Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer More Provinces Charge Foreigners for Public Hospital Care

I was curious about how much it costs foreigners to receive care at a public hospital in Salta. I found an article that details the costs for hospitalization and surgical procedures, but it doesn’t mention the cost of medical consultations. I’ll share it with you.

It is worth mentioning that a foreigner must pay $100,000 per day to occupy a common bed, in the intermediate ward it costs $190,000 and in intensive care $250,000.
There was also a sharp drop in the number of foreign women crossing the Bermejo River to give birth in Argentine hospitals. Now, with the new measure, childbirth costs up to $500,000. Meanwhile, neonatal therapy costs $350,000 per day.

Among other procedures, a knee operation can cost up to $35,000,000 between the orthopedic part, anesthesia, surgery and recovery. Hip surgery costs more.

According to the article, in March medical consultations were charged at ARS 5,000, which gives us a reference point. It seems like a fair and affordable amount. Although I imagine there has been an increase due to inflation, I don’t think it should be anything excessive.

I'm curious what would happen to me in this situation. I had a very bad cold but ignored it and went out drinking all weekend, got highly dehydrated. Then I collapsed from extreme dehydration and fell down some stairs on Cordoba. Smashed my head and blood was pouring out.

The police in the street swarmed me and called an ambulance but I kept telling them no no no until eventually they cancelled the ambulance. If the ambulance had arrived how much would I have to pay ???

I'm curious what would happen to me in this situation. I had a very bad cold but ignored it and went out drinking all weekend, got highly dehydrated. Then I collapsed from extreme dehydration and fell down some stairs on Cordoba. Smashed my head and blood was pouring out.

The police in the street swarmed me and called an ambulance but I kept telling them no no no until eventually they cancelled the ambulance. If the ambulance had arrived how much would I have to pay ???
If you read the article, it clarifies that emergencies are still being handled as usual. It's illegal here to deny care to someone in an emergency, especially if their life is at risk. That's why Argentinians condemned the unfortunate incident in Bolivia when a hospital refused to treat an Argentine girl who had 80% of her body burned in a domestic accident. Here, that's considered abandonment. It's really sad.

You shouldn't be charged anything @BikeEnthusiast. That would be classified as an emergency. As far as I know, even if you're a tourist you wouldn't be charged anything with an emergency like that. I don't even think if they deemed you caused it by being drunk if they would charge you anything.

Medical costs are very reasonable here. Even if you had to pay it wouldn't be too much. It's not like in the States. You probably don't need to hear this from me but if you have a bad cold you shouldn't be drinking alcohol.

I was curious about how much it costs foreigners to receive care at a public hospital in Salta. I found an article that details the costs for hospitalization and surgical procedures, but it doesn’t mention the cost of medical consultations. I’ll share it with you.

It is worth mentioning that a foreigner must pay $100,000 per day to occupy a common bed, in the intermediate ward it costs $190,000 and in intensive care $250,000.
There was also a sharp drop in the number of foreign women crossing the Bermejo River to give birth in Argentine hospitals. Now, with the new measure, childbirth costs up to $500,000. Meanwhile, neonatal therapy costs $350,000 per day.

Among other procedures, a knee operation can cost up to $35,000,000 between the orthopedic part, anesthesia, surgery and recovery. Hip surgery costs more.
These prices are all still very reasonable. A friend was in the USA on vacation and got hit and run and the driver fled. They had to go in an ambulance and go to the hospital. They got the shock of their life that the bill was tens of thousands of dollars. They had no medical coverage. I don't know how they ever handled it but they were shocked how expensive things are in the US with medical bills.

It is very inexpensive relatively speaking for medical care here. Here you can see an American that moved here and paid out of pocket for emergency.

The Ministry of Health is considering charging foreigners for care at public hospitals in Buenos Aires.

I don't think many foreigners will complain except maybe some Mercosur residents that strategically plan to come here for free education or healthcare.

Damn dude. Are you ok?

Another province has joined the move to charge foreigners for medical services. This time, it’s Pablo Soria Public Hospital in Jujuy. This is how it should be. This policy should also be applied to universities. Foreign students should pay for their education just as they would for healthcare services.

Yep, just read about it here -

Back