Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Kirchner Rescued Argentinas Economy and help unite South America

Your comments show little knowledge about economics nor the facts on growth and real change . The proof of real growth is employment figures and wage rates and Argentinas performance in this field since 2003 is very impressive far surpassing Chile and Brazil .

Economy growths 8% average from 2003 to 2010

Unemployment in 2003 was 27 nowadays 7.9%. Regarding employment there is a tremendous amount of hiring going on atm and if you wish to work in Buenos Aires legally there is a lot of work . In 2003 it was a ghost town with very low employment . From then to now the difference is nothing short of incredible.

In 2003 only 55% of grand parents had a "private pension". Nowadays 88% of grand parents have a state pension.

Minimum wage In Argentina has increased 170% since 2003 . It is currently close to US $ 500 per month at 1840 argentine pesos.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100805-724718.html

Chile the country that you rave about and with over 20 years of growth has a far lower minimum wage than Argentinas at US $ 310 per month. Why have they not shared more of their wealth around to their citizens?
http://www.santiagotimes.cl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19047:chiles-minimum-wage-change-still-in-limbo&catid=1:eek:ther&Itemid=38

The Brazilian national minimum wage is adjusted annually. The minimum wage in 2009 was R$ 465 per month (which corresponds to R$ 23,25 per day and R$ 2,9 per hour).
In 2010 Brazilian minimum wage increased to R$ 510 per month (which corresponds to R$25,5 per day and R$ 3,18 per hour) If you consider how much more expensive Brazil is to Argentina this is a very low minimum wage .

The figures above for Brazil show that the mimimum wage in dollar terms set by law are just under US $ 300 per month .

As stated before growth rates mean nothing if there are no fundamental changes in the society and if you look at these figures above Argentina will come up close to NUMBER ONE in the world for change since 2003.
As a business person who has a vested interest in seeing this country succeed, I hope that Argentina puts together a comprehensive plan for economic growth, lifts some restrictions to enable businesses to invest in Argentina and becomes a more diverse economy.

Personally, as a business person, I don't think the K's had any exceptional positive influence on the economy. The longevity of his (and her) service did allow some stability which I think was a good thing. However, from my POV, I think the rebounding of the economy was based on an explosion in commodity pricing and a starting point that was pretty much zero. The two factors together led to a admittedly spectacular recovery. Whether the economy continues to grow and be stable, only time will tell.

Your comments show little knowledge about economics nor the facts on growth and real change . The proof of real growth is employment figures and wage rates and Argentinas performance in this field since 2003 is very impressive far surpassing Chile and Brazil .

Economy growths 8% average from 2003 to 2010

Unemployment in 2003 was 27 nowadays 7.9%. Regarding employment there is a tremendous amount of hiring going on atm and if you wish to work in Buenos Aires legally there is a lot of work . In 2003 it was a ghost town with very low employment . From then to now the difference is nothing short of incredible.

In 2003 only 55% of grand parents had a "private pension". Nowadays 88% of grand parents have a state pension.

Minimum wage In Argentina has increased 170% since 2003 . It is currently close to US $ 500 per month at 1840 argentine pesos.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100805-724718.html

Chile the country that you rave about and with over 20 years of growth has a far lower minimum wage than Argentinas at US $ 310 per month. Why have they not shared more of their wealth around to their citizens?
http://www.santiagotimes.cl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19047:chiles-minimum-wage-change-still-in-limbo&catid=1:eek:ther&Itemid=38

The Brazilian national minimum wage is adjusted annually. The minimum wage in 2009 was R$ 465 per month (which corresponds to R$ 23,25 per day and R$ 2,9 per hour).
In 2010 Brazilian minimum wage increased to R$ 510 per month (which corresponds to R$25,5 per day and R$ 3,18 per hour) If you consider how much more expensive Brazil is to Argentina this is a very low minimum wage .

The figures above for Brazil show that the mimimum wage in dollar terms set by law are just under US $ 300 per month .

As stated before growth rates mean nothing if there are no fundamental changes in the society and if you look at these figures above Argentina will come up close to NUMBER ONE in the world for change since 2003.
Even if what you say is true a better question is whether or not this is a sustainable model or just a flash in the pan. My opinion is that it is the later. I believe if the policies that have been implemented under the Kirchners continue that the country will enter another period of problems and crises. I think we don't have long to wait if they continue and I believe my views will be proven correct in the next year or two.

As a business person who has a vested interest in seeing this country succeed, I hope that Argentina puts together a comprehensive plan for economic growth, lifts some restrictions to enable businesses to invest in Argentina and becomes a more diverse economy.

Personally, as a business person, I don't think the K's had any exceptional positive influence on the economy. The longevity of his (and her) service did allow some stability which I think was a good thing. However, from my POV, I think the rebounding of the economy was based on an explosion in commodity pricing and a starting point that was pretty much zero. The two factors together led to a admittedly spectacular recovery. Whether the economy continues to grow and be stable, only time will tell.
I'd have to agree with your comments here. I've lived in Argentina many years now and to be honest I had good expectations for the Kichners many years ago. In fact, I even had the pleasure to personally meet both of them some years back. However, I'll say I agree with this post. I also don't think that the K's had any "exceptional positive influence on the economy".

To be honest, things couldn't have gotten much worse when he took over so the only direction to go was up. People can disagree with that statement and that is fine. I do agree that they were also fortunate with the tremendous upswing in commodity prices.

I have quite a bit of experience here in Argentina at various levels of business and I will say the K's for the most part have been horrible for businesses. I won't even go into the fact they effectively tried to control ALL branches of the government which NO ONE can even logically try to defend or excuse. I'm strictly speaking from a business standpoint.

I do hope and wish the best for Argentina and it's people. My children were born here in Argentina which I'm very proud of and my sincere wish and hope is they have a chance to see fundamental systematic change and a reduction in the amount of corruption here with a functioning judicial and banking system. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime but I hope they see it in theirs.

Back