Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Itinerary query for a solo traveler with 2 days in Buenos Aires

Rufi

Hi!!! In March I will be in BA for 2 days before an Antarctica cruise. With so little time in town, I was hoping for some advice on how to make the most of the time. I arrive at EZE at 9:10 am on a Monday. I plan to take a cab to my hotel in Puerto Madero to drop off my bags before leaving, I'm guessing between 11-12, if there are no delays, so the first day is not even a full day. My main idea is to get a Sube card and take the subway to Palermo (maybe 3 de Febrero station?) and walk around Palermo, maybe to the Japanese Garden and then towards Recoleta to see the cemetery. From there I would walk to the center of the city.

Since I will be traveling alone, I would probably walk around that area and then take a cab back to the hotel. I feel fine traveling alone and I know BA is relatively safe (considering the environment and petty theft), but I want to be mindful of my husband's concern for my safety if I go out at night. I'm not going out late, but I'm guessing I'll be out after dark, since I read that sunset is around 7pm in March. Is there a safety issue with walking from downtown back to Puerto Madero after dark, if I end up close enough to consider doing so? Or if I'm further out, any safety issues if I take the bus at night? There seems to be a bus stop near the bridge closest to my hotel.

I feel fine traveling alone and I know BA is relatively safe, but I want to take into account my husband's concerns about my safety being out at night. I won't be out until late, but I'm guessing I'll be out after dark, since I read that sunset is around 7pm in March. Is there a safety issue with walking from downtown back to Puerto Madero after dark, if I end up close enough to consider doing so? Or if I'm further out, could I take the bus at night? There seems to be a bus stop near the bridge closest to my hotel.
For the second day (which will be a full day), I was thinking of going to Caminito and walking back towards San Telmo and then back downtown. I didn't see any public transportation stops near Caminito, and I saw that it's about 3.5 miles from my hotel. i'm a 10-20+ mile a day walker, so the distance doesn't bother me, but my main concern is time . would it be better to take a cab to Caminito and then walk back walking to the city center?

With my short time in the city, I just want to see some of the different neighborhoods, visit some local cafes, see some of the main sights to take some photos, and have some time to soak up the atmosphere, so I'm pretty flexible on the plan.

Any suggestions for modification of my current plan? Thank you in advance.

Hey @Rufi ! Just a heads up for your two days in Buenos Aires:

• Grab a SUBE card at EZE airport from the "25 horas kiosko" on your immediate left as you enter the arrivals hall.
  • 3 de Febrero is a train station, not a subway. It might not be worth going that far out of your way. The "D" line subway would have been ideal, but it's under repair until mid-March.
  • Buses, like #130, can take you from Puerto Madero to Palermo. There are other options too.
  • Consider alternatives to walking back from Caminito. Taxi, Uber, or Cabify might be safer and more convenient.
Enjoy your time in Buenos Aires!

I'd suggest opting for taxis during your stay. They're affordable and drop you right at your destination, which can be a relief in the hot and humid weather. Walking long distances in this heat, especially with high UV, might not be the most enjoyable.

While the Subte is fantastic, it's turned into a bit of a sauna lately. Buses are an option, although they tend to get crowded.

If you're around on Sunday, the San Telmo market is a must-visit. Plus, you'll be close to Mafalda's Bench for a bonus stop!

Enjoy!

-- There must be some video or website promoting Parque 3 de Febrero, but it is no longer an attraction.

-- Bus #111 goes between Puerto Madero and Palermo, but it takes a long time. Bus #130 is faster, as it goes along Libertador/Alem/Paseo Colon, but you'd have to get off in San Telmo and walk to Puerto Madero. As for walking to your hotel, I always walk between San Telmo and Puerto Madero at night. It is a safe walk, even from downtown.

From Caminito it is preferable to take a bus like #152 or #29.

Despite the absence of the Sunday fair, I concur with the above statement that San Telmo holds more points of interest than El Caminito in La Boca. Walking on the main streets from La Boca to San Telmo is not advisable for visitors.
Personally, I have taken buses from the southern part of San Telmo into Boca, explored the area, visited an excellent museum named Fundación Proa right at the base of Caminito, and then taken the bus back.
Alternatively, as suggested, you can take a taxi.
Strolling in Puerto Madero is pleasant due to less car traffic and wide sidewalks. I wouldn't have concerns about being on foot after dark, just stay aware.
Parque Lezama and Avenida Caseros are lovely spots for a meal or refreshment.
If you opt for a taxi or bus to Recoleta Cemetery, it could be a delightful walk back to downtown. Palermo is a vast and spread-out area, so it depends on your energy level. (I often need a nap on the first day, given the crossing of multiple time zones).

THANK YOU, ALL, for your suggestions!

I'm thinking of relying on taxis for longer distances and exploring on foot in areas of interest. Any specific taxi types to avoid or prefer once I'm in the city? I've got the heads up on using Taxi Ezeiza from the airport, but city taxis seem a bit tricky. Thanks for the weather reminder and safety advice. Researching everything post last-minute cruise booking is a bit chaotic, so your expertise is a lifesaver!

Regular city taxis with black and yellow colors are your best bet. You can easily flag them down on the street, and they're usually quicker and cheaper than Uber. Plus, the drivers tend to be knowledgeable about the city's routes. However, be cautious in certain areas prone to taxi scams:

• EZE airport: Stick to the official Taxi Ezeiza desk inside the airport for a safe ride.
  • Retiro bus and train stations
  • Buquebus terminal
  • Caminito
These spots are hotbeds for taxi scams. Just walk a block or two away to hail a cab safely.

Instead of taking a taxi to Palermo and then making your way back to Recoleta and your hotel, I'd recommend starting your journey on foot and then taking a taxi back from Palermo at the end of the evening.
Firstly, Recoleta cemetery closes at 5:00 PM, so if you start from Palermo, it might not be open by the time you arrive. We experienced long lines on a Saturday, so keep that in mind.
Secondly, you'll only need one taxi ride back from Palermo. The area between your hotel and Recoleta, passing through Plaza de Mayo, the Obelisk, and Teatro Colón, is stunning and worth exploring on foot. It's delightful during the day but requires more caution after dark. Palermo, especially Palermo Soho and Hollywood, is lively, and you can feel more relaxed there.
While the Rose Garden is pleasant, if time is limited, it's not essential unless you have a specific interest in roses. Similarly, the Japanese Garden can be skipped. Among all the attractions we visited in BA, it was the one thing we regretted spending time on. In contrast, the Botanical Garden is less crowded and much more enjoyable.

Grab a SUBE card
eh, just use Uber. they're like $3 USD for short trips. $20 from EZE airport to fixed locations, can pay with credit card inside the airport, probably includes Puerto Madero. Taxis might scam you, so i just use Uber.

if you only have 2 days, just use TripAdvisor and old Reddit posts...you'll have plenty to do and see!
Instead of taking a taxi to Palermo and then making your way back to Recoleta and your hotel, I'd recommend starting your journey on foot and then taking a taxi back from Palermo at the end of the evening.
yes! i like walking. i know most are allergic to it, but i've seen so much more than most "Expats" here by staying on-foot 99% of the time.

plenty of info all over the Web for ya. have fun! https://www.viator.com/blog/Buenos-Aires/d901/How-to-Spend-2-Days-in-Buenos-Aires/i26728

Back