Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy MEP dollar and CCL rose strongly and the gap

The sudden and significant rise, surpassing CCL and MEP, is remarkable. With interest rates lowered to levels where keeping pesos in the bank seems unprofitable, it feels like we're reverting to the old practice of saving in USD.

The sudden and significant rise, surpassing CCL and MEP, is remarkable. With interest rates lowered to levels where keeping pesos in the bank seems unprofitable, it feels like we're reverting to the old practice of saving in USD.
Of course it will always be wise to save In US dollars. I like what Milei is doing but there are still many problems in Argentina and the next few months will be difficult. We aren't out of the woods at all. Job losses are tremendous now and I'm not sure many of these people can find another job.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but I wanted to share that today's VISA cc rate was 1,483. With the dollar blue at 1,330 I don't understand why the cc card exchange rate is so high.
I think you are reading that wrong @Sunny. The credit card MEP rate is the rate that you get for foreign credit cards. You can see all the rates here.

You can see the rate was 1,290 for MEP today and the credit card companies charge about 6% fee. What you're referencing sounds like the rate that the locals have to pay if they use their local credit cards outside of Argentina. They are penalized I think. Or at least that is what my girlfriend told me.

@StatusNomadicus posts sometimes (not daily) on what the actual rate he gets after fees. But my easy way to calculate is looking at the MEP rate on that website above and just subtracting about 6% and that is close to what the rate you will get if you use your foreign credit card.

I think you are reading that wrong @Sunny. The credit card MEP rate is the rate that you get for foreign credit cards. You can see all the rates here.

You can see the rate was 1,290 for MEP today and the credit card companies charge about 6% fee. What you're referencing sounds like the rate that the locals have to pay if they use their local credit cards outside of Argentina. They are penalized I think. Or at least that is what my girlfriend told me.

@StatusNomadicus posts sometimes (not daily) on what the actual rate he gets after fees. But my easy way to calculate is looking at the MEP rate on that website above and just subtracting about 6% and that is close to what the rate you will get if you use your foreign credit card.

Yes this is correct. I use a credit card that doesn't charge any forex fees and usually it is about 6% or close to that less than the MEP rate. @Sunny the rate you want to look at is the MEP rate.

You can see what the Dolar Tarjeta is here:

Thank you @Digital Nomad and @Betsy Ross. I always do a very simple calculation to see what the exchange rate was at the moment and this time that amount surprised me because it was higher than it should've been. Yesterday, a few hours later, I made another purchase at the same shop and the exchange rate went down 120 pesos. It's not really important, I was just curious.
Where did you charge it at @Sunny? So you used your foreign credit card and got a great rate? Would love the details. I used my card yesterday but only got close to the MEP rate.

Thank you @Digital Nomad and @Betsy Ross. I always do a very simple calculation to see what the exchange rate was at the moment and this time that amount surprised me because it was higher than it should've been. Yesterday, a few hours later, I made another purchase at the same shop and the exchange rate went down 120 pesos. It's not really important, I was just curious.
I've never seen them make a mistake but maybe it's a good omen and sign of things to come.

The blue dollar reached a new record today of 1,370 to $1 USD and some parts of Argentina went to 1,390 today. 1,500 should be around the corner soon.

Coto, around 10:00 AM (that was when the rate was 1,483), then around 4:00 PM and just after 5:00 PM, at another shop with a much lower rate. Yes, foreign cc with cash back and no fees.
That would be great! It looks like there is a lot of volatility as the blue rate has jumped up. I think if I was getting almost 1,500 I'd load up on groceries for the week! :D

This signal that things are not going good for Milei. He is causing very severe recession. Blue rate now has 50% difference with official rate again. It moving very fast now. Probably will need to devaluate again which cause inflation to jump.

This signal that things are not going good for Milei. He is causing very severe recession. Blue rate now has 50% difference with official rate again. It moving very fast now. Probably will need to devaluate again which cause inflation to jump.

While this clown is jetting off to Europe and speculating if he will win the Nobel prize and giving concerts about him being a lion, Argentina is burning. He is out of touch and so are many of you.

Back