Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

LuluKios

I am at a total loss with regard to the mail system in Buenos Aires.

I am presently in Canada and I want to mail a Spanish/English textbook to my friend in Buenos Aires. The book is new and worth about $120 USD. It's quite heavy as well.

On my side, of course, this is fairly simple-- I go to the post office, pay for postage, and send the book. I'd like to know what will happen to the book when it arrives in BA. Will it be delivered directly to my friend's door? Does he have to go to the post office to pick it up? Will this take all day? Will he have to pay anything?

Would it be better to copy the book, rather than send the book itself? I suppose I could scan it as well, but it is a gift and I'd like him to have a physical copy. I also don't want for him to have to spend any time or money printing and binding it.

Yes, I had thought about that, but again, I'd really like him to have the actual, physical book. Does anyone know would happen if I mailed it?

There is no import tax or ban on books. It was discussed and not implemented. However, the mail system is poor and it may or may not arrive and the time frame is anybodies guess. If it is very important I would send it via Fed/Ex. It is track-able and they will get it delivered directly to their apartment door!

In this I am an expert, I brought dozens of books from the USA to Arg. Here is how:
A) Sent it by regular air mail with an insurance receipt, or with a ticket for return receipt. This will guarantee that it will NOT GET LOST.
B) If it weights less than half a kilo it will probably get to your door.
C) If it is heavier they will send you a card to your home, and then you will have to go to CORREO INTERNACIONAL, just across the RETIRO bus station, present the ticket with a personal ID, wait in line and then they will give to you.

There is NO guarantee that if you send cheap books, the post office won't decide it's some valuable books. I had a client send some books to Buenos Aires. Just cheap books and the post office when they delivered them to Buenos Aires wanted some high import tax on them.

Long story short..she ended up just leaving the books at the post office and refused it as it was more than the cost of the books.

Back