Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is Retiro neighborhood safe for staying?

nikita

I will be visiting Buenos Aires in early January for a week. My husband and I are both in our mid-60s. We're currently exploring Airbnb options in Palermo and Recoleta. However, I've come across two appealing apartments in the Retiro area, close to Plaza San Martin. Could anyone familiar with this neighborhood share insights regarding its safety? We're aiming for accommodation in a peaceful and secure environment.

Any advice would be welcome!

The neighborhood is quite safe and offers a conveniently central position for strolling to both Recoleta and the Microcenter. In the Retiro area, exercising additional caution is advisable, especially around the train and bus terminals. It's worth noting, however, that there is no residential housing in that specific vicinity, which might be of interest to you.

Welcome,

A 61-year-old male traveler here, who has been embarking on solo month-long trips since 2012.

During my visits to Buenos Aires, I typically opt for accommodations in the Retiro/San Martin area, closer to Florida Street. This choice is influenced by the proximity to the bus station and the convenience of a nearby metro stop.

On my recent journey, I ventured on foot to Recoleta Mall but plan to utilize the metro or bus when necessary. Regarding safety, it's a subjective and complex matter. What concerns do you specifically have? Worth noting, once you arrive and settle in, observe the walking surfaces. Assessing their safety is crucial, especially during twilight or nighttime strolls. In my South American travels, I've encountered instances where walking surfaces posed safety concerns.

Best of luck!

Back