Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Travel Purchasing an eSim for data only for cellphone for Argentina visit

William Morris

Purchasing an eSim for data only for cellphone for Argentina visit

I have a straightforward inquiry:

I'm aware that my iPhone is eSim-compatible and can handle multiple eSims. Currently, I'm using an eSim from my local carrier, TMobile, and for voice, I predominantly use WhatsApp, except for Zoom calls.

Now, I'm looking to add an additional eSim specifically for local Argentina only, for use when I'm on the go and not connected to a WiFi network, like when I'm navigating or browsing at a cafe. My stay in BA is for several weeks, not a full year.
Here are my questions:
  • Does anyone have experience with one carrier over another (Claro vs. Mint, etc.)?
  • Are there any carriers to avoid?
  • I prefer prepaying before I travel (USA), but if purchasing at a physical store is simpler, I can consider that.
  • Are there any miscellaneous red flags or considerations I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance!

Each of the three operators in Argentina provides eSIMs. Personal boasts the fastest data speeds, with real 5G available at certain locations. Claro, on the other hand, offers the largest data packages. It's worth noting that Movistar's future appears uncertain, as Telefonica is considering selling it or potentially transforming it into a virtual operator on one of the other two operators' networks.

Think about Airalo, a highly-rated travel eSIM provider available in the app store. While I currently use a physical SIM in BA, I've successfully used Airalo for short trips to Uruguay without any issues. Recently, a friend visiting BA from the U.S. had a positive experience with Airalo for the two weeks he was here.

You have the convenience of paying and downloading the eSIM information in advance, and the plan activates only when you connect to a local tower for the first time. The carrier whose towers they use is not specified.

However, it's essential to consider the cost and the relatively low data cap. The 30-day plan costs $26 USD and provides 6 GB of data. Depending on your daily usage, this may or may not be sufficient. In contrast, my 30-day Claro plan with a physical SIM offers 15 GB of data plus unlimited WhatsApp for $3.50. If immediate functionality upon arrival is a priority and cost is not a major concern, Airalo or a similar service might be suitable. On the other hand, visiting a local Claro or Personal store after arrival could save you money and offer a more generous data allowance.

Look online and there are sometimes coupon codes.

A cautionary note regarding roaming eSIMs, such as Airalo (the widespread promotion of which raises questions): If your data applications rely on low latency, you may encounter issues. There are ongoing discussions on this topic, and you can find more information here:

Essentially, the key factor is whether your eSIM provider has local servers for functions like authentication, billing, and monitoring data allowances.

For comparison, I can obtain a 5GB data package from Personal for approximately USD 1.70. Additionally, a 1GB roaming package for Uruguay, Paraguay, or Chile costs under USD 1. Alternatively, there's a 5GB worldwide roaming package for around USD 28.00 if you're willing to splurge.

A cautionary note regarding roaming eSIMs, such as Airalo (the widespread promotion of which raises questions): If your data applications rely on low latency, you may encounter issues. There are ongoing discussions on this topic, and you can find more information here:

Essentially, the key factor is whether your eSIM provider has local servers for functions like authentication, billing, and monitoring data allowances.

For comparison, I can obtain a 5GB data package from Personal for approximately USD 1.70. Additionally, a 1GB roaming package for Uruguay, Paraguay, or Chile costs under USD 1. Alternatively, there's a 5GB worldwide roaming package for around USD 28.00 if you're willing to splurge.
Speaking for myself, I'm not actively endorsing Airalo or any other provider. My first experience with Airalo was during a trip to Colonia two weeks ago, marking my initial use of an eSIM. Despite my initial uncertainty, I managed to figure it out, and it worked seamlessly. However, I generally lean towards the traditional approach of acquiring a physical SIM at an affordable cost whenever I travel.

Upon returning this morning from another two-day trip to Colonia, I explored adding a roaming package to my local Claro number. This option turned out to be more cost-effective and provided me with a greater data allowance. Given my data-intensive usage—nearly 3 GB in two days, including video streaming—Airalo doesn't align with my needs. During my previous Colonia visit, I had to carefully manage my data usage to avoid exceeding Airalo's 2 GB cap for their 7-day plan. This time, the Claro roaming package proved to be a more suitable choice.

While I wouldn't rely on a provider like Airalo for situations requiring a mobile hotspot or work from my computer, it seems suitable for typical tourist activities such as using Google Maps, Cabify/Uber, WhatsApp, and similar tasks. One notable advantage is the ability to set it up in advance, allowing you to hit the ground running upon landing at the airport. However, in comparison to local providers like Personal or Claro, it may not be the optimal choice, and services like Google Voice could potentially face latency issues during voice calls.

I want to clarify that I'm not accusing you of anything. However, in the Facebook groups for travelers to Argentina, it seems that Airalo dominates the conversation whenever someone inquires about a SIM.

I anticipate that the Airalo eSIM should function well for voice calls and the apps you mentioned. However, if the original poster (OP) is considering more extensive tasks like digital nomad work, handling large file uploads/downloads, collaborative work, or interactive gaming, the situation might vary.

On a related note, the issue of latency also applies to VPNs. Using one can introduce several hundred milliseconds of latency for all data transfers.

I likely discovered Airalo through the Facebook groups. As someone who heavily relies on reviews and Google star ratings—finding a restaurant with a 4.0 instead of a 4.5 gives me pause—the impressive 4.6-star rating in the Google Play Store, coupled with over 1 million downloads, convinced me to give it a try. However, I completely agree that Airalo-style apps are suitable only in specific scenarios. Now that I've grasped Claro's roaming packages, I don't foresee using Airalo much anymore. The data cap is too restrictive for my usage, extending it beyond a few days would be impractical.

I utilized Airalo for a SIM card during the past week, acquiring around 2GB for approximately $13. While it wasn't the most cost-effective option, it provided immediate data access upon disembarking from my ferry in Colonia. I experienced no coverage issues throughout CABA. Subsequently, earlier this week, I purchased a tourist SIM card from Claro, costing around 11,000 pesos for 30 days with a 25GB data allowance. As a bonus, they included a memory card, albeit one I had difficulty removing, but it didn't bother me much.

If your stay extends beyond 30 days, recharging with Claro should be more cost-effective. I'm also using a tourist SIM and registered on the Mi Claro website for added convenience in managing packages and monitoring data usage. During my last recharge, I obtained 15GB for 30 days, along with unlimited WhatsApp, 1000 minutes, and SMS for 2700 pesos. As a bonus, I received an extra 2GB for topping up. Paying less than $4 a month is certainly a better deal compared to the $70 I was spending on T-Mobile back in the States.

If your stay extends beyond 30 days, recharging with Claro should be more cost-effective. I'm also using a tourist SIM and registered on the Mi Claro website for added convenience in managing packages and monitoring data usage. During my last recharge, I obtained 15GB for 30 days, along with unlimited WhatsApp, 1000 minutes, and SMS for 2700 pesos. As a bonus, I received an extra 2GB for topping up. Paying less than $4 a month is certainly a better deal compared to the $70 I was spending on T-Mobile back in the States.
Unfortunately, not this time around, but I will try to remember to bring back my Argentinian SIM next time. Thanks for the heads up. I'll likely recharge before the 30 days since I can easily use up 25GB.

Does anyone have experience with one carrier vs. another (Claro vs. Mint vs....)?

I've used all three, and Personal seems to be the least problematic. I encounter issues during the handoff between 5G, LTE, and HSPA at times, but that's the extent of it. In their defense, I'm using a phone designed for U.S. bands, not Argentine ones.

Is there any carrier to avoid?

Movistar and the local MVNOs.

Preferably, I would like to prepay before I travel (USA), but if it is simpler to purchase at a brick and mortar, I can do that.

As of this July, you still had to visit a brick and mortar store to get an eSIM. I ordered physical SIMs for my friends and family members before they came and activated them, ensuring they were good to go. I believe Personal was exploring an eSIM offering for tourists at Ezeiza, but I'm unsure if it's operational yet.

Any miscellaneous red flags to be aware of?

It's advisable to opt for an Argentine SIM or eSIM rather than a travel SIM offering like Airalo because data costs here are minimal. If you plan on visiting other countries in the region, you can even get a roaming offering that might be more cost-effective.

I’m late to the party, but my wife and I are both on Personal and like it, and having real 5G is nice.

We’re both on iPhones, her on a US-spec 14 Pro, so eSIM only and me with a physical SIM in my 12 mini
I also use Personal and really like it. The staff is really nice there too. I recently had to change my e-sim from my iPhone 14 Pro Max to my 15 Pro Max and it couldn't gave beeb easier and they didn't charge me anything to switch. I've been using them a while know and they are fabulous.

@William Morris keep in mind that if your iPhone is older like mine, it might not have multiple eSIM capability:

"iPhone 13 models and later also support two active eSIMs. iPhone models without a physical SIM tray support two active eSIMs"

hen at the t-mobile store last month in Florida, the representative said we had to activate my new T-Mobile plan while still in the USA, and some older iPhones won't be able to use 2 eSIMs (can still use one physical SIM and one eSIM). i don't use the newest iPhone, so just food for thought if you're a cheap-ass like me

@William Morris keep in mind that if your iPhone is older like mine, it might not have multiple eSIM capability:

"iPhone 13 models and later also support two active eSIMs. iPhone models without a physical SIM tray support two active eSIMs"

hen at the t-mobile store last month in Florida, the representative said we had to activate my new T-Mobile plan while still in the USA, and some older iPhones won't be able to use 2 eSIMs (can still use one physical SIM and one eSIM). i don't use the newest iPhone, so just food for thought if you're a cheap-ass like me
Thank you. Fortunately my wife got me a new iPhone 15 for our anniversary last month. I quite enjoy it. I went from the 13 to the 15 and the camera is MUCH better. I didn't know they had T-Mobile outside of the USA. That is great. But why did you have to get a new T-Mobile plan? That is who I use. I love the free data and roaming around most countries that I travel to. It usually is fast enough for texts, WhatsApp and I pre-download Google Maps with wi-fi.

Just a data point. I went to the Claro store to get an eSim for my iPhone. I had to show my actual passport and I had to have a credit card. I have great coverage on it and in my Airbnb a few times the wifi has gone down and I just make a hotspot to work with my Claro cellphone and works great.

My friend is visiting from the USA and he got an Airalo esim. He got the global esim instead of the Latin America region esim. He has been traveling all over South America during this trip. There wasn't a specific esim just for Argentina, and he said he noticed the global one was cheaper than the Latin America esim. However, the service hasn't been great. Half the time, he said it is only 3G, and his Google maps and Google Translate won't work properly. These are two big reasons I got the sim at Claro.

Last edited:
Just a data point. I went to the Claro store to get an eSim for my iPhone. I had to show my actual passport and I had to have a credit card. I have great coverage on it and in my Airbnb a few times the wifi has gone down and I just make a hotspot to work with my Claro cellphone and works great.

My friend is visiting from the USA and he got an Airalo esim. He got the global esim instead of the Latin America region esim. He has been traveling all over South America during this trip. There wasn't a specific esim just for Argentina, and he said he noticed the global one was cheaper than the Latin America esim. However, the service hasn't been great. Half the time, he said it is only 3G, and his Google maps and Google Translate won't work properly. These are two big reasons I got the sim at Claro.

I've visited many countries, and Airalo has been the best option in most of them, but unfortunately not in Argentina from what I am researching online. Thanks for the suggestion to go to a big Claro store with my passport and credit card. That is very helpful.

Back