Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

JonnyBeGoood

Hello:

I've recently become the proud owner of a charming PH in Almagro, and I'm gearing up for some substantial renovations. I'm seeking assistance with various tasks such as plastering, opening walls to install new windows, crafting a steel staircase, constructing a semi-piso, painting, tile work, and more.

My primary criteria for selecting builders are reliability, honesty, and ease of collaboration. If anyone has recommendations or experiences with builders who meet these criteria, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

I highly recommend Cecilia Varela. She is an architect and interior designer and is fantastic (not much English though).

http://ceciliavarela.com.ar/

She has a crew for any job you'd need done in the Capital and has done serious remodel work for me (like the kind you are looking for). Look at her website on the prensa page. That was an apartment she did for a good friend of mine that was totally destroyed when she found it. They did a complete tear down, added a steel staircase, etc. A huge job and it turned out amazing.

Hello:

I've recently become the proud owner of a charming PH in Almagro, and I'm gearing up for some substantial renovations. I'm seeking assistance with various tasks such as plastering, opening walls to install new windows, crafting a steel staircase, constructing a semi-piso, painting, tile work, and more.

My primary criteria for selecting builders are reliability, honesty, and ease of collaboration. If anyone has recommendations or experiences with builders who meet these criteria, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Thank you!
And just what makes you think that you deserve a miracle?

Sorry to say that the most likely thing to be en blanco (blank not white) is your checkbook.

There ARE honest people in that industry but the problem is there are far more dishonest people so mostly you find out through trial and error. It's not just how they will do the renovation but how they will handle any problems that occur due to their negligence AFTER the project is finished. Sometimes things only are known and apparent after the project is finished. And a true sign of how ethical and professional someone is by how they solve the problem.

Whomever you use, the most important thing is make a time line table of when each task will be finished and stagger your payments to the contractor over the timeline period where you agree not to pay the next payment until the portion agreed is finished. That will motivate them to stay on time.

Also, ask for a breakdown of estimates for both labor and parts and ask them to break out EACH item and each room. That way when you get multiple quotes (which I highly recommend) you can easily compare it from Contractor A to Contractor B.

Also, I'd take the time to ask them for multiple references for other similar sized projects. Any good architect/contractor will have a big portfolio with photos of before/during/after that you can evaluate and then talk to the owner of that property.

Have a very good contract together in PESOS and an agreement that cost overruns will be held to X% (if anything at all). Some will try and make excuses how products went up. So anything you need to purchase like fixtures you might want to buy those on the front end and ask for the receipts.

Thank you all for your thorough replies.
I have been pursuing the various leads that this thread has presented me.
I will post back on any results and/or experiences.

Thanks again and please feel free to let the contacts keep coming.

Back