Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer My wife (Argentinian) claims you can live "well" on $1500 a month in Argentina. True?

Harvard Law Review, that's where I got the information... " All the sources routinely used to interpret the Constitution confirm that the phrase “natural born Citizen” has a specific meaning: namely, someone who was a U.S. citizen at birth with no need to go through a naturalization proceeding at some later time. And Congress has made equally clear from the time of the framing of the Constitution to the current day that, subject to certain residency requirements on the parents, someone born to a U.S. citizen parent generally becomes a U.S. citizen without regard to whether the birth takes place in Canada, the Canal Zone, or the continental United States." Source
That's why Ted Cruz was allowed to seek the GOP nomination despite being born in Canada and why all the court challenges to his campaign were unsuccessful source . I state it matter of factly because it is how it works.

Back to the original question... I agree that your child being born in Argentina may complicate matters in case something goes wrong, but my guess is that if your wife really wants to move back to Argentina and you don't, things may go poorly then too.
That interpretation is unsettled and not clear. Just because some Harvard scholars are interviewed and saying their interpretation makes it ok doesn't mean it's ok. There is a reason why even the Supreme Court hasn't touched the issue. I'm not saying it's impossible but many people believe that the original constitution forbids it. But honestly the US presidency has became a circus and I can't see anyone that would want to be President of USA.

I totally agree with everyone else that this is a complicated situation if the child is born there and the wife wants to move back to Argentina (which very often does happen).

I do not think $1,500 is enough especially for a couple. Of course it all depends on definitions of well, etc. I think you can be comfortable. But, you won't be living great.

I do not think $1,500 is enough especially for a couple. Of course it all depends on definitions of well, etc. I think you can be comfortable. But, you won't be living great.
I agree. Even with the current exchange rate if you have a child (which I believe this OP said they do or one is on the way), $1,500 US (60,000 PESOS) isn't much. You can NOT go by what the median income is for the local. You can't compare how someone locally making very little income is living with what you're accustomed to as an ex-pat. From my experience, it's tough to go backwards once you're used to living a certain quality of life.

Once your kids start school, the public schools are NOT good. ALL of my friends that have kids send them to private schools and they are all really suffering complaining about the constant increases and how expensive it's getting just sending their kids to preschool and kindergarten. Rents in good areas aren't cheap. If you OWN a property that really helps not having to pay rent. But still when you factor in all of the things we're used to in a first world country and if you want to dine out, travel AND save up for future it's going to be impossible at $1,500 per month.

I have been think of coming to Argentina for birth tourism, so I had my share of doing some research about the cost of living and here what I found out (and please correct me if I were wrong or mistaken, also forgive me for my week English)

- The nice and safe neighborhoods are (Recoleta, Palermo, Villa Crespo, the once close to the Bay)
- The Studio rent is between (750 USD - 1500 USD) per month depends on the Area
- Argentina and BA is pretty safe and there is no need for renting a studio in secured compound (unlike what I have been told by my family and friends because they are always comparing it to Brazil)
- Public Hospitals is free (almost free) and for Insurance or Medical Plans we cannot get because we are a Tourists
- Private hospitals are expensive because I contacted 3 hospitals (Italian, German, and British) and Aleman hospital is the only one responded to my email (Between 130,000 ARS and 180,000 ARS) for baby delivery
- Public Transporation is cheap and good
- Life cost is not that expensive (comparing to Saudi Arabia) such as restaurants and grocery stores like 50% cheaper than here based on https://www.expatistan.com website and 1000 USD per month (average is 750 USD) is more enough for 2 persons

so average cost of living for 2 persons is like 1750 USD per month

this what I found online, so 1500 USD per month is not impossible or even difficult (I excluded the Pubs, Nightclub because we don't drink)

please remember all my information comes from the Internet, not real life or experience

I have been think of coming to Argentina for birth tourism, so I had my share of doing some research about the cost of living and here what I found out (and please correct me if I were wrong or mistaken, also forgive me for my week English)

- The nice and safe neighborhoods are (Recoleta, Palermo, Villa Crespo, the once close to the Bay)
- The Studio rent is between (750 USD - 1500 USD) per month depends on the Area
- Argentina and BA is pretty safe and there is no need for renting a studio in secured compound (unlike what I have been told by my family and friends because they are always comparing it to Brazil)
- Public Hospitals is free (almost free) and for Insurance or Medical Plans we cannot get because we are a Tourists
- Private hospitals are expensive because I contacted 3 hospitals (Italian, German, and British) and Aleman hospital is the only one responded to my email (Between 130,000 ARS and 180,000 ARS) for baby delivery
- Public Transporation is cheap and good
- Life cost is not that expensive (comparing to Saudi Arabia) such as restaurants and grocery stores like 50% cheaper than here based on https://www.expatistan.com website and 1000 USD per month (average is 750 USD) is more enough for 2 persons

so average cost of living for 2 persons is like 1750 USD per month

this what I found online, so 1500 USD per month is not impossible or even difficult (I excluded the Pubs, Nightclub because we don't drink)

please remember all my information comes from the Internet, not real life or experience
Yes, the nice neighborhoods that are safe, beautiful and typically have high quality of life are Recoleta, Palermo, Barrio Norte, Belgrano, and the one close to the water that you're referring to is called Puerto Madero but that's an expensive area and not too convenient as it's not central.

Yeah, your budget for rental sounds doable. And you're right, BA is a relatively safe city. Like any big city you have to take precautions but mostly small scams (pick pocketing, stealing cellphones, etc) vs. violet crime here. I also own an apartment in Rio and spend time there and it's much more dangerous as you mentioned. The problem there is there are favelas and really poor right next to nice neigborhoods.

As you mentioned, you don't qualify for free healthcare but even if you did the public hospitals aren't nice, especially in the event of an emergency or serious health issue. Private insurance as you mentioned isn't cheap. Are you saying you'd roll the dice and not have any health insurance??

Do this exercise. Add up all of the things you would spend on a monthly basis. Be realistic with yourself. What do you come up with at the end of the month? Also, are you just not going to save anything for retirement? Many people that say, "oh i can live for $X a month" don't factor in having to save for the future. I've always found it's totally unrealistic to not save anything for the future. Especially if you're going to have a child. Kids simply are not cheap. Groceries in Buenos Aires simply are not cheap.

In my experience, people always underestimate what they will spend vs. overestimate.

-Mortgage or Rent (if you don't own outright)
- Property taxes if you own
-Phone (Land line and Cell phone)
- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc)
- HOA fees/expensas each month
- Maintenance and repairs (if you own a property)
- Car payments
- Car insurance
- Auto Fuel each month for each car
- Registration fees for your car each year
- Maintenance on your car to include car washes and oil changes
-Parking (various times when you're out and about plus if you don't have a garage in your apartment and have to rent one)
- Home/rental insurance for your property
- Life insurance
- Health insurance premiums
- Dental insurance premiums
- Medical/Dental expenses (what insurance won't cover)
- Prescription medications
- School expenses for kids (tuition, stuff for school, ballet classes, etc)
- Babysitter expenses
- Annual fee for Credit Cards
- Clothes for kids and yourself
- Toys for kids
- Dry Cleaning
- Health club / gym
- Taxi/Uber fares which are inevitable.
- Beauty (hair salon for hair cuts, color, nails, make up, etc)
- Extracurricular activities dues/fees
- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, Zoo, concerts, sporting events, etc --)
- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions
- Dining out at restaurants
- Grocery budget
- Retirement savings contributions
- Kids college fund savings contributions
- Charity/donations
- Travel / vacation expenses
- Federal/State/local income taxes
- Any revolving debt payments you might have
- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc)
- Emergency savings fund for any major health issues
- Non reimbursed office/work expenses and supplies

I don't know, dozens of my Argentinian relatives have managed to live good and happy lives in Buenos Aires for decades and have turned out OK. They put their children in public schools and every child has gone on to be college graduates and become successful architects, engineers, software/tech engineers, business executives and physicians. They all have cars. A few of them have a second weekend home out in the country. They take annual trips to Europe and Asia, and vacation in Brazil and Miami during the summers. They are happy, they are raising their own happy well-adjusted family-oriented intelligent children. Somehow they managed to do all that while still being Argentinian and living in Buenos Aires, imagine that. Not everyone wants to live like an American.

There is much to be said to live in a society where families are large and very close and look out for each other. Where you can send your child to school or go to work and not worry about being shot. Where that same child then can go to university all the way to getting their PhD and finish with zero student loan debt. Where an accident or illness does not mean they will have to declare bankruptcy from medical bills even while insured.

To the OP, I see where your wife is coming from. I hear her when she says American society is cold. She just wants a simpler life close to her family. It's not impossible. It's also not some huge step-down to live simpler and be happy with less material things and accept that life can be chaotic in Buenos Aires, but for her the benefits outweigh the negatives. No, you won't have a 1200sq ft house with granite countertops and stainless-steel appliances in a gated community, drive a BMW, and have a flat-screen in every room on $1500/month. However, if that's more important to you, stay in the US.

I don't know, dozens of my Argentinian relatives have managed to live good and happy lives in Buenos Aires for decades and have turned out OK. They put their children in public schools and every child has gone on to be college graduates and become successful architects, engineers, software/tech engineers, business executives and physicians. They all have cars. A few of them have a second weekend home out in the country. They take annual trips to Europe and Asia, and vacation in Brazil and Miami during the summers. They are happy, they are raising their own happy well-adjusted family-oriented intelligent children. Somehow they managed to do all that while still being Argentinian and living in Buenos Aires, imagine that. Not everyone wants to live like an American.

There is much to be said to live in a society where families are large and very close and look out for each other. Where you can send your child to school or go to work and not worry about being shot. Where that same child then can go to university all the way to getting their PhD and finish with zero student loan debt. Where an accident or illness does not mean they will have to declare bankruptcy from medical bills even while insured.

To the OP, I see where your wife is coming from. I hear her when she says American society is cold. She just wants a simpler life close to her family. It's not impossible. It's also not some huge step-down to live simpler and be happy with less material things and accept that life can be chaotic in Buenos Aires, but for her the benefits outweigh the negatives. No, you won't have a 1200sq ft house with granite countertops and stainless-steel appliances in a gated community, drive a BMW, and have a flat-screen in every room on $1500/month. However, if that's more important to you, stay in the US.
GREAT for your friends. But they certainly didn't do this on $1,500 US per month! I think that was the point of the OP. Can you SURVIVE on $1,500 US per month with a wife and child in Buenos Aires. Umm. Sure. But my point is that surviving and thriving aren't the same thing.

AFVA mentioned his dozens of friends that had great lives there. Absolutely you CAN but it takes money. People that have second homes in the country, take annual trips to USA, Europe and Asia and vacation in Brazil and Miami during summers do NOT do it on $1,500 US per month! That was my point. My wealthy Argentine friends make most of my wealthy American friends look poor!

It's not about "living like an American". My point was that in life it's almost impossible to go backwards. When you have a big house (and no I don't consider a house of 1,200 sq. feet as big). and try to go backwards it's tough. When you have a really nice car and go to a cheap car it's tough. When you have a certain style of life and accustomed to things actually working it's tough to go backwards.

No one is even talking about driving a BMW, living in a fancy house, etc. etc. Do the exercise. Add up realistically what you'd realistically spend having a wife and child (no matter where you live). Take my list and be honest and list all the things you would spend and I can promise you that for most people it will be a heck of a lot more than $1,500 US per month.

This isn't even about being materialistic. Things just add up. Wives like to go and get their hair done, their nails done, buy clothes, eat out at nice places once in a while. I don't care where you live and I've lived in many different places. You just have to be realistic. From my experience, people magically try to move somewhere and they try to say to themselves that they can make it work but don't really be honest with themselves how much they will actually spend across ALL spending categories including saving for retirement. That's the #1 reason why most people around the world aren't prepared for retirement and older age. They spend most of their lives fooling themselves and not saving enough.

At least in Argentina, many do end up having a paid off place by the time they are retired. Most in the USA will never see their title deeds and have no idea what it looks like.

I don't post (mainly because my writing skills are nonexistent) but I have been reading this forum for many years. I have been living in B.A. off and on for 13 years. The reason also was my wife wanted to move back because she wanted our daughter to grow up there. The main thing I took from your post is that you don't want to live here. I have tried to enjoy it here and sometimes I do, but I do get tired how difficult even some of the simple things are here. I would just caution you it would be easy to resent the fact that you are being forced to live somewhere you don't want to live. I don't know your own family situation but you would be cut off from them for long periods. I have gone back and forth to the U.S. for all those years to work and sometimes my family would live there but always wanted to go back. Now I am retired and trying B.A. again and already looking forward to going back next year and working for the summer season. I am going to enroll my daughter in an online school based in the U.S. so she can get a U.S. diploma I know she is going to want to go to the U.S. for better career prospects , so who knows where we will live then. As for the money at 38 to 1 exchange we live on 3000 comfortably ( that makes us peso millionaires lol )

I don't post (mainly because my writing skills are nonexistent) but I have been reading this forum for many years. I have been living in B.A. off and on for 13 years. The reason also was my wife wanted to move back because she wanted our daughter to grow up there. The main thing I took from your post is that you don't want to live here. I have tried to enjoy it here and sometimes I do, but I do get tired how difficult even some of the simple things are here. I would just caution you it would be easy to resent the fact that you are being forced to live somewhere you don't want to live. I don't know your own family situation but you would be cut off from them for long periods. I have gone back and forth to the U.S. for all those years to work and sometimes my family would live there but always wanted to go back. Now I am retired and trying B.A. again and already looking forward to going back next year and working for the summer season. I am going to enroll my daughter in an online school based in the U.S. so she can get a U.S. diploma I know she is going to want to go to the U.S. for better career prospects , so who knows where we will live then. As for the money at 38 to 1 exchange we live on 3000 comfortably ( that makes us peso millionaires lol )
Thanks for taking the time to post oldgringo. I've noticed more people joining and some non-active posters posting lately so that's great!

Don't be hard on your writing skills as your post was great. I've had many American and European friends that were in a similar situation where the wife was the Argentine. What I've found is it's much easier for Europeans to adapt vs. Americans for the most part.

Honestly, Buenos Aires can be a fabulous place to live if you don't have to deal with hassles of working or dealing with salary in peso, don't have to commute so much and make Dollars/Euros. And keep things in perspective or try to compare it too much with home.

I think one reason why locals miss Buenos Aires so much (at least was the case with my wife) was that they are leaving behind family and friends and also BA is such a walkable and livable city. You can get by if you wanted walking to many places, things are always open no matter how late it is. Public transportation available everywhere! BA has more taxis than London, Paris and NYC combined. Buses, subway. You never feel like anywhere is far away and you don't need a car.

On the flip side, in many many cities in the USA the cities aren't walkable. You MUST have a car. Things are very long distances between places. Public transportation might not be good. So if they have never had to drive in BA and have to either learn or be more dependent on you to take them around. They feel like they have less freedom.

In BA, there is a vibrant, youthful energy and vibe. Even during times of recession you have restaurants and cafes buzzing even until late. You have senior citizens strolling out or having coffee until late. In the USA most cities are completely dead early and the senior citizens are sleeping early. Really sad and pathetic.

So they miss that. It would be similar to a person from NYC moving to Kansas and having to adapt. They would strongly miss home too. And multiply that many fold.

My best advice for retired moving to BA is find some great local friends. Not good to just hang out with ex-pats. The locals can be a bit guarded at first but once they get to know you, they are very loyal, very charismatic and warm and my true friends there would do anything for me. I consider them like family. So really try to integrate with friends of your wife. Many educated locals all speak English and quite well.

Also, I'm not sure if you're fluent but really work towards even getting conversational if you aren't. That will probably be the single most important thing that will improve your quality of life and enjoyment and give you a big sense of freedom. Being able to fully communicate with anyone any time or place. You're never too old to start learning and you can start out with vocabulary and flashcards but really take the time if you don't speak Spanish and I can promise you that will give you the single biggest chance to improve your quality of life in BA.

Explore the city. BA is a HUGE city and many ex-pats stick around the same barrios they feel comfortable with but really take the time to explore. Do things like just jump on a random bus line and take it until it goes somewhere that you don't know and just get off and walk around exploring. Constantly try new places to eat/drink. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive but with the internet you can easily compile a list of "Best Of" lists and work to try to go to them throughout the year.

Continue doing the things that you enjoy back home. It sounds like a duh moment and so simple of course you would. But I can't tell you how many times I have friends (or even myself) like doing something back home but they don't do it in Argentina. Simple things like fishing, or golfing or camping, etc. At home they are very comfortable with their surroundings and they know exactly where to go so it's automatic. But it can feel like work going to somewhere new and having to find out. So really try to do the same things that you do back home that you enjoy doing.

I know for me personally when I retired I love golfing here where I live but I never golfed in Argentina when I went there. So when I spent several months living there I'd start golfing there and really enjoyed it. Good luck on your retirement in Buenos Aires.

I think when comparing safety in US vs. Argentina, one has to consider more specific locations and lifestyles. Safety varies from city to city and barrio to barrio. Some walk the streets late at night, others stay cocooned in a car in the suburbs, using a remote control to enter the garage.

I think when comparing safety in US vs. Argentina, one has to consider more specific locations and lifestyles. Safety varies from city to city and barrio to barrio. Some walk the streets late at night, others stay cocooned in a car in the suburbs, using a remote control to enter the garage.
Well, to be fair though in almost any city in the USA there is NO life at night after a certain hour. In Buenos Aires it's a VERY late night city so you can come out at midnight and the city is hustling and bustling with tons of people around, tons of places still over. In the USA, in most cities (even major cities) it's totally dead at 12:30 AM.

Sure, you have to consider specific locations but there just isn't active lifestyle like Buenos Aires. It's a unique city to have so much life and energy so late. Ironically, my friends that own houses in the northern suburbs have experienced more crime than all my friends that live in a building in Recoleta, Palermo, Barrio Norte, etc. Most of my friends live in buildings that have doormen or security. In the Northern suburbs, several of my friends have gotten their houses broken into and most likely it's the security guards telling the thieves when the owner's leave.

I do not have a strong desire to live in Argentina, but my wife does. She loves her country, wants to be close to her family and friends, and really hates the United States and what she perceives to be a more material, colder culture. I am trying to figure out if it can work financially and her primary argument is that it is substantially less expensive to live well in Argentina than in the United States.
I havent a clue how much it costs to live comfortably in the US but I suspect she's right. What worries me is whether you'll be able to adapt to living here. We used to visit once or twice year from the UK as my Argentine wife wanted to make sure her mother was okay. She's the only child. My wife loved living in Scotland, her English was excellent which helped a lot and she found a job she really liked.
However, as the years went by and her mother got older my wife could see her mum was struggling to look after the business side of things. So we had a chat and decided we had no choice but to come and live here permanently. Fortunately, we already had our own house here so it was a relatively straight forward process. We both gave up our jobs, shipped all our possessions and left the UK.
I already loved it here and had made friends so I settled no problem. Although I have to admit I do detest the hot summer weather and still struggle with the language.
Her mum passed away early last year so we've started talking about moving back to Scotland or Spain. A lot will depend on what happens here. If the country allows itself to mature and get back into the first world then we might stay. If it slips back into greed and corruption then we'll definitely leave.

I'm amazed by the difference in COL of being single vs having a wife and kids, not just here in BA but anywhere. Calculating the costs in both time and money, I question whether it's worth it to start a family unless you're young. YMMV

I havent a clue how much it costs to live comfortably in the US but I suspect she's right. What worries me is whether you'll be able to adapt to living here. We used to visit once or twice year from the UK as my Argentine wife wanted to make sure her mother was okay. She's the only child. My wife loved living in Scotland, her English was excellent which helped a lot and she found a job she really liked.
However, as the years went by and her mother got older my wife could see her mum was struggling to look after the business side of things. So we had a chat and decided we had no choice but to come and live here permanently. Fortunately, we already had our own house here so it was a relatively straight forward process. We both gave up our jobs, shipped all our possessions and left the UK.
I already loved it here and had made friends so I settled no problem. Although I have to admit I do detest the hot summer weather and still struggle with the language.
Her mum passed away early last year so we've started talking about moving back to Scotland or Spain. A lot will depend on what happens here. If the country allows itself to mature and get back into the first world then we might stay. If it slips back into greed and corruption then we'll definitely leave.
I'm really to hear about the loss of your mother-in-law. That must have been really tough on your wife. Locals are very close with their families. Much more so it seems to be vs. their American counterparts. I realize this post is many years old. My staff is archiving all my old posts from the old forum. But I still think it's educational to see what information was shared years ago and compare and contrast to today. Many of the same principles will apply.

I think some things and parts of living in a first-world country will always be missed. Just the speed and efficiency of things. The order and the non-chaos of daily life. Sometimes in Latin America things are really a struggle.

I'm amazed by the difference in COL of being single vs having a wife and kids, not just here in BA but anywhere. Calculating the costs in both time and money, I question whether it's worth it to start a family unless you're young. YMMV
Definitely having kids costs a LOT of money. Especially in the USA. Especially if the kids are active and in sports and activities. It all adds up. My kids are in swimming, tennis, art classes, and many other things. Each of these classes is very expensive. Just in these extra-curricular activities it can be a few thousand dollars a month when you add it all up depending on how active they are. Not to mention, food, clothing, etc.

It's something that you really have to factor in. Many of my friends don't have kids for that reason. It's a huge responsibility.

I'm really to hear about the loss of your mother-in-law. That must have been really tough on your wife. Locals are very close with their families. Much more so it seems to be vs. their American counterparts. I realize this post is many years old.
It was a strange relationship as her mother could be pretty domineering at times. She was a very highly respected Notary which she allowed to let go to her head at times. I got on fine with her though. I wouldn't say they were particularly close but when dementia set in during her last years my wife made sure she got all the support she needed.

It was a strange relationship as her mother could be pretty domineering at times. She was a very highly respected Notary which she allowed to let go to her head at times. I got on fine with her though. I wouldn't say they were particularly close but when dementia set in during her last years my wife made sure she got all the support she needed.
Your wife sounds like a great daughter! That's awesome to hear her mom was an Escribana. The most most important/prestigous jobs in Argentina I always say are an Escribano and/or accountant. Can't live without either.

That's awesome you can get your budget down so low. The biggest difference I see from reading your post and all the people that I know there is no matter how bad things get it seems like they are always eating out. Medialunas in the morning, coffees throughout the day, and dinner out quite a bit. I'm always surprised how often most of them eat out no matter how bad they seem to be doing financially.

For my monthly cost of living spreadsheet I include all of these things. Many people forget to include everything and think they are spending less than they are because they don't include everything.

Monthly Cost of Living

-Mortgage or Rent (if you don't own outright)
- Property taxes if you own
-Phone (Land line and Cell phone)
- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc)
- HOA fees/expensas each month
- Maintenance and repairs (if you own a property)
- Car payments
- Car insurance
- Auto Fuel each month for each car
- Registration fees for your car each year
- Maintenance on your car to include car washes and oil changes
-Parking (various times when you're out and about plus if you don't have a garage in your apartment and have to rent one)
- Home/rental insurance for your property
- Life insurance
- Health insurance premiums
- Dental insurance premiums
- Medical/Dental expenses (what insurance won't cover)
- Prescription medications
- School expenses for kids (tuition, stuff for school, ballet classes, etc)
- Babysitter expenses
- Annual fee for Credit Cards
- Clothes for kids and yourself
- Toys for kids
- Dry Cleaning
- Health club / gym
- Taxi/Uber fares which are inevitable.
- Beauty (hair salon for hair cuts, color, nails, make up, etc)
- Extracurricular activities dues/fees
- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, Zoo, concerts, sporting events, etc --)
- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions
- Dining out at restaurants
- Grocery budget
- Retirement savings contributions
- Kids college fund savings contributions
- Charity/donations
- Travel / vacation expenses
- Federal/State/local income taxes
- Any revolving debt payments you might have
- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc)
- Emergency savings fund for any major health issues
- Non reimbursed office/work expenses and supplies

Many people if they are living alone and own their own place and don't have any kids can get away with not spending a lot. But the wild card for me is having several kids. Kids aren't cheap.
This looks like an old thread but so good. Thank you for being so detailed in everything one should add in to their budget. I think having children in BA would add up! Having kids anywhere would add up but in BA I would think just tuition in a nice school would add up!

This is a great point. It is night and day with being single and having a spouse with kids to think about. Most of my friends are on the opposite side of your thinking @FuturoBA. They are having them later in life as they can't afford them until later when they are more established.

Great post. I was just going to ask what the most recent numbers are. I see many posts about increased costs now in Argentina. I have the chance to get transferred to Argentina with my company. What is a decent amount for someone married with 2 older kids? My kids will graduate high school this year but they are taking a gap year to travel around and this might be a good opportunity. Housing prices look all over the place but assuming apartment is covered, how much more would be needed to live a high end lifestyle there now?

Great post. I was just going to ask what the most recent numbers are. I see many posts about increased costs now in Argentina. I have the chance to get transferred to Argentina with my company. What is a decent amount for someone married with 2 older kids? My kids will graduate high school this year but they are taking a gap year to travel around and this might be a good opportunity. Housing prices look all over the place but assuming apartment is covered, how much more would be needed to live a high end lifestyle there now?
As I mention in my other post. I would wait to move here until you see what happen. Poverty at all time high in Argentina. All the people are hungry and more protests. If things keep up safety will decrease. Already we see crime up. Our crazy President Milei say he will fire 70,000 more public workers soon. This will make things worse!

Back