Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Power cuts this summer

summer lover

Hi everyone,
I've been reading recently about the possibility of power outages this summer, and it seems it's no longer just speculation. The government has confirmed that there will be scheduled outages in January. The only question is how severe these outages will be. I've lived in South Africa for a long time and have experience with this issue. How serious is the situation here? Are the outages prolonged?

From my experience, power outages with Edesur tend to last longer than those with Edenor. I've never been without electricity for more than a few hours, but my in-laws have had to go over a day without it in the past.

I don’t think we’ll see many this year. The cost of energy has increased significantly, and because of that, people are cutting back on their consumption. As prices continue to rise, it’s becoming more challenging for people to afford the same level of usage, so many are being more cautious with how they consume energy.

I don’t think we’ll see many this year. The cost of energy has increased significantly, and because of that, people are cutting back on their consumption. As prices continue to rise, it’s becoming more challenging for people to afford the same level of usage, so many are being more cautious with how they consume energy.
They said they don't plan it for residential. With the big increases in prices they shouldn't have any power outages at all! They can't say they aren't making any money anymore. The prices have gone up about 300% to 400%!

According to my experience, I've had summers with power outages, but I have to say that they were never prolonged, just a few hours at most. My electricity provider is EDENOR, and I’m not sure if the claims about Edesur having more issues are true. I hope that, as mentioned, any outages will be scheduled and brief.
The provinces most likely to experience significant impact from these planned outages include Buenos Aires, Córdoba, and Mendoza.

Back