Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Men, Be Careful!

legend

The U.S. Embassy in Argentina is warning men to be careful when meeting women on dating apps. There's been an increase in robberies where victims are targeted through these apps and drugged with spiked drinks. This is known as a "black widow" attack here in Argentina. The method usually involves drugging the drink with benzodiazepines like clonazepam, which plays a key role in these incidents. So, be extra cautious and think twice before inviting strangers to a hotel or your home. Just be aware and stay alert, no need to generalize, but it's smart to stay safe.

A friend came to visit, and I warned him about this type of theft. Mainly, you shouldn’t take a stranger to a hotel or apartment. Here’s a list of the most wanted in Argentina.

1724350233588.jpeg1724350248188.jpeg1724350264015.jpeg

It's no wonder that the number of people using dating apps is plummeting!

View attachment 6940
Honestly, I’m not surprised at all that people are using dating apps less. At first, they seemed like a fun and easy way to meet people, but now it feels like everyone’s just burnt out. It’s not just about swiping anymore; people are emotionally drained from all the meaningless conversations and lack of real connections.

Tinder used to be the go-to app, but now even that’s losing its appeal. And Bumble, with its whole “no pressure” vibe, isn’t making a big difference either. I’ve heard from so many people, especially younger ones, that they’re just over it. They’d rather focus on their mental health than keep going through the motions on these apps.

Plus, the pandemic didn’t help at all. A lot of Gen Z didn’t get a chance to develop social skills in person, so now it’s even harder for them to connect, whether it’s online or in real life. The whole dating scene is in this weird place where the old ways aren’t working, but there’s no new solution yet.

The BA Herald had a post about the US Embassy warning. They said similar incidents in 2022 and 2023 with this.

This kind of thing probably has been going on for a long time but when the economy turns you always see more of it happening.

Here is another story on the increase of druggings and robberies in BA.

Back