Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Futupat

Hi there,

I am a New Yorker needing a massive change of scenery and I would love to move to Buenos Aires.

I have been actively researching medical programs in BA with no success.

If there anyone on ExpatsBA who is familiar with the educational system, please reply to this thread, or email me at lesly.bouchereau@gmail.com.

Some of the questions I have:

What are the names of the medical schools in Buenos Aires?

Are there any medical schools that instruct in English?

What are the requirements for admission?

What is the general tuition for medical school in Buenos Aires?

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi there,

I am a New Yorker needing a massive change of scenery and I would love to move to Buenos Aires.

I have been actively researching medical programs in BA with no success.

If there anyone on BAExpats who is familiar with the educational system, please reply to this thread, or email me at lesly.bouchereau@gmail.com.

Some of the questions I have:

What are the names of the medical schools in Buenos Aires?

Are there any medical schools that instruct in English?

What are the requirements for admission?

What is the general tuition for medical school in Buenos Aires?

Thanks so much in advance.
If it's a public Medicine School (called Facultad de Medicina) is FREE. Yes. As it should be always: education must be free of charge.
And in general that's the best education.

If you can't speak totally perfect and fluent Spanish (I assume not as you asked if there are any programs in English).... totally forget about this pipe dream of going to medical school in Argentina.

braytrain is totally correct. Not many respectable residency programs in the USA will consider you.

I'd say if you need a change of scenery move out of NY and move to another area. There are plenty of radically different areas in the USA vs. New York.

If you can't speak totally perfect and fluent Spanish (I assume not as you asked if there are any programs in English).... totally forget about this pipe dream of going to medical school in Argentina.

braytrain is totally correct. Not many respectable residency programs in the USA will consider you.

I'd say if you need a change of scenery move out of NY and move to another area. There are plenty of radically different areas in the USA vs. New York.
Not true. My best friend is a great neonatologist who studied in Rosario city many years ago, and he is invited to teach and to share his knowledge by really important Universities all over the world.

You might find some bilingual ( english- portuguese) programs in Brazil.

But first you need to come and live in South America and see if you really like it!

Not true. My best friend is a great neonatologist who studied in Rosario city many years ago, and he is invited to teach and to share his knowledge by really important Universities all over the world.
Lecturing and teaching doesn't equal practicing medicine. Giving a talk as an expert in the field is one thing. Having someone just graduated from med school in Argentina be accepted to a residency program in the US is completely different.

And it would be *very* difficult if not near impossible for that. Especially for an American citizen.

Lecturing and teaching doesn't equal practicing medicine. Giving a talk as an expert in the field is one thing. Having someone just graduated from med school in Argentina be accepted to a residency program in the US is completely different.

And it would be *very* difficult if not near impossible for that. Especially for an American citizen.
EXACTLY. That was what I was going to say. I reiterate what I posted that any RESPECTABLE residency program in the USA will accept you.

The situation is quite different when you are a foreign medical graduate from a top medical school abroad and you aren't a USA citizen. I know several FMG's (foreign medical graduates) from other countries that were acceptable to good residency programs.

However the difference is they were from top medical schools abroad and they weren't US citizens. The truth of the matter is that respectable residency programs in the USA will look at you as someone that most likely couldn't get accepted to a USA medical school and decided to take an easier path and go study abroad.

I'm not saying it's impossible but just not too likely a respectable residency program in the USA will accept you under the scenario you mentioned.

Back