Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Milei - Time magazine

I knew nothing about Milei until late summer last year, when we decided to move country once again (we had been living in CDMX for several months). I didn't know what to think of this man, I thought he was an Argentine version of Trump. The night he won the election, we had gone for a walk and reached Av. Bullrich at Libertador as the results were being announced. The area suddenly turned into a giant parking lot and the celebration began. It was nice to see so many happy faces, so much joy, but we did not know what to think. Was this a good thing? What's going to happen to this country? How would this affect us?

Eight months later, we have learned a lot about what happened in this country in the past 40 years. We've also done a lot of research on the people Milei trusts the most, which helped us understand his approach and behavior. We feel confident now that things will improve because of Milei, the support of the Argentine people, geopolitics, and the particular moment the world is going through. This is a new age, no doubt about that.
He really was not expected to even have a chance. But I think it goes to show you how fed up and tired many have become with the country. Even the poor and the ones that have the most to lose supported him. I remember thinking to myself when Milei was going through with chainsaws thinking to myself these people would be paying the most if the elected him. But many of them just want to see a different Argentina.

We are still not out of the woods and many are suffering but I see a sense of hope which is something I haven't seen in a while.

That's right. There's no comparison. Milei is a thinker, a reactionary, and a patriot.
I knew nothing about Milei until late summer last year, when we decided to move country once again (we had been living in CDMX for several months). I didn't know what to think of this man, I thought he was an Argentine version of Trump. The night he won the election, we had gone for a walk and reached Av. Bullrich at Libertador as the results were being announced. The area suddenly turned into a giant parking lot and the celebration began. It was nice to see so many happy faces, so much joy, but we did not know what to think. Was this a good thing? What's going to happen to this country? How would this affect us?

Eight months later, we have learned a lot about what happened in this country in the past 40 years. We've also done a lot of research on the people Milei trusts the most, which helped us understand his approach and behavior. We feel confident now that things will improve because of Milei, the support of the Argentine people, geopolitics, and the particular moment the world is going through. This is a new age, no doubt about that.
I worried quite a bit that he would be another Trump but so far I think there is a big difference. Even Trump I don't think is unintelligent. I am no expert but the USA economy seems to have done a lot better under Trump. Many of the warnings that Trump said would happen if Biden won have come true. It is remarkable. I have many friends that are democrats in the US but they can't bring themselves to vote for Biden this year.

I would have to believe that ultimately Biden won't run. I can't believe Biden agreed to a debate. Biden seems so frail and old and weak. Trump is almost the same age but he seems much sharper. Milei for all his faults seems full of energy and very witty.

I think many people are like you @Sunny.

I asked my friends and they said everyone said Milei was a fad and going nowhere. Man I guess he showed them!

All good thoughts on President Milei and I think people nailed it. I do think he is a bit of a narcissist but that's not always a bad thing. I find him to be a super intelligent man. His sister too. I had heard of him a few years ago but it was in July 2023 that I took a deep dive and could see that he was going to win. I did some polling and I could see people were ready for true change. It shocked me to see that people that would suffer the most fixing Argentina still were going to vote for him.

I was one of the very few people that predicted it would be a blow out the day before the election. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't agree with everything President Milei says or does. But then again I don't with almost any leader of any country. Everyone has their faults and weaknesses.

Argentina isn't out of the woods yet. There are a lot of problems in Argentina. There is a lot of people suffering here. There are a LOT of things to fix in Argentina. Milei's job is only starting and there is no guarantee he will succeed. But I am cautiously optimistic. I think if anyone has a chance for fundamental and systemic change it is President Milei.

I honestly didn't think I would see systemic change in Argentina in my lifetime before Milei. I am hoping my kids get to see systemic change for Argentina. It is still not sure to me how long fundamental change will take to happen.

People should focus on the positive things that President Milei is doing for Argentina. Wise people, even the ones that are suffering can see that. They understand that there will most likely be really difficult short-term pain to turn things around. Nothing is really a surprise and President Milei has told people ahead of time this would be a very painful process. He inherited a mess and it's a monumental, monstrous task fixing things.

I worried that Milei was just another "Trump" but they are very different. I think Time Magazine nailed it.

But in important ways, the two men are very different. “Milei is a rigid ideologue, a true believer,” a senior U.S. diplomat told me, “and Trump only believes in himself.” Milei believes he was elected for his promises of a broader cultural revolution, not in spite of them, and he is intent on realizing that mission no matter the political costs. Making the nation “Great Again” means “returning to those libertarian values that made Argentina a leading global power,” he told me. “That is my vision.”

Back