Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Question about traveling from Uruguay to Argentina by ferry

Cris77

Hello, I'll be in Uruguay and would like to visit Buenos Aires for a few days. I'm curious about the process of taking the ferry. How early should I arrive at the port in Uruguay? Also, do I go through immigration for both Uruguay and Argentina at the Colonia port before boarding the ferry?

Here's the process:

• Book a ticket with either Buquebus or Colonia Express.
  • Arrive at the port 45 minutes before departure.
  • Undergo immigration/emigration procedures for both countries before boarding. This process is usually quick, with booths conveniently located next to each other. You'll be guided through them in a queue.

@walm got it in one, though when we took Buquebus in September, the immigration procedures for both countries happened in Argentina while leaving BA, but when we returned, we were stamped out of Uruguay in Colonia and then had to wait in a _very_ long line when the ferry got to Buenos Aires.

@walm got it in one, though when we took Buquebus in September, the immigration procedures for both countries happened in Argentina while leaving BA, but when we returned, we were stamped out of Uruguay in Colonia and then had to wait in a _very_ long line when the ferry got to Buenos Aires.
Same with me when I went there.

Back