Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is dog poop on sidewalks as bad as I read online in forums and blogs? Do people not pick up after their dogs?

@Jenn you will be thrilled to know that BA is buying some poop cleaning machines. My friend sent me this today.

Darn that is a great invention! I have never seen one of these so thanks for sharing it. My friends there didn't mean these machines. They moved over to Recoleta because they said it was cleaner there. They said all the doormen clean the sidewalks in front of their building on their entire blocks. Why don't they do this in Palermo? They were over near Soho and said poop is all over. Good to see them getting ahead of this.

I agree those machines are kind of loud but as long as it's not too early in the morning. Their other complain was the noise pollution in BA. They said it's very loud there. I'd rather have loud anti-poop cleaning machines vs. quiet and poop everywhere.

I just don't think people would pay those fines at all. Heck, people don't even say anything when they see owners with dogs doing that. I watched one lady walking her dog in Palermo and her dog was pooping all over the street and not one person said something to her. She said she didn't have any bag so I gave her one of my plastic bags from the grocery store that I was going to use but she still didn't do it. People are lazy.

I wish the police would fine them or put cameras on the street to see it and post it online.

I asked about this why they don't have any stations around the parks or out and someone told me that people would just steal the bags and use them for something else. :( Very pathetic.

I don't think those cheap ones can handle the amount that some streets have.
Pretty pathetic about stealing such bags and I can imagine someone taking the bin, so as not to have buy a trash bin for home use as well. But that's hypothetical and wonder if it's ever been tried or tested.

You aren't the only one. I've recieved no less than 6 private messages from people that want to give me a private tour and either show me the poop or protect me from the poop.

Who know people were so into poop protection. :ROFLMAO:
With AI and image recognition, one day we'll have shoes with cameras that will detect and auto-avoid any poop. Although I don't know if computers have gotten small enough so you'll end up wearing them and look like this :)
bart shoes.png

True. Here in Latin America people would just steal all those bags and sell them.
Very true. Here in Brazil I live in a gated community and we have stands with bags and also trashcans. In the beginning we had some issues with people taking the bags. That is even in a nice area. Then we installed cameras and that solved that.

Pretty pathetic about stealing such bags and I can imagine someone taking the bin, so as not to have buy a trash bin for home use as well. But that's hypothetical and wonder if it's ever been tried or tested.
I am not sure around Buenos Aires. I have not seen bags in the parks. Hell, all the trash bins around town doesn't even have any plastic bags in them. Or at least in Palermo I almost never see plastic bags in them. They are just containers that someone must clean out somehow. I'm not sure why they don't use bags in them other than cost savings.

Argentina is broke so they probably don't have the $$$ to put bags for dogs all over the city. Bags can't cost much if you have a dog. You shouldn't have a dog unless you are going to be responsible but more times than not I just see people letting their dogs sh*t all over the sidewalks.

Back