Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Poverty has no limit in Argentina

I love Milei but I don't understand why he keeps raising the price of public transport. It's just so dumb politically. The transport system loses too much money but so what, all governments waste billions of dollars, take the money from somewhere else. You are just making the majority of average working people who want to support you angry. I earn dollars and I'm sick of paying for the subway. If I were financially struggling this single issue would turn me against Milei

I love Milei but I don't understand why he keeps raising the price of public transport. It's just so dumb politically. The transport system loses too much money but so what, all governments waste billions of dollars, take the money from somewhere else. You are just making the majority of average working people who want to support you angry. I earn dollars and I'm sick of paying for the subway. If I were financially struggling this single issue would turn me against Milei
Agree on this point. Transportation in many countries aren't profitable and it's citizens depend on it for life to function and get to work. Not everything should be based on dollars and cents. It is hitting locals very hard. He is putting the recovery on the backs of poor and middle class, whatever small amount is still left of the middle class. People will turn on him if things don't improve by the end of this year.

I also think that they should wait to keep increasing transportation. Things like utilities I understand but if you make coming and going to work too high it could backfire. Or if they were subtle increases but these 100% to 200% jump on things like this will be difficult if the recession doesn't improve. My friend there before that voted for Milei used to be supportive of some of these things but transportation is one thing he doesn't agree on.

Thank you! I am happy to hear Milei supporters also agree it is not good to keep raising public transport costs so drastically. People will turn if this keeps up.

Thank you! I am happy to hear Milei supporters also agree it is not good to keep raising public transport costs so drastically. People will turn if this keeps up.
Now that subsidies for many bus lines have been removed, many people will be affected. There are two options: either the companies cover the additional cost or they eliminate it entirely. The latter would have a direct impact on the wallets of workers who commute daily, with some taking up to three buses. Until now, passengers only paid 50% of the fare starting from the second bus they took, and just 25% for a third bus. :(

Milei needs to learn pragmatism. Lenin introduced limited free market and capitalism in the first years after the commie revolution despite hating it with all his being.

If Milei is so sure he can fix things then wait a couple of years until the economy is great then raise transportation costs, Raising the pricies now just runs the risk of turning the people against him before he can implement his philosophy

I'll say that the subsidies in AMBA were much, much greater than the subsidies in other parts of Argentina. I remember, as early as last August, paying 800 pesos for the colectivo in Neuquén, when it was still under 100 in CABA.

Milei needs to learn pragmatism. Lenin introduced limited free market and capitalism in the first years after the commie revolution despite hating it with all his being.

If Milei is so sure he can fix things then wait a couple of years until the economy is great then raise transportation costs, Raising the pricies now just runs the risk of turning the people against him before he can implement his philosophy
I think you're right with this. It's one thing on utility bills because people have the choice to use a lot of AC or heat or stop usage but things like getting to and from work is not really controllable. My girlfriend recently asked for a raise to cover rise in living and her work said they couldn't afford to. But she can't quit because she feels like if she quits she may not find another job.

I'll say that the subsidies in AMBA were much, much greater than the subsidies in other parts of Argentina. I remember, as early as last August, paying 800 pesos for the colectivo in Neuquén, when it was still under 100 in CABA.
I didn't know this was the case but you are right @Darksider415. I am reaching many posts on X from people complaining about utility bill rates and people from other parts of Argentina are posting utility bills that are in some cases 300% higher than what we're paying in CABA. I just assumed people would all pay the same or similar across Argentina but didn't have any idea it would jump so much from one province to another but I guess that makes sense.

California is probably 3 times the cost of Texas so I guess the same thing goes on in the States. I'm blown away colectivos are so much more outside of CABA.

I didn't know this was the case but you are right @Darksider415. I am reaching many posts on X from people complaining about utility bill rates and people from other parts of Argentina are posting utility bills that are in some cases 300% higher than what we're paying in CABA. I just assumed people would all pay the same or similar across Argentina but didn't have any idea it would jump so much from one province to another but I guess that makes sense.

California is probably 3 times the cost of Texas so I guess the same thing goes on in the States. I'm blown away colectivos are so much more outside of CABA.
The very short form is, the federal government heavily subsidized life in AMBA because it's where a plurality of the population lives, and it's very hard to win national elections without AMBA.

I'm sure there are other reasons on paper, but basically it's the historic base of the peronists and they were rewarded with subsidies and public works. It's only in recent years that the non-peronist parties are starting to get a foothold in CABA proper.

Sometimes we talk about figures, numbers, and statistics so coldly, but in reality, we’re talking about people. According to a UNICEF report (the United Nations Children’s Fund), Argentina is facing a food crisis, with one million children going to bed without dinner. Given how crucial good nutrition is for children’s intellectual and biological development, it’s encouraging to see that many independent organizations, not connected to the government, are working to help through community kitchens or by distributing food on the streets. What surprises me most about Argentinians is their solidarity; it’s something they take very seriously. The government should prioritize these issues.

Now that subsidies for many bus lines have been removed, many people will be affected. There are two options: either the companies cover the additional cost or they eliminate it entirely. The latter would have a direct impact on the wallets of workers who commute daily, with some taking up to three buses. Until now, passengers only paid 50% of the fare starting from the second bus they took, and just 25% for a third bus. :(

Due to this, there will be a transport strike on Thursday, August 22, and Friday, August 23, so stay tuned. As always, the ones who will be most affected are those who need to commute to work every day. In the end, it’s always the same people who suffer the consequences: those who travel daily and will now face additional costs.

The situation in the country is pretty rough, and this just makes it even clearer. The economy dropped 3.9% in June after a slight uptick in May, showing that we're still stuck in a rut. This is the fifth negative month in 2024 so far. Most sectors are in the red, which doesn’t really surprise anyone. The only thing the government seems to celebrate is inflation dropping by a digit, like that's the only thing that matters. They should really take a broader look at the overall picture, there are way more negative numbers than positive ones. There’s not much to cheer about.

On top of the economic downturn, more Argentinians are struggling to make ends meet. Inflation is outpacing the small wage increases, so many people are switching to cheaper brands. Some are in an even worse spot and just can’t cover their expenses. The middle class is definitely the hardest hit.

On top of the economic downturn, more Argentinians are struggling to make ends meet. Inflation is outpacing the small wage increases, so many people are switching to cheaper brands. Some are in an even worse spot and just can’t cover their expenses. The middle class is definitely the hardest hit.

It's no surprise; we're in an expensive country with low wages (especially for locals earning in pesos). Milei’s recessionary policies have driven salaries to their lowest in the region, while prices remain the highest, thanks to currency lag and brutal economic adjustments.

1724447023907.jpeg

It's no surprise; we're in an expensive country with low wages (especially for locals earning in pesos). Milei’s recessionary policies have driven salaries to their lowest in the region, while prices remain the highest, thanks to currency lag and brutal economic adjustments.

View attachment 6951
Well, according to a recent study, Uruguay has become the most expensive country in Latin America, with some of the highest prices in the region for many products and services, actually, it's even pricier than some developed countries. But here's the big difference: the average minimum wage there is around $2,500 USD, which is way higher than in Argentina.

Seems like a no win situation. I don't really understand Argentina and just reading articles but doesn't seem like the math works out. People can't expect to get raises if consumers aren't spending. If consumers aren't spending that means businesses will struggle. If businesses struggle then they will probably close. Then people lose jobs.

Forget a raise. People will probably feel lucky just to have a job if this recession keeps up. What am I missing?

Exactly! As you mentioned, it's a vicious cycle: if salaries are low, consumption can't increase, which affects businesses and can lead to closures and job losses. The reality is that behind the numbers, there are people struggling to survive in a challenging economic environment.

With minimum wages at just 264 USD, it severely limits people's purchasing power. It's not just about adjusting figures or reducing inflation; it's about ensuring that citizens can live with dignity and have access to basic necessities.

To improve this situation, it's crucial that economic policies focus not only on reducing inflation but also on increasing employment, improving income levels, and strengthening citizens' purchasing power.

Exactly! As you mentioned, it's a vicious cycle: if salaries are low, consumption can't increase, which affects businesses and can lead to closures and job losses. The reality is that behind the numbers, there are people struggling to survive in a challenging economic environment.

With minimum wages at just 264 USD, it severely limits people's purchasing power. It's not just about adjusting figures or reducing inflation; it's about ensuring that citizens can live with dignity and have access to basic necessities.

To improve this situation, it's crucial that economic policies focus not only on reducing inflation but also on increasing employment, improving income levels, and strengthening citizens' purchasing power.

This is indeed a bad situation. The key from both sides is not to look at things as a black or white issue. What's left of the middle class is getting blown away and they are ending up suffering and moving down to poverty class.Milei can't just measure things by "inflation" because it is higher than that they suggest. Just like when the Kirchners were Presidnet and inflation numbers were artificial. So too are they now.

Talk to anyone and they will agree that food prices have gone down but everything else is going up. Utility rates are astromical compared to before. Transportation, healthcare, building expenses. These need to be added into the true picture.

Seems like a no win situation. I don't really understand Argentina and just reading articles but doesn't seem like the math works out. People can't expect to get raises if consumers aren't spending. If consumers aren't spending that means businesses will struggle. If businesses struggle then they will probably close. Then people lose jobs.

Forget a raise. People will probably feel lucky just to have a job if this recession keeps up. What am I missing?
Many companies are cutting staff and creates more work for the remaining employees.

Back