the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Mataderos Fair - Gauchos, Folklore and typical food

Cariba

Administrator
Staff member

Mataderos Fair: how to get there, schedules​

1703109433084.png
A few minutes from the City Center, the Mataderos Fair is the ideal place to learn about the traditions and customs of the gauchos.

At the Mataderos Fair you can eat different types of grilled meat, buy crafts and attend folklore shows.

The Fair is located in the Mataderos neighborhood, 35 minutes from the city center. The fair takes place in the old hacienda market and public slaughterhouse.
The Mataderos Fair has more than 300 stalls, which attract thousands of residents and tourists every Sunday. In one sector of the fair, a stage is built where musical shows and typical dances take place. You can also enjoy the skills of gauchos, carriages and horses.

1703109669040.png

Many of the stalls are dedicated to selling food, where the roast, choripan, empanadas and wine are those chosen by the public.

The Mataderos Fair is a good place to buy crafts, mates and bulbs, leather goods, silver, fabrics and typical foods.

There is also a sector for folklore dancing with live music.

And you can participate in free workshops on folk dance, loom, tango, quichua, guitar, bass drum and sikus...

1703109744869.png
Slaughterhouses

Days and times​

The fair is held on Sundays and national holidays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

To keep in mind: during January and February there is NO fair.

It is suspended due to rain.

How to get to the Mataderos Fair​

Address: Av. Lisandro de la Torre and Av. De los Corrales. Slaughterhouses.

Colectivos (buses): 36, 55, 92, 63, 80, 92, 97, 103, 117, 126, 141, 155, 180 and 185.

1703109883675.png1703109889619.png1703109896107.png

I went there some time ago; it's a bit far from the city center but a lovely way to spend the afternoon. They have various handmade products, live music and dances, food, and good prices. It gets busier on Sundays. If you're looking for a place off the tourist track, this isn't it haha. In fact, I think there's even a TripAdvisor excursion to this fair, but it's also popular with locals. I enjoyed it and would definitely go again.

Back