Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Milei meets with the most important figures in the technology sector

But it not matter if he meet with all these important leaders if it doesn't improve average life of typical Argentine people.

He have no empathy for local people. He will get rich from book and after President he will go on tour making money. That doesn't help Argentines.

This good article talk about he disconnected from reality.

For those people who said it was a waste of time for President Milei to go to the USA and meet with all the leaders of Silicon Valley and the big VC firms. You were wrong.

President Milei's administration just announced that they are about to receive a $1 BILLION technology investment into Argentina in the next few weeks. Many things people don't understand and are in a hurry but things take time and if this article is true, this would be record time. Many do believe in the turn around in Argentina.

For those people who said it was a waste of time for President Milei to go to the USA and meet with all the leaders of Silicon Valley and the big VC firms. You were wrong.

President Milei's administration just announced that they are about to receive a $1 BILLION technology investment into Argentina in the next few weeks. Many things people don't understand and are in a hurry but things take time and if this article is true, this would be record time. Many do believe in the turn around in Argentina.

Wow that was quick!!! No Argentine president could ever land those types of meetings in the first place. I guessed that companies would eventually invest in Argentina but wow that was quick!

Wow that was quick!!! No Argentine president could ever land those types of meetings in the first place. I guessed that companies would eventually invest in Argentina but wow that was quick!
Well, odds are they already had some initial discussions before the face-to-face meetings. Still, I wouldn't count the money until they have all the paperwork signed. Many times big companies say they will invest and it drags out forever. But deals don't have the CEO's directly meeting with the President of a Nation talking about this.

It would be cool to someday see an Apple store in Buenos Aires and the streets flooded with iphones. That will the day we have made a ton of progress in Argentina. They have to get rid of these crazy import taxes and make prices competitive on everything.

Well, odds are they already had some initial discussions before the face-to-face meetings. Still, I wouldn't count the money until they have all the paperwork signed. Many times big companies say they will invest and it drags out forever. But deals don't have the CEO's directly meeting with the President of a Nation talking about this.

It would be cool to someday see an Apple store in Buenos Aires and the streets flooded with iphones. That will the day we have made a ton of progress in Argentina. They have to get rid of these crazy import taxes and make prices competitive on everything.
I would LOVE to see a day when Apple moves here. When I see that then I will know that Argentina has a prosperous future ahead. Once people get a taste of very good products at the same price or slightly higher there is no way you will get people to turn back the clock. I'm still not holding my breath we will see this any time soon. But when I saw Milei meeting with all of these guys I was impressed. They all seemed very eager to meet with him. Certainly NOT because they want to help Argentina but they all see it making them $$$$.

Milei did not meet with Bezos, did he? I thought that Amazon would be the first to enter this market to compete with ML. Weird.
No Sunny he didn't meet with Bezos and doubt he will. Amazon is making a lot of headway in Mexico but that's probably because of it's proximity to the USA. Mercado Libre dominates in Argentina and from what I've heard, President Milei has a great relationship with the founders of Mercado Libre. So I doubt Amazon will ever expand here. Mercado Libre works really well in Argentina. If they can fix the import taxes and restrictions, Mercado Libre should have much more inventory and products.

I've been really impressed with how well they work. I've bought big ticket items like big LED TV's and it was very easy returning items that didn't work. Back when I first moved to Argentina and even probably a decade after that it was a nightmare here buying stuff. ML has made things much easier.

I believe it when I see it. Let see if it helps Argentina more or those company more.

Too bad, it would be better if ML had a competitor.

I find their prices quite high, compared to the actual local stores. Then again, maybe Amazon prices are not as cheap, comparatively, as they used to be.
I was in Buenos Aires a few months ago and it was frustrating that I couldn't use Mercado Libre. You had to have residency or something like that. I had to ask people I met there and my Airbnb owner if I could pay them and they order it. I felt bad for asking them. I was surprised that things there cost 3 times the cost as in the US for many things.

I was thinking it would be nice if Amazon was down here but my Airbnb owner told me impossible with the import taxes. I hope the new President can fix that.

I was in Buenos Aires a few months ago and it was frustrating that I couldn't use Mercado Libre. You had to have residency or something like that. I had to ask people I met there and my Airbnb owner if I could pay them and they order it. I felt bad for asking them. I was surprised that things there cost 3 times the cost as in the US for many things.

I was thinking it would be nice if Amazon was down here but my Airbnb owner told me impossible with the import taxes. I hope the new President can fix that.
How do parents manage buying toys for their kids? I met a nice neighbor at my Airbnb that had a young kid. I would see him all the time so I went to a toy store to buy him a toy. I was horrified to see prices for a simple toy that might cost $20 in the States and it was about $70 here. Everything in that toy store was 3 or 4 X the cost back home. I understand there is some import and VAT taxes but how do they justify 300% -400% mark up?