Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

La Plata - underrated city - 40kms / 25 miles from BA

It's the capital city of Buenos Aires Province, built by masons and is considered one of the best planned cities in the world. In fact the blueprint was made before the actual buildings SimCity-like: there are historic pictures of big buildings like museums, train stations that were built before anyone was living there... crazy.

Edit: you can go there by bus or train ~1 hr trip.

You can do the Mason tour, visit the Cathedral, the museum, the planetary, etc. If you like history then it's interesting to visit at least once.

Blueprint (diagonals point exactly to North / South - West / East)

View attachment 6806

BA - La Plata
View attachment 6808

Satellite pic
View attachment 6809
La Plata is a beautiful city. I had a cousin living there so I would visit her when I was growing up but I haven't been there in many years. But I will have to revisit. Many good memories there.

Well is not a very touristy city, it's very shadowed by BA but has a lot of history behind. Another curiosity:

The train station was used to film a shot of 7 Years in Tibet because its resemblance with German / Austrian architecture. I was born in La Plata and I remember seeing the Nazi flags hanging on the train station XD.

Even more surprising for me and my family was seeing the GRAZ banner at the top of te entrance: my grandmother was born in Graz, Austria so it was really weird for us to see that scene.

Love this movie. Never knew they filmed that in Argentina! In La Plata no less. Makes me want to go visit that city. Thanks for posting @enbits!

Back