Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Pizza Restaurants in Buenos Aires - What are some of your favorite pizza places in Buenos Aires, Argentina?

Does anyone know if they have any Vegan Pizzerias in Buenos Aires that make vegan pizzas? Thanks in advance!
If you like a vegan pizza try Pizza Vegana. They have several locations around the city. This one is in Belgrano.

maps.app.goo.gl

Pizza Vegana Belgrano / Núñez · Iberá 2802, C1429 CABA, Argentinien

★★★★☆ · Pizzeria
maps.app.goo.gl
maps.app.goo.gl

Call me crazy but I am not a big fan of Buenos Aires pizza. I don't really like it. Granted I haven't tried all of these places and maybe I will give it another try. The only place that I really go for pizza is Pioli near my apartment. They have been around forever which is a good sign in Buenos Aires. I have gone to the same location on Libertad for years and years.

I guess now it's a franchise. I didn't know that! Here is their website:

Thanks for posting this thread! I went to Piola recently and it was really fabulous. Loved it.

I absolutely love Siamo nel Forno! It's delicious. I love Neapolitan style pizza. I went to Italy many decades ago and they know really good pizza there and this reminded me of my trip to Italy. Really top notch!
Had pizza here and it's really good! Pizzas about 14,000 ($14 USD) each. Prices sure have gone up since last year.

I don't recommend two of the pizzerías listed in that article.

The four pizzas we had at Gordo Chanta (it's in Villa Crespo, not Chacarita, btw) back in February, came to the table with lots of burned and very bitter spots that we could not ignore, it was just a mess having to peel off the burned spots. The couple we were with, a recent acquaintance, felt terrible because they had chosen the place based on the reviews they read on Google. They wanted to send them back, but we didn't want to have to wait another hour. We did have to ask the waiter to change the wine because it tasted like vinegar. The pizza dough tasted okay but the center of the pizza was thin, soft and soggy, no crust under all that cheese, at all. The place was very tiny.

My husband and I went to Hell's Pizza, in The Imprenta (near Maure and Migueletes, northern Las Cañitas area) about a month ago. They try to make pizza NYC-style, but not quite there. We ordered a "half" of two slices mozzarella & pepperoni and two slices mushroom, onion & bacon. The pepperoni looked weird and tasted more like salami and the dough was tasteless, very hard, and pale. Slow and inattentive service.
I had a similar experience at Gordo Chanta in Villa Crespo. I saw it had good reviews but we also had overcooked and burned in some spots. We chalked it up to a one off but reading your post makes me realize probably spotty. Very similar with soggy crust in some spots.

I just don't think the pizza here is that great.

The four pizzas we had at Gordo Chanta (it's in Villa Crespo, not Chacarita, btw) back in February, came to the table with lots of burned and very bitter spots that we could not ignore, it was just a mess having to peel off the burned spots. The couple we were with, a recent acquaintance, felt terrible because they had chosen the place based on the reviews they read on Google. They wanted to send them back, but we didn't want to have to wait another hour. We did have to ask the waiter to change the wine because it tasted like vinegar. The pizza dough tasted okay but the center of the pizza was thin, soft and soggy, no crust under all that cheese, at all. The place was very tiny.

My husband and I went to Hell's Pizza, in The Imprenta (near Maure and Migueletes, northern Las Cañitas area) about a month ago. They try to make pizza NYC-style, but not quite there. We ordered a "half" of two slices mozzarella & pepperoni and two slices mushroom, onion & bacon. The pepperoni looked weird and tasted more like salami and the dough was tasteless, very hard, and pale. Slow and inattentive service.
Funny. My friend, Juan went there last week and had a very blah experience as well. He said he left a negative review on Google and it seems like lately there are many 2 star reviews.

Funny. My friend, Juan went there last week and had a very blah experience as well. He said he left a negative review on Google and it seems like lately there are many 2 star reviews.

I've never been but had it on my list. It sounds like people either love it ("best pizza in BA) or hate it (very mediocre). I will cross off my list.

Gordo Chanta is hit or miss. It used to be much better. But I think the quality has gone down. I like Hell's Pizza ok but I don't think any of these pizza places is anything like home.

I love watching Dave's Pizza reviews. He goes to a new place everyday and rates the pizza. I always laugh and wonder how poorly he would rank many of the pizza's in BA.

Chanta is slang from ciantapuf, a person who deceives, a cheat, in Italian slang. In Argentina, the spelling is phonetic and only the plural form is used. It became chantapufi and has a similar meaning. Ese tipo es un chanta, no le des bola. (That guy is not trustworthy, don't follow his advice or That guy doesn't know what he's talking about, don't listen to him.)

But, often times, friends call each other chanta. It's one of those words whose meaning changes a lot depending on context. For example, a brother may tell his sibling, Dale, che, no seas chanta que me prometiste que me ibas a prestar la campera. (C'mon, dude, don't be flaky, you promised you'd lend me your jacket.)

@Calgary Foodie, I asked our server about the name, he said that some years ago, at another location, a customer got mad at the owner and left the place shouting "gordo chanta!", as an insult. The owner laughed and replied, Thank you for giving me the name of my next pizzería.
That's so funny about the name! Thanks for sharing that @Sunny . It's funny!

Argentines just don't do good pizza. No matter how much they try. I saw this video and laughed! I guess they think since their steaks are good maybe that will enhance the pizza.

Post was deleted, but that is called 'Matambre a la pizza' which could also be called 'Matambre a la napolitana' since for example 'Milanesa a la napolitana' has cheese on top. To be fair meat and cheese exists in burgers so is not a rare thing.

Post was deleted, but that is called 'Matambre a la pizza' which could also be called 'Matambre a la napolitana' since for example 'Milanesa a la napolitana' has cheese on top. To be fair meat and cheese exists in burgers so is not a rare thing.
Couldn't see the video. Why do they use so much cheese on their pizzas here? They say immigrants are originally from Italy so they do it like that but I've been to Italy many times and the pizza is good there. Here not so much.

Couldn't see the video. Why do they use so much cheese on their pizzas here? They say immigrants are originally from Italy so they do it like that but I've been to Italy many times and the pizza is good there. Here not so much.
"Pizza in Argentina, though, although it shared common roots with pizza in Italy (and later in the US), quickly diverged for two main reasons.

First, plentiful cheese allowed for richer pizzas. Agustin Banchero, a Genoese who opened a bakery in 1893, reminisced that in Genoa food was so tight that pizza was nothing but dough and onions. In Buenos Aires he could add lots of extras, including mozzarella."
https://www.rachellaudan.com/2017/10/whats-the-true-history-of-pizza.html

You can still get italian types of pizzas in BA though:

"Pizza in Argentina, though, although it shared common roots with pizza in Italy (and later in the US), quickly diverged for two main reasons.

First, plentiful cheese allowed for richer pizzas. Agustin Banchero, a Genoese who opened a bakery in 1893, reminisced that in Genoa food was so tight that pizza was nothing but dough and onions. In Buenos Aires he could add lots of extras, including mozzarella."
https://www.rachellaudan.com/2017/10/whats-the-true-history-of-pizza.html

You can still get italian types of pizzas in BA though:

I like cheese as much as the next guy but they really overdo it in Buenos Aires. Half the time I see people leaving tons of cheese on their plates. It just seems like a waste.

Back