Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

SnowBumte

We're currently residing in an apartment rented through a temporary stay agency. Initially, the rent was set at $1900 USD per month, but after negotiations and my commitment to paying in advance, we successfully negotiated it down to $1250 USD per month. With the contract set to expire at the end of this month, we're faced with the decision of whether to renew the lease with upfront payment or explore other housing options.

During my Spanish lessons in a studio apartment located in a new building in Palermo Hollywood, the tenant disclosed that such apartments are typically available only to Argentinians, implying potential restrictions for non-locals.

Our primary goal is to secure a permanent residence, ideally in Palermo Hollywood, within a new building. I'm open to paying upfront for a year if necessary. Any insights or recommendations on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who respond.

We're currently residing in an apartment rented through a temporary stay agency. Initially, the rent was set at $1900 USD per month, but after negotiations and my commitment to paying in advance, we successfully negotiated it down to $1250 USD per month. With the contract set to expire at the end of this month, we're faced with the decision of whether to renew the lease with upfront payment or explore other housing options.

During my Spanish lessons in a studio apartment located in a new building in Palermo Hollywood, the tenant disclosed that such apartments are typically available only to Argentinians, implying potential restrictions for non-locals.

Our primary goal is to secure a permanent residence, ideally in Palermo Hollywood, within a new building. I'm open to paying upfront for a year if necessary. Any insights or recommendations on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who respond.
Hola Again....! Snowwhite.... Without a Local Garantia and a DNI one has few options.

However I was offered a nice 1 Bedroom unfurnished in Recoleta for 2,200 pesos for the first year, paying 16 months in advance on a 2 year contract..! 1 year rental(12 months) , plus 2 months commission, one month deposit , first month rental. Payable in pesos..!!:D Subject to approval by the owner. Second year subject to a 25 % increase

Its a new building so it comes without stove, frige, kitchen appliances,TV, cable TV or furniture, only hot water. You are looking at 7 to 10,000 pesos to furnish on a minimilistic way:)
Hope this helps

I have a question for Snowwhite: Are you making your payments in cash, through a US check, or have you exchanged to pesos?

I recently secured an apartment, and I didn't have a garantia. It's important not to be misled by certain individuals. These days, many landlords prefer US dollars. If you have funds back home, offering to write a US check might be a favorable option. Most property owners, in my experience, have bank accounts abroad and are willing to accept such checks. It's a convenient way for them to move money out of the country without facing excessive taxes.

Here's a piece of advice: Spend some time exploring property listings on platforms like Zonaprop, Argenprop, or Vivavisos, as they all have similar listings. Some may inquire about garantia before showing a property, and in such cases, you can inform them that you're a foreigner but can arrange it if necessary. Approximately half of the listed prices are in USD, but don't worry—they legally cannot sign contracts in USD anymore. Ask for the equivalent in pesos. From there, you can determine whether the owner expects the official exchange rate or the blue dollar rate. Deducting 10-20% from the real dollar price, you can make an offer with cash, a check, or a transfer in USD.

Unless it's a property you absolutely must have, make your offer and be prepared to walk away. Trust me, they'll likely reach out within a week. Garantia is not as crucial if you can provide USD. Don't fall for demands like paying six months upfront or leaving more than a two-month deposit. Deposits here are typically just one month. In my case, the landlord initially wanted two months, but I offered one month deposit and one month in advance, and he accepted it upon reconsideration.

I have a question for Snowwhite: Are you making your payments in cash, through a US check, or have you exchanged to pesos?

I recently secured an apartment, and I didn't have a garantia. It's important not to be misled by certain individuals. These days, many landlords prefer US dollars. If you have funds back home, offering to write a US check might be a favorable option. Most property owners, in my experience, have bank accounts abroad and are willing to accept such checks. It's a convenient way for them to move money out of the country without facing excessive taxes.

Here's a piece of advice: Spend some time exploring property listings on platforms like Zonaprop, Argenprop, or Vivavisos, as they all have similar listings. Some may inquire about garantia before showing a property, and in such cases, you can inform them that you're a foreigner but can arrange it if necessary. Approximately half of the listed prices are in USD, but don't worry—they legally cannot sign contracts in USD anymore. Ask for the equivalent in pesos. From there, you can determine whether the owner expects the official exchange rate or the blue dollar rate. Deducting 10-20% from the real dollar price, you can make an offer with cash, a check, or a transfer in USD.

Unless it's a property you absolutely must have, make your offer and be prepared to walk away. Trust me, they'll likely reach out within a week. Garantia is not as crucial if you can provide USD. Don't fall for demands like paying six months upfront or leaving more than a two-month deposit. Deposits here are typically just one month. In my case, the landlord initially wanted two months, but I offered one month deposit and one month in advance, and he accepted it upon reconsideration.
I am paying 1650 us$ for a very swanky 1 bedroom apartment in palermo on a short term lease. I have been staying here over the years. But i still feel that the owner does not appreciate me.

Please advise if its possible to get a 2 year lease on furnished apartment. I am single and I have no time to decorate or furnish the apartment. Did you come across such apartments in your search?

I am lucky because I expect to travel in out of Argentina almost every week - 10 days in near future with access to us$ from other countries.

I think this makes my situation stronger.

What kind of typical Argentine rate can I expect to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment in a really nice A+ building, furnished, all utilities to be paid by landlord.

I am paying 1650 us$ for a very swanky 1 bedroom apartment in palermo on a short term lease. I have been staying here over the years. But i still feel that the owner does not appreciate me.

Please advise if its possible to get a 2 year lease on furnished apartment. I am single and I have no time to decorate or furnish the apartment. Did you come across such apartments in your search?

I am lucky because I expect to travel in out of Argentina almost every week - 10 days in near future with access to us$ from other countries.

I think this makes my situation stronger.

What kind of typical Argentine rate can I expect to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment in a really nice A+ building, furnished, all utilities to be paid by landlord.
That's not a good feeling if you feel like you're not being appreciated. Definitely there are locals that rent out to other Porteños without a guarantia. It's not too common but it happens many times friends of friends or referrals of friends. I'm leasing out 2 of my properties to Porteõs without guarantias.

On a 2 year lease, most owners would NOT pay utilities. The tenant typically pays that as owners don't want to get stuck on a tenant that just leaves his AC running 24/7 even if they don't need it. With the subsidies ending, the rates can be skyhigh.

I believe the traditional route might still pose challenges without a guarantee, but negotiating with short-term rental owners, especially if you're willing to pay in dollars, could be a more feasible option. Check out apartments being rented directly by owners on platforms like soloduenos.com.ar or even Craigslist, and initiate negotiations. Given the current market slump, you're likely to find opportunities.

However, if you're considering a regular, two-year lease, keep in mind that:a) You'll be responsible for all bills.b) Expensas (building maintenance fees) are on the rise and can constitute a significant portion of your monthly rent.c) You'll need to furnish the place, including items like a fridge, which can be costly.Additionally, you'll have to pay the estate agent x2 the rent plus a 1x rent deposit before moving in.

Ultimately, unless you're residing in a high-end temporary rental, a regular lease might not be significantly cheaper anymore. Another aspect to consider is that owners of regular rentals may not always be the most responsible. Many people, including myself, have dealt with issues like gas leaks, boiler problems, major dampness, and the owners often show a lack of concern. Renting a furnished place might incentivize owners to maintain better quality, given that they are leasing out furnished properties.

I think I remember you posting in another post Ceviche that you decided to stay in that apartment. Did that not work out? Also, if the owner was including all bills, then definitely I could understand why he was raising the rates every year or so.

On almost all 2 year long-term leases the tenant always pays the utility bills. The condo fee is negotiated but in most of the properties I've leased out on a 2 year lease, the tenant has paid for all utilities and the condo bill. The only thing I paid was the ABL bill and the annual asset taxes on the property.

But I do agree with Ashley that owners that furnish out higher end rentals tend to take better care of the property and address problems as they want to keep the place in good condition.

Yes, all of my local friends and expats friends have always been pricing in USD for many years. It's only been during the past year or 2 with the crazy inflation that no one wants to use pesos. You'd have to be crazy to price in pesos. My friends are all locking in 1 to 2 year leases that are coming for renewal but prices are sky high now.

Back