Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Need a US Bank that is not painful to use from Argentina

Fooze

I was hoping some of the US expats might be able to recommend a bank that lets you conduct your business without making you jump through 1000 hoops for everything you do.

I've been a customer of Wells Fargo for quite some time and everything I try to do is beyond ridiculously difficult. Any movement in the US or out they want to send me SMS codes but will not accept my Arg phone number. When they want to verify something over the phone, it always turns into a nightmare trying to prove my identify and explain to them that I can't just go walk into a branch somewhere because I'm outside the country. I recently got locked out of my account completely and was told they wouldn't restore access until I appeared in person at my "local branch". Apparently, I tried to spend too much of my own money at one time. I was luckily able to get things restored through a family member in the US, but it was a two-day fight with 3 or 4 bank reps to do it.

I don't get back to the US very often, so I would really like to be able to just log into my online banking and occasionally move some money from one account to another or make a payment without feeling like I'm going to be strip searched.

What banks do you all use?

I was hoping some of the US expats might be able to recommend a bank that lets you conduct your business without making you jump through 1000 hoops for everything you do.

I've been a customer of Wells Fargo for quite some time and everything I try to do is beyond ridiculously difficult. Any movement in the US or out they want to send me SMS codes but will not accept my Arg phone number. When they want to verify something over the phone, it always turns into a nightmare trying to prove my identify and explain to them that I can't just go walk into a branch somewhere because I'm outside the country. I recently got locked out of my account completely and was told they wouldn't restore access until I appeared in person at my "local branch". Apparently, I tried to spend too much of my own money at one time. I was luckily able to get things restored through a family member in the US, but it was a two-day fight with 3 or 4 bank reps to do it.

I don't get back to the US very often, so I would really like to be able to just log into my online banking and occasionally move some money from one account to another or make a payment without feeling like I'm going to be strip searched.

What banks do you all use?
Wells Fargo sucks. I bank with them too as well as all the other major USA Banks but get a Charles Schwab account.

https://www.schwab.com/checking. Hands down the BEST bank account for an Ex-Pat. Unlimited ATM fee rebates. That's my daily card I use when I travel around the world. I'm on the road over 100+ days a year and this is perfect. They always rebate.

I still have my TMobile phone service which is perfect. FREE unlimited data in almost every single country I travel to. I also use Skype, Google Fi, Google Voice as well. But you should be good with those. I haven't had any issues banking with Charles Schwab account and Tmobile which is fabulous. I'll never give my TMobile account.

Anyone has XP with ExpressVPN to log into a US server with the Arg cell phone and download say the WU app, that has lower rates? Or open a US Google account to access US Play Store and download a bank app?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wells Fargo sucks. I bank with them too as well as all the other major USA Banks but get a Charles Schwab account.

https://www.schwab.com/checking. Hands down the BEST bank account for an Ex-Pat. Unlimited ATM fee rebates. That's my daily card I use when I travel around the world. I'm on the road over 100+ days a year and this is perfect. They always rebate.

I still have my TMobile phone service which is perfect. FREE unlimited data in almost every single country I travel to. I also use Skype, Google Fi, Google Voice as well. But you should be good with those. I haven't had any issues banking with Charles Schwab account and Tmobile which is fabulous. I'll never give my TMobile account.
I was reading that Schwab is very good for international use. I'll have to see what they require to open an account. I want to get all my money out of Wells Fargo.

I did find a VOIP number that I was able to use to receive texts from Chase, where I have a single credit card account. Hopefully, the same will work with Schwab. Since having so much trouble with WF, I'm thinking maybe I don't want to put everything in one place and open one account with Chase and one with Schwab.

Anyone has XP with ExpressVPN to log into a US server with the Arg cell phone and download say the WU app, that has lower rates? Or open a US Google account to access US Play Store and download a bank app?
Also someone mentioned that one can instruct the bank to send the 2stepverification code to an email instead of sending it to a cell phone.

Also someone mentioned that one can instruct the bank to send the 2stepverification code to an email instead of sending it to a cell phone.
My Chase credit card, and I think Citibank cards will send 2FA via email. I do not have any bank checking/savings accounts that will do this.

I have opened new google accounts, and changed my international location of google accounts while using a USA VPN server to download from the USA play store. Though I do not find it necessary to spoof IP location with the VPN to simply download an app as long as the play store (or Apple Store from iPad) account is a USA based account.

I always use the WU app, downloaded USA google play store or Apple USA store with have VPN enabled. Not sure if getting a better rate.

No experience with expressVPN. I build and destroy my own VPN servers using Algo as often as needed in a few minutes. I host them on AWS and Digital Ocean droplets. AWS has a free 1 year trial, and DO has 2 month free. Algo is easy to install on your computer to be able to do the same. Possible from Windows if you already have Windows Subsystem for Linux, though might be quicker to deploy it from from Google Cloud Shell. I only use the WireGuard VPN protocol, but IPsec is an option. https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

Finally running Tailscale on family members in USA, and turning on as an exit node when needed is the most modern and simple way to truly spoof your location. Based on WireGuard. https://tailscale.com/kb/1103/exit-nodes/

I've tried that. Wells Fargo won't let me validate to an email address. I know it did at one point, but they seem to have removed that option.

I've tried that. Wells Fargo won't let me validate to an email address. I know it did at one point, but they seem to have removed that option.
Can you sign up for an e-SIM with Google Fi? I got all my friends in Buenos Aires a SIM card with Google Fi and they love it. They ALL have USA Banks including at Wells Fargo and Bank of America and it works perfectly. Try Google Fi. I believe if you have an iPhone you should be able to get an e-SIM so don't have to hassle with getting the SIM. I usually get it for them, ship to my USA home and then Fed Ex it down there or bring when they come. They are ALL using that method for 2FA.

I just applied for an account with Charles Schwab which was incredibly (and surprisingly) easy. I was astonished that it would call my Argentina cell phone to give me security codes. It doesn't seem to approve automatically, but it didn't ask me for anything more than my address, SS number, and phone number. Didn't have to send any documents.

I just applied for an account with Charles Schwab which was incredibly (and surprisingly) easy. I was astonished that it would call my Argentina cell phone to give me security codes. It doesn't seem to approve automatically, but it didn't ask me for anything more than my address, SS number, and phone number. Didn't have to send any documents.
Yes, I'm telling you they are the BEST!!!! You'd have to be a moron not to use them as an Ex-Pat. You are welcome. :)

Can you sign up for an e-SIM with Google Fi? I got all my friends in Buenos Aires a SIM card with Google Fi and they love it. They ALL have USA Banks including at Wells Fargo and Bank of America and it works perfectly. Try Google Fi. I believe if you have an iPhone you should be able to get an e-SIM so don't have to hassle with getting the SIM. I usually get it for them, ship to my USA home and then Fed Ex it down there or bring when they come. They are ALL using that method for 2FA.
Yes, Google Fi is the best for traveling outside USA. Especially if one goal is to get 2FA codes. Though the Google Fi physical SIM must be first enabled while near a USA tower, from any old borrowed phone then later inserted into your phone in Argentina. Before getting on plane or shipping from US. Google Fi ESim is not able to be activated from Argentina or anywhere away from a USA Tower.

Yes, Google Fi is the best for traveling outside USA. Especially if one goal is to get 2FA codes. Though the Google Fi physical SIM must be first enabled while near a USA tower, from any old borrowed phone then later inserted into your phone in Argentina. Before getting on plane or shipping from US. Google Fi ESim is not able to be activated from Argentina or anywhere away from a USA Tower.
Ah ok good to know. I called in once and they told me that my friend that already had the Google SIM could change over to an e-SIM without being in the USA but it might be because he already had the actual SIM.

Thanks for that helpful info. Yes, for my friend's that I send the Google Fi SIM, I activate it here in the USA and then I fed ex down to them. So the OP could maybe send one to his friend/family member's house and then they can activate and fed ex or DHL it down to him. ALL my local friends rave by it and works well.

Also, I will mention that Charles Schwab uses Zelle which works great too. It's just about the perfect account for me. A dream come true. (No, I don't work for Charles Schwab...ha, ha). Also, if you have a certain amount in your account, you don't even have to pay for any wire transfers. I don't pay for any outgoing wire transfers either and you can do it all ONLINE without having to call or go into branch.

no idea @IrishLad but if you check some websites like NerdWallet you might be able to see some reviews from other folks from your area.

and related to banks, before i make a new thread unnecessarily, does anyone know of the current ATMs that distribute USD in BsAs?

i can confirm that there is one (1) ATM at the Santander Río that gives USD, because i saw it give $100 USD bills (big face, not "cara chica" unwanted bills) at: Av. Corrientes 4626, C1195AAS CABA, Argentina

that being said, i tried a Schwab debit card today and when i put it in the ATM designated for USD, it only gave me the option for Pesos/ARS (options for 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000, etc.). this is a bit worrisome, because Schwab is the gold standard for ATM/debit cards, but Santander didn't seem to recognize it as something that could get Dollars. i successfully took out 39000 Pesos, with around a $5 USD fee (will be refunded), but no success with USD (and a local was even willing to try to press buttons for me, to help. i watched him take out USD successfully at the same machine).

information as of 02Dec2023, hopefully it helps someone! anyone who has taken out USD this week or last month with a Schwab debit card, please comment here :)

no idea @IrishLad but if you check some websites like NerdWallet you might be able to see some reviews from other folks from your area.

and related to banks, before i make a new thread unnecessarily, does anyone know of the current ATMs that distribute USD in BsAs?

i can confirm that there is one (1) ATM at the Santander Río that gives USD, because i saw it give $100 USD bills (big face, not "cara chica" unwanted bills) at: Av. Corrientes 4626, C1195AAS CABA, Argentina

that being said, i tried a Schwab debit card today and when i put it in the ATM designated for USD, it only gave me the option for Pesos/ARS (options for 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000, etc.). this is a bit worrisome, because Schwab is the gold standard for ATM/debit cards, but Santander didn't seem to recognize it as something that could get Dollars. i successfully took out 39000 Pesos, with around a $5 USD fee (will be refunded), but no success with USD (and a local was even willing to try to press buttons for me, to help. i watched him take out USD successfully at the same machine).

information as of 02Dec2023, hopefully it helps someone! anyone who has taken out USD this week or last month with a Schwab debit card, please comment here :)
I've never heard of any bank in the last couple years that gave out US $100 bills. I'm a bit confused. Did you say that you withdrew from it @StatusNomadicus ? When you say you "can confirm" what does that mean? You used it or saw someone else withdrawing?

Yep, a dozen or so ATMs in BsAs dispense the good "big face" $100 USD bills :) this might be the only piece of Argentina info in my life that i can offer you, then, @earlyretirement ahahahah

i personally watched a local guy take out several $100 bills from an ATM on Corrientes. here is a Santander Rio bank link to find ATMs:

"Dirección: AV.CORRIENTES 4618, Almagro, Cdad Bs As, Argentina - Red: Entidad - Bancaria: BANCO SANTANDER - Acreditacion al instante: No - Expende dolares: Si - Audiovisual: No" (note that this address is different by a few numbers than the one i posted, which was from a Santander website spreadsheet)

here's a website with a guide on how to do it with a smartphone, using your Location Services: https://tiempofinanciero.com.ar/bancos/se-puede-retirar-dolares-por-cajero-santander-rio/

here's the official guide from Santander, translated poorly by me as "At which ATMs can I withdraw Dollars?" https://ayuda.santander.com.ar/BJ9DRDIBMS-1/article/SS5QNT6WXA-que-cajeros-puedo-extraer-dolares/

(choose "Expende dólares")
as of 02Dec2023, i can personally confirm i witnessed a local take out USD at an ATM in Villa Crespo/Almagro at Santander (those types of buildings where there are ~10 ATMs inside, but nothing else, and a homeless guy camping-out inside). the entrance shows "24H" and looks like this https://maps.app.goo.gl/fArk6uFaH6dbpPT17

the ATMs have either a red banner on top, showing "Exclusivo Clientes" (Schwab cards won't work on those; only Santander cards) or there are a smaller number (3, in the Corrientes street case) that have a gray banner with Clients and Non-Clients. one of those will have a sticker on the lower section saying "Dólares"

what i can't confirm is how the hell to get my Schwab debit card to work! or if it's even possible. can anyone else here with a Schwab account try it, at one of the USD locations? i actually can't find a photo of the placard to show you guys the "Dispenses Dollars" sign (in Spanish, but clearly states it gives USD, something like 'entrega dólares'). hope this helps someone, and gets me a location where i can get some USD :p

Yep, a dozen or so ATMs in BsAs dispense the good "big face" $100 USD bills :) this might be the only piece of Argentina info in my life that i can offer you, then, @earlyretirement ahahahah

i personally watched a local guy take out several $100 bills from an ATM on Corrientes. here is a Santander Rio bank link to find ATMs:

"Dirección: AV.CORRIENTES 4618, Almagro, Cdad Bs As, Argentina - Red: Entidad - Bancaria: BANCO SANTANDER - Acreditacion al instante: No - Expende dolares: Si - Audiovisual: No" (note that this address is different by a few numbers than the one i posted, which was from a Santander website spreadsheet)

here's a website with a guide on how to do it with a smartphone, using your Location Services: https://tiempofinanciero.com.ar/bancos/se-puede-retirar-dolares-por-cajero-santander-rio/

here's the official guide from Santander, translated poorly by me as "At which ATMs can I withdraw Dollars?" https://ayuda.santander.com.ar/BJ9DRDIBMS-1/article/SS5QNT6WXA-que-cajeros-puedo-extraer-dolares/

(choose "Expende dólares")
as of 02Dec2023, i can personally confirm i witnessed a local take out USD at an ATM in Villa Crespo/Almagro at Santander (those types of buildings where there are ~10 ATMs inside, but nothing else, and a homeless guy camping-out inside). the entrance shows "24H" and looks like this https://maps.app.goo.gl/fArk6uFaH6dbpPT17

the ATMs have either a red banner on top, showing "Exclusivo Clientes" (Schwab cards won't work on those; only Santander cards) or there are a smaller number (3, in the Corrientes street case) that have a gray banner with Clients and Non-Clients. one of those will have a sticker on the lower section saying "Dólares"

what i can't confirm is how the hell to get my Schwab debit card to work! or if it's even possible. can anyone else here with a Schwab account try it, at one of the USD locations? i actually can't find a photo of the placard to show you guys the "Dispenses Dollars" sign (in Spanish, but clearly states it gives USD, something like 'entrega dólares'). hope this helps someone, and gets me a location where i can get some USD :p
Ah you can't use your card in those machines. These are for locals that have a US dollar account with that bank. I used to have one at HSBC for many years but I didn't think that they still were using these US dollar ATM machines. I thought that people were smart enough to shut down their US dollar accounts.

My USD account was closed down at HSBC during COVID and it was a pain as I had to come personally and get the $20,000 I had left in it. With COVID, and the lockdown, there was no way I was going to Argentina and risk getting trapped there so I didn't go for a few years.

When I finally went there. they tried to say that my funds vanished. They asked me for proof that I had funds there. I showed them my old bank statements. I was there for 2 hours. They wouldn't give me back my funds. Finally I told them I was coming back with my lawyer and the La Nación and TV news crew and they can investigate. They finally gave me my funds and I closed down my account.

@StatusNomadicus it's impossible for you to get USD at those machines. I thought you meant random ATM machines but those machines are for customers INSIDE Argentina that have USD accounts. Locals have peso accounts and USD accounts too so those machines are only for people that specifically have USD accounts.

Ah you can't use your card in those machines.
just saw this. i can use my US card at any of the machines, but they refuse to give USD to me, whereas at that Almagro bank i personally watched a local (Argentine, but he said he's lived abroad) take out $100 USD bills with his ATM card. when i put mine in, the same option for USD was gone, but i was able to successfully withdraw Pesos. he was stumped. update also:

i walked by an ICBC (int'l bank of china) on Las Heras and one of the machines also showed "USD Available" but when i tried to use it, it said "not enough cash" or something. i was able to choose the other option of Pesos, and it worked fine. see attached photo of the one ATM out of 4 that had that sticker.

so, having a local account in USD might not be a bad idea, now with Milei. you could avoid Western Union fees and whatnot, not have to travel with USD, and avoid cuevas going from Pesos->Dollars if you need USD

another update on @TheJerzWay's claims on Twitter/X that the "Retirar Efectivo" works with USA debit/credit cards and ApplePay:

(still waiting to hear from him. he is the only one i've met or talked to that has claimed Cash-Back is possible with his USA debit card. so far, i've tried 6 cards, half debit and half credit, MasterCard and Visa, 4 different banks, ApplePay and physical card, and no store in CABA will give cash-back (signs still say 70,000 Pesos available for Retirar Efectivo at Jumbo).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    566.8 KB · Views: 1
Back