Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Need an upscale neighborhood to stay w/kids for month

luluv

I need to find somewhere to stay for a month with 2 children. We want to be in the best part of town. We're looking for shopping, eating, and strolling around. I need to find an area where we will feel safe. I hear the whole city is beautiful but we need to narrow it down. We are going to rent an apartment. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Recoleta, Belgrano R, Palermo chico and Puerto Madero are the most upscale nabes in the city. Also Las Canitas.

Thank you so much! Regarding shopping, if my girls and I are in the mood for an extensive shopping spree, we love exploring flea markets and consignment shops. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for such places?

Belgrano R is a fantastic area, though it's a bit distant. Recoleta is indeed upscale but can be a tad touristy. I recommend checking out Palermo or Palermo Chico. I've been staying in Palermo for three months, and it's been wonderful! It's very family-friendly with numerous shops, restaurants, and grocery stores. It's also close to parks and the Ecoparque, and just a 15-minute walk from Palermo Viejo, where you'll discover quirky and unique shops.

Palermo not only provides a sense of security but also a warm and welcoming atmosphere. When dining out, the waitstaff makes an extra effort to interact with children, adding a friendly touch. As an American, mentioning my origin often leads to locals practicing English, asking about the U.S., or sharing stories about their relatives in the states.

Back