Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy Omnibus law: imported products may be entered for personal use without paying taxes - infobae

PerryP

Interesting news​

Omnibus law: imported products may be entered for personal use without paying taxes - Infobae​

1703773144241.png

Source:

December 27, 2023

The Government project establishes the elimination of the customs tax of 50% of the value of the article, as long as its entry into the country does not have commercial purposes.

1703773523249.png

Products that enter the country without commercial purposes will not pay taxes (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

Among many other changes, the omnibus bill sent by the Executive Branch modifies the conditions to bring imported products when entering the country. Based on these changes, no tax will be paid for bringing in items when returning from a trip as long as they are for personal use and their importation is not for commercial purposes, regardless of their price.

The proposal that Congress will analyze, in this way, proposes eliminating the current system in which there is a franchise of USD 500 dollars for enter products and, above that amount, you must pay “a single and unified tax of fifty percent (50%) of their customs value,” according to the rule that the project seeks to repeal.

If the project comes into effect, no tax will be paid. “The goods covered by the baggage regime, which are imported for consumption without commercial purposes, outside the exemptions granted by Decree No. 2130/91 or in accordance with the provisions of its article 10, they will not be taxed by any tax”, says one of its articles.

The taxpayer Sebastián Domínguez explained to Infobae what they would be the changes to apply: “Today, in the current situation, a traveler can come from abroad and bring a phone and a notebook, and pay nothing. And then he can also bring clothes, non-commercial objects for personal use; He doesn't pay anything either. If in addition to the phone and notebook, for example, he brings a PlayStation – always without commercial purposes – he has a deductible of $500 by air or sea. So, if the product exceeds that franchise, and costs $600, you must pay 50% tax on the difference between the amount and $500. In the example, 50% on 100 dollars, and to the official dollar.”

“If you enter a $600 PlayStation plus a $400 Apple Watch, for example, it adds up to USD 1,000 minus USD 500. On the USD 500 that exceeds, you pay 50%. If the bill that has just been sent to Congress is approved, this $500 deductible will not exist. Directly, the traveler may bring everything he wants for personal use without an excess limit. You will not have to pay that 50% on the excess of $500 when traveling by air or sea. For land or river trips, the franchise is currently $300,” he added.

1703773567857.png

https://www.infobae.com/economia/20...economicas-que-el-gobierno-envio-al-congreso/

For this reason, the expert explained, if this new regime is approved, this deductible of USD 500 would no longer make sense, so the AFIP should also repeal the resolution that created it.

The project also promotes simplification for travelers returning to Argentina: eliminates the procedure of filling out a form in which The entered articles are declared and their presentation to Customs officials.

“To enter products through the baggage regime, it will not be necessary to complete any form. In the event that the quantity of the merchandise to be imported suggests commercial purposes, the GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF CUSTOMS will follow the procedures contemplated in current regulations,” the initiative establishes in another of its articles.

A 1991 decree establishes that the traveler must fill out a “declaration form” and in it he must record very precisely all the merchandise he brings, “indicating species, nature, quality, quantity and value, and, where appropriate, all the data that contribute to their precise individualization and that allow the fungibility of the effects to be neutralized in order to achieve rapid verification and facilitate subsequent controls on the spot to prove their legitimate introduction into the country."

Two months ago, I wanted to import a car part. I couldn't find the replacement rear light for my car in Argentina and found it in Spain- It cost me 98 euros in Spain- the last quote I got in Argentina was 600 euros - but with no promises when they would deliver.

I happened to be in Spain on business and a few days later I arrived in EZE - I went through the red channel in Ezeiza and told the Customs official what I wanted to do - declare my car part and pay my tax , like a good citizen - Invoice in hand - where do I pay my 50% tax ?

The guy called me over, to the side of the line.- What you are trying to do is illegal - this is an industrial importation and you can't do it - The thing is I can't even charge you if I wanted to because the system doesn't allow me to do this. I offered a donation for the Customs Officials Xmas `party and he declined.

He said, just pick up your bags and walk through, next time send the part via DHL.

IT'S A CRAZY WORLD.....

Two months ago, I wanted to import a car part. I couldn't find the replacement rear light for my car in Argentina and found it in Spain- It cost me 98 euros in Spain- the last quote I got in Argentina was 600 euros - but with no promises when they would deliver.

I happened to be in Spain on business and a few days later I arrived in EZE - I went through the red channel in Ezeiza and told the Customs official what I wanted to do - declare my car part and pay my tax , like a good citizen - Invoice in hand - where do I pay my 50% tax ?

The guy called me over, to the side of the line.- What you are trying to do is illegal - this is an industrial importation and you can't do it - The thing is I can't even charge you if I wanted to because the system doesn't allow me to do this. I offered a donation for the Customs Officials Xmas `party and he declined.

He said, just pick up your bags and walk through, next time send the part via DHL.

IT'S A CRAZY WORLD.....
Wow! This is a crazy story. I just did this a few months ago when I went down. My friend needed a boat part for his boat there. It wasn't that small of a piece and clearly mechanical but same type of thing. It was $900 USD and I had the receipt and just figured that I would pay 50% tax on it if they said anything. I tried to sneak it through but it was a big metallic piece. I got out the invoice and the customs official told me that I couldn't do that and there was a lot of paperwork, blah blah blah.

I just asked him if I could "expedite" the paperwork or have him fill it out and I would pay the 50% tax to him in cash and he could sort it out. I didn't talk about paying a bribe or anything. When he said "a lot of paperwork" I just asked if he can legally do all the paperwork. I had a copy of the receipt to give to him. And I said I researched and I believed the tax was around 50%. I asked him and he didn't honestly know what to tell me.

I just told him I preferred to do it legally and I was in a hurry and I would pay the $450 USD to him and he can handle whatever the paperwork he needed. He quickly agreed!

It's funny as when I was developing many properties and projects I NEVER paid any bribe to anyone that asked. My projects always probably took longer never paying a bribe but if I could have gone back maybe I would have. I just didn't want to take it in the ass every time I did a new project so I always refused. Probably I would do the same thing and not start.

But I learned at EZE better to ask them to legally handle all the paperwork and give them the money. Ha. My friend said the part was something like $7,500 USD in Argentina! He said the best $450 USD he ever spent.

IT'S A CRAZY WORLD.....
Unbelievable they didn't accept it. That has to be a rarity. I have brought in many laptops and electronics over the years. Each time I go to NYC or Miami I always am the mule for all my Porteño friends that know I'm coming back. I always have several iPads, sometimes iPhones and sometimes laptops. The iPhones I take out of the box and just carry in my jacket pocket so it doesn't go through the scanner. My record is bringing 9 iPhones once. It more than paid for my trip to the USA.

Yes this is great they want to change this. I am not sure they hassle Americans much vs. locals. I think it's locals as they hassle my Argentine friends when they are bringing stuff. Most do what @Wally says and just carry iPhones on them. I also bring down many iPhones for friends as they are so much more. My personal record is bringing 4 iPads. One time they asked me and I told them I am a consultant and have to use a separate one for each company. The customs guy just laughed at me and told me to go through.

Typically if you show your USA passport and act like a dumb American there will let you go through..

I bring in many electronics all the time. I basically sell the iPhones here. Same with MacBooks. They get a high premium here. I have a guy that sells iPhones and I can make about $300 US dollars for each iPhone I bring in. Last time I brought in `12 iPhones and I had them all around my waist and pockets of a jacket. You just can't have them go through security detection.

One time when I didn't know I had 6 iPhones and the guy stopped me and said I had to pay. I just asked him how much it would be. I just gave the money to him. He said he would pay it for me. Yeah right!

People talk about the corruption but it sometimes works in my favor. I never have received a speeding ticket or one time I got caught driving drunk. I was only 2 blocks from my apartment. They let me go when I paid them about $100 US. But they followed me home to make sure I wasn't lying I was only 2 blocks away. That would never happen in America.

Yes this is great they want to change this. I am not sure they hassle Americans much vs. locals. I think it's locals as they hassle my Argentine friends when they are bringing stuff. Most do what @Wally says and just carry iPhones on them. I also bring down many iPhones for friends as they are so much more. My personal record is bringing 4 iPads. One time they asked me and I told them I am a consultant and have to use a separate one for each company. The customs guy just laughed at me and told me to go through.

Typically if you show your USA passport and act like a dumb American there will let you go through..
This is good advice! Although I have had a DNI for many years and married to a local, I usually bring in a lot of stuff and I do as @Betsy Ross said and I act like a dumb American. I show my passport and although I am fluent just say, "no hablo Español" in the world accent possible. They usually just wave me through disgusted.

Unbelievable they didn't accept it. That has to be a rarity. I have brought in many laptops and electronics over the years. Each time I go to NYC or Miami I always am the mule for all my Porteño friends that know I'm coming back. I always have several iPads, sometimes iPhones and sometimes laptops. The iPhones I take out of the box and just carry in my jacket pocket so it doesn't go through the scanner. My record is bringing 9 iPhones once. It more than paid for my trip to the USA.
You remind me of an acquaintance one of the wife's cousins - a young guy, thought he knew everything - brought in 12 i-phones in his jacket.

But he brought the 12 empty boxes in his big suitcase - caught on the x-ray - , he was forced to undress in the side room and they confiscated the lot!

This is good advice! Although I have had a DNI for many years and married to a local, I usually bring in a lot of stuff and I do as @Betsy Ross said and I act like a dumb American. I show my passport and although I am fluent just say, "no hablo Español" in the world accent possible. They usually just wave me through disgusted.
@Howard Stern, you're totally right ! I have my GB passport in my hand almost all the time .

Except for the day of the car part, when I was in a pretty cool Calvin Klein Suit and shirt and tie - A handsome bastard , although I say it myself, I actually thought the Customs official thought i was a plain clothes inspector....

You remind me of an acquaintance one of the wife's cousins - a young guy, thought he knew everything - brought in 12 i-phones in his jacket.

But he brought the 12 empty boxes in his big suitcase - caught on the x-ray - , he was forced to undress in the side room and they confiscated the lot!
Oh no!! Wow, I didn't think there was anything in the boxes but that is a good point! I guess the customs are spotting that! I have never had any issues with the empty boxes. But maybe they put more emphasis when locals are going through. I'm clearly a gringo! I don't know if that matters or not. I also play the dumb gringo when going through and loudly say, "HOLA, como esters Chicos". LOL. They are usually laughing at me and maybe aren't paying attention to the X-ray but now you will make me nervous bringing through so many iPhones. I can sell them for much more with the box but now I'm going to be nervous!

Did he have to just pay the import taxes on all of them? Or was there an additional penalty?

Oh no!! Wow, I didn't think there was anything in the boxes but that is a good point! I guess the customs are spotting that! I have never had any issues with the empty boxes. But maybe they put more emphasis when locals are going through. I'm clearly a gringo! I don't know if that matters or not. I also play the dumb gringo when going through and loudly say, "HOLA, como esters Chicos". LOL. They are usually laughing at me and maybe aren't paying attention to the X-ray but now you will make me nervous bringing through so many iPhones. I can sell them for much more with the box but now I'm going to be nervous!

Did he have to just pay the import taxes on all of them? Or was there an additional penalty?
They were confiscated. bringing 12 in is not a problem except when you try and hide them.

The crime is hiding and not declaring.

When they found the empty boxes he got the chance to declare what he had and he insisted he had nothing .

Its always best to play the stupid foreigner . And also disrupt their train of thought- they are looking more for Argentines in any case .

With the new law allowing one or two items , i wonder what will happen in practice .

They will still try and stop people coming in with commercial benefit in mind.

They were confiscated. bringing 12 in is not a problem except when you try and hide them.

The crime is hiding and not declaring.

When they found the empty boxes he got the chance to declare what he had and he insisted he had nothing .

Its always best to play the stupid foreigner . And also disrupt their train of thought- they are looking more for Argentines in any case .

With the new law allowing one or two items , i wonder what will happen in practice .

They will still try and stop people coming in with commercial benefit in mind.
Thank you SO much @GlasgowJohn for sharing your story! That is an eye opener for me. I routinely bring in 7-10 iPhones every time I come into EZE which is at least 2 times a year. I never thought of the empty boxes as a threat but I guess the lesson learned is if they ask about the boxes, I will play dumb and tell them that I forgot I had 10 iPhones in my jacket! LOL. I will tell them I was setting the time for Buenos Aires time on the plane!

I imagine you are right that they will still look for people trying to do what I'm doing and bring them in to sell. Many times I am not selling them. I just have so many friends that always ask me to bring them things. Most like iPhones and as you know if you're a local impossible to get at a reasonable price. Your posts are very helpful. Happy New Year.

Thank you SO much @GlasgowJohn for sharing your story! That is an eye opener for me. I routinely bring in 7-10 iPhones every time I come into EZE which is at least 2 times a year. I never thought of the empty boxes as a threat but I guess the lesson learned is if they ask about the boxes, I will play dumb and tell them that I forgot I had 10 iPhones in my jacket! LOL. I will tell them I was setting the time for Buenos Aires time on the plane!

I imagine you are right that they will still look for people trying to do what I'm doing and bring them in to sell. Many times I am not selling them. I just have so many friends that always ask me to bring them things. Most like iPhones and as you know if you're a local impossible to get at a reasonable price. Your posts are very helpful. Happy New Year.
@Wally , dont let your Argentine based friends take advantage . think seriopusly about the boxes.

I have a self imposed maximum of 4 units per trip . I go through a few times per month and I am on nodding terms with some of the guys....

@Wally , dont let your Argentine based friends take advantage . think seriopusly about the boxes.

I have a self imposed maximum of 4 units per trip . I go through a few times per month and I am on nodding terms with some of the guys....
You are totally right. I don't think people really need the boxes but I think some of my friends sell these on Mercado Libre and having the boxes gives them assurance. I tell them I can show them the receipt so they have it for warranty purposes. I probably overdo it with 7-`10 but I figured (maybe incorrectly so) that I could just declare them if they say anything. I figure if my suitcase makes it through undetected I am in the clear.

Funny you mention about the nodding terms with the guys. I used to come in very frequently before I retired. And I would often times see the same customs crew. I would go to Dallas routinely for work. I would load up on See's Candy which you can't get here. I would often times bring them See's Lollipops and they would love me. Now I don't come often enough but that distraction worked! They were always so happy to see me. I would do the same thing on flights with flight attendants and pilots. Not to get anything out of it but I genuinely liked seeing the same people on business trips.

Wow! Funny as I am heading back next week but coming back in March or April and I already have a few friends I met that asked me if I can bring an iPhone for them. They offered to pay a few hundred dollars extra but I will just buy them. They are giving me the cash and I'm more than happy to get the frequent flyer points! I'm bringing 6 iPhones. I will ask them if I can throw away the box! Thanks for the heads up @GlasgowJohn!

Back