Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

CarinaMet

I'm in the market for a 2-bedroom house or apartment to rent for the next two years. Can you provide an estimate of the average rent in the area? Also, any recommendations on where I should begin my search? Ideally, I would prefer something in the city center or within walking distance.

Furnished would be great but not necesary. Doesnt need to be high end but does need to be affordable
Just use Airbnb. There is really no reason these days not to use them in almost any city you travel to. They totally protect you as a renter. If the property is a scam or bait and switch you just email them and you aren't charged anything. They don't pay the owners until 24 hours after check-in.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Bariloche-...R_doOIyDcbOU&allow_override[]=&s_tag=RjuM7Nah

There are some affordable and nice properties on Airbnb for Bariloche. Safe travels.

The typical lease duration for residents spans two years, often featuring a break clause in the middle. If you possess a permanent or temporary residence visa, your ability to rent property aligns with local practices, freeing you from the constraints of high-priced temporary rentals. Bariloche's popularity as a tourist destination, both in winter and summer, might lead landlords to be hesitant about leasing furnished properties with tourist appeal on a low-cost, long-term basis.

If you're relocating for employment with a local company, they should assist you, especially regarding the rental guarantee, which differs from a security deposit. While the conditions of the guarantee are relatively stringent in Buenos Aires, they may be more flexible in other locations.

I'm unsure if any BAExpats reside in Bariloche, but there is a correspondent nearby in Villa la Angostura who may contribute to this discussion

I have friends that lived and rented in Bariloche long term without having to provide a guarantor. Look at the properties on Airbnb and some are affordable. Just negotiate something with the owner/manager and they probably would work with you. The owners know that the risks of renting long term to a foreigner are MUCH lower vs. renting to a local. And still if possible go through Airbnb's booking platform. I know that goes against the intuitive nature to just deal directly with the owner but you have many more protections going through a platform like Airbnb.

First of all, even if you do a long-term lease on Airbnb, they only pay the owner one month at a time. So if problems come up then you have protections with the owner either fixing it or being able to leave. My friends that lived in Bariloche didn't have problems negotiating something with owners long-term. Typically they have two high seasons. One in summer and one in winter during ski season. But other periods they are relatively slow. So I'd think most owners would rather have a guaranteed 2 year lease.

If you're trying to book a nice furnished property you're probably going to be out of luck as they can make more during high seasons renting it out short-term vs. a severely discounted lease. But a lower end property you shouldn't have as much of a problem.

I have many friends that have used Apartments Bariloche successfully. And for full disclosure, this was the first franchise that I sold in Argentina. I sold the franchise many years ago and it has since been acquired. It continues to be the source for the most luxurious properties in Bariloche, Argentina.

Holy cow! Those are some amazing properties! I am going skiing in July with my girlfriend. At @earlyretirement do you still own any properties down there? Is there one that you would recommend over another? I want a good view of the Lake.

Holy cow! Those are some amazing properties! I am going skiing in July with my girlfriend. At @earlyretirement do you still own any properties down there? Is there one that you would recommend over another? I want a good view of the Lake.
Hi @fool in love. Yes, definitely they have the best properties in Bariloche. I never purchased any properties there. I just started the franchise there and sold it. I always use them when I go down there. I've stayed in MANY properties there and the actual properties are better than the photos. I think my favorite was this property that I rented a few years ago. Amazing view and hot tub! My kids loved it. I think it is one of their more popular units and booked a lot! But you can't go wrong. Look at location and photos and it will be better than that. They are VERY reputable. I met the new owner of the franchise many years ago and he is a great guy.

Back