go, and those are among the safest spots in the city. So, they can feel comfortable coming here and enjoying everything these vibrant areas have to offer :)

This is very true. Most expats or tourists won't find themselves in the conurbano often. But I am reading some reports of more crime even in CABA vs. conurbano where it is more common. There are many scams out there from people seeking to sell items and meeting up. I have lived here for a long time and don't remember hearing so many stories. Probably are ok in the confines of the bubbles of the more popular neighborhoods but be careful.

Is something like this normal in the Conurbano @Jakoval? I saw this today and thought of this post. I'm very happy to be in the bubble.

Back