Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

'Justification of dictatorship': outcry as Milei rewrites Argentina history

I am against what happened to the people that disappeared or were murdered. That was horrible. I think what Milei is saying is the number is not anywhere near 30,000. I hope that they do NOT pardon war criminals as is gossiped about. This would not be good for Argentina.

I am against what happened to the people that disappeared or were murdered. That was horrible. I think what Milei is saying is the number is not anywhere near 30,000. I hope that they do NOT pardon war criminals as is gossiped about. This would not be good for Argentina.
I also heard this 30,000 was made up but is there any way to find out what the # really is if it's not? How many families are there recorded that claim to have missing? I realize the government numbers probably can't be trusted but there has to be a formal record of families that are claiming missing family members. What is that #? It sounds like a hell of a lot of people! I like Milei and voted for him but I don't agree on this topic.

You can read more here:

And here too:

But does it really matter if there was 10,000 vs. 30,000? This seems like a silly sword to fall on.

But does it really matter if there was 10,000 vs. 30,000? This seems like a silly sword to fall on.

Agree. The # doesn't matter. Vice President Villaruel is obsessed with this matter. Very strange argument to make when so many more important things are going on with the economy. I am seeing more and more homeless on the streets now. I have never seen it at the levels it is now.

The societal issue in Argentina is a complex interplay that, for decades, has been misrepresented by politics, often reduced to a one-sided narrative with limited permissible discourse.

Efforts to seek justice and acknowledgment from the state for crimes committed by terrorist organizations, as well as by the Peronist government and its cause leading up to the military dictatorship, have largely been marginalized. Successive governments, aligned with particular political sympathies or ideological leanings towards these groups, have selectively presented only partial truths, overshadowing the full scope of historical events.

A visit to the ESMA museum reveals a stark juxtaposition: homemade weapons and manuals utilized by terrorist factions, alongside evidence of state-sponsored internment, torture, and killings. Notably, the exhibition of "terrorist" weaponry and guides is framed simply as "resistance to authority," neglecting to acknowledge the preceding acts of aggression and violence perpetrated by these groups.

Regarding the fixation on victim numbers, it appears to be a futile exercise in retaliation, offering little substantive resolution. The exact tally of victims may forever remain elusive, but the crux lies not in the numerical count but in recognizing the broader spectrum of suffering. Many Argentines advocate for an inclusive approach that encompasses victims of terrorism and pre-dictatorship Peronist government death squads. It is time to expand the discourse beyond the dictatorship era and denounce all forms of political violence throughout Argentina's history and present. This inclusive stance aligns with the current government's efforts, albeit in their own distinctive manner.

The societal issue in Argentina is a complex interplay that, for decades, has been misrepresented by politics, often reduced to a one-sided narrative with limited permissible discourse.

Efforts to seek justice and acknowledgment from the state for crimes committed by terrorist organizations, as well as by the Peronist government and its cause leading up to the military dictatorship, have largely been marginalized. Successive governments, aligned with particular political sympathies or ideological leanings towards these groups, have selectively presented only partial truths, overshadowing the full scope of historical events.

A visit to the ESMA museum reveals a stark juxtaposition: homemade weapons and manuals utilized by terrorist factions, alongside evidence of state-sponsored internment, torture, and killings. Notably, the exhibition of "terrorist" weaponry and guides is framed simply as "resistance to authority," neglecting to acknowledge the preceding acts of aggression and violence perpetrated by these groups.

Regarding the fixation on victim numbers, it appears to be a futile exercise in retaliation, offering little substantive resolution. The exact tally of victims may forever remain elusive, but the crux lies not in the numerical count but in recognizing the broader spectrum of suffering. Many Argentines advocate for an inclusive approach that encompasses victims of terrorism and pre-dictatorship Peronist government death squads. It is time to expand the discourse beyond the dictatorship era and denounce all forms of political violence throughout Argentina's history and present. This inclusive stance aligns with the current government's efforts, albeit in their own distinctive manner.
Thank you for providing additional context; it certainly helps to clarify the situation.

Engaging in debates over specific victim counts creates the impression of attempting to either justify or downplay the severity of the violence.

It would be more constructive for them to acknowledge the uncertainty surrounding exact figures, while unequivocally condemning the atrocities committed during the dictatorship. Additionally, there should be recognition of state violence under Isabelita's regime and actions perpetrated by left-wing terrorist groups.

Regarding Villaruel's selection as VP, I believe it was a misguided choice. Milei would benefit from aligning himself with individuals focused on pragmatic solutions for economic and security issues, rather than those fixated on historical battles from four decades ago.

Thank you for providing additional context; it certainly helps to clarify the situation.

Engaging in debates over specific victim counts creates the impression of attempting to either justify or downplay the severity of the violence.

It would be more constructive for them to acknowledge the uncertainty surrounding exact figures, while unequivocally condemning the atrocities committed during the dictatorship. Additionally, there should be recognition of state violence under Isabelita's regime and actions perpetrated by left-wing terrorist groups.

Regarding Villaruel's selection as VP, I believe it was a misguided choice. Milei would benefit from aligning himself with individuals focused on pragmatic solutions for economic and security issues, rather than those fixated on historical battles from four decades ago.
Their rhetoric mirrors the antagonism displayed by other political figures such as CFK, Maximo, Alberto and Axel and team Perionista. This approach incites strong reactions and attracts votes from emotionally vulnerable segments of the population, as is common in any society.

Back