Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Travel Purchasing an eSim for data only for cellphone for Argentina visit

My friend has been down there a few months and said TMobile sent her a warning since it's been so long. She got a Personal eSim now but still using the TMobile but switched data over to her Argentina cellphone plan. She said it was only around $10 USD per month.

My friend has been down there a few months and said TMobile sent her a warning since it's been so long. She got a Personal eSim now but still using the TMobile but switched data over to her Argentina cellphone plan. She said it was only around $10 USD per month.
I kept T-Mobile for about a year after I moved, but my trick to keeping them happy was using my Personal sim for data, having Wi-Fi calling enabled on the T-Mo line, and then manually selecting Personal for the network to connect to from my T-Mo SIM, because T-Mo doesn't have a roaming agreement with Personal. What this does is force failover to Wi-Fi Calling, and send all your T-Mobile calls/texts over your Personal data connection.

I eventually got a Tello eSIM for things that _require_ an actual US mobile number, to save money, and used that to sign up for Google Voice, before porting my T-Mobile number to GV, switching GV to only use data and turning off the Tello line in my iPhone's settings. Tello doesn't roam, but they have Wi-Fi Calling enabled, so I just switch it on about once a month, download the texts I missed, then shut it back off.

I kept T-Mobile for about a year after I moved, but my trick to keeping them happy was using my Personal sim for data, having Wi-Fi calling enabled on the T-Mo line, and then manually selecting Personal for the network to connect to from my T-Mo SIM, because T-Mo doesn't have a roaming agreement with Personal. What this does is force failover to Wi-Fi Calling, and send all your T-Mobile calls/texts over your Personal data connection.

I eventually got a Tello eSIM for things that _require_ an actual US mobile number, to save money, and used that to sign up for Google Voice, before porting my T-Mobile number to GV, switching GV to only use data and turning off the Tello line in my iPhone's settings. Tello doesn't roam, but they have Wi-Fi Calling enabled, so I just switch it on about once a month, download the texts I missed, then shut it back off.
Great advice Darksider. I also use T-Mobile and travel about 100 days each year around the world. Sometimes during the summer when we travel for up to 2 months at a time, TMobile will send me some warning email/text about using too much data. I will try to get a data e-SIM for another country and do the same thing you are talking about.

I live in the USA so I can't get rid of my TMobile plan but I have an e-SIM for Personal and that works great.

Back