Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Real Estate Sales Mortgages!

Yes, thanks so much for posting all of those supporting articles. Sometimes even online they will say "available" but my point is they are NOT. Like the other posters mentioned, if you go talk to a bank they laugh and say no way or they haven't been offered for a while. Such is life in Argentina where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Thanks for the valuable contribution to this website. This is what OUR community is all about and why it's the best source of Ex-pat news in Buenos Aires in the world.

Have a great day.

Priced in UVAS
Priced in UVAs. 20% deposit. One did 10 months ago. UVA explains it all.
Priced in UVAS?

What are the the latest repayments like? They must have gone through the roof with the latest inflation figures.

My wife took out a UVA loan to finance part of a car purchase about two years ago - when I started to look at the repayment schedule I sat down with the bank manager , made some not very veiled litigation threats and told him to get us out of the hole and the financial trap the bank had set us.

Priced in UVAS

Priced in UVAS?

What are the the latest repayments like? They must have gone through the roof with the latest inflation figures.

My wife took out a UVA loan to finance part of a car purchase about two years ago - when I started to look at the repayment schedule I sat down with the bank manager , made some not very veiled litigation threats and told him to get us out of the hole and the financial trap the bank had set us.
Wow did the bank manager get you out of the repayments? How did it turn out?

Wow did the bank manager get you out of the repayments? How did it turn out?
I was able to repay the loan with no penalty fees and no charges.

I told the manager his staff had sold the loan to my wife without explaining clearly that the UVA repayment program depended on the rate of inflation.

I also talked generally about legal action in Argentina , mentioning that my lawyer already had started several cases for UVA mis selling. But I think I won the argument when I mentioned that we would start a similar action in Spain where the banks main shareholder is based.

I was able to repay the loan with no penalty fees and no charges.

I told the manager his staff had sold the loan to my wife without explaining clearly that the UVA repayment program depended on the rate of inflation.

I also talked generally about legal action in Argentina , mentioning that my lawyer already had started several cases for UVA mis selling. But I think I won the argument when I mentioned that we would start a similar action in Spain where the banks main shareholder is based.
That is amazing to hear. I think most banks get very scared when you talk about taking legal action. I'm not sure legally who would win but big public messy disputes are not good for banks anywhere.

That is amazing to hear. I think most banks get very scared when you talk about taking legal action. I'm not sure legally who would win but big public messy disputes are not good for banks anywhere.
In my case, it also helped that my bank manager knows that I am friendly with a lot of local journalists - Knowing a few names of the top execs in Europe also helped - he changed color when I offered him my phone to explain the situation to one of the guys in Madrid.

In my case, it also helped that my bank manager knows that I am friendly with a lot of local journalists - Knowing a few names of the top execs in Europe also helped - he changed color when I offered him my phone to explain the situation to one of the guys in Madrid.
Yes, I had an experience at HSBC where I also had to threaten to come back with my lawyer and journalists. You can read this example below. It was comical seeing their faces when you do this.

I read about Milei making drastic changes and trying to dollarize the economy. Do any of you think mortgages will be available in the future? Is there any way to leverage and get a loan or it sounds like cash only there?

I read about Milei making drastic changes and trying to dollarize the economy. Do any of you think mortgages will be available in the future? Is there any way to leverage and get a loan or it sounds like cash only there?
I don't see mortgages coming any time soon. Salaries will have to go way up. For a foreigner forget about it.

The banks are making too much money to get involved in the mortgage market / with account maintenance charges rising every month and short term credits with 200% plus interest rates , Mortgages are too much bother!

The banks are making too much money to get involved in the mortgage market / with account maintenance charges rising every month and short term credits with 200% plus interest rates , Mortgages are too much bother!
I totally agree with you. The banks are a total scam there. Especially for businesses. Hopefully they normalize the entire sector. But it will probably take time.

Back