Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Question about Villa 31

Gleiser

As an American, gringo, I'm eagerly anticipating my upcoming trip to Buenos Aires, and I've been delving into the city's various neighborhoods. I was struck by the information about the "villas miserias."
From what I understand, these "villas miserias" are akin to Brazil's favelas and consist of areas with precarious housing. I'm particularly intrigued by the location of Villa 31, situated so close to the city center in the Retiro neighborhood, which is considered a privileged area.
I've read about the city's efforts to implement significant infrastructure projects to integrate the villa into an official neighborhood. Have these efforts been successful? What's the current situation?
While I realize that as a tourist, I might not have reason to visit these villas, I'm curious if other tourists have ventured there. These questions stem from my genuine interest and fascination with your city.

Thanks in advance!

As an American, gringo, I'm eagerly anticipating my upcoming trip to Buenos Aires, and I've been delving into the city's various neighborhoods. I was struck by the information about the "villas miserias."
From what I understand, these "villas miserias" are akin to Brazil's favelas and consist of areas with precarious housing. I'm particularly intrigued by the location of Villa 31, situated so close to the city center in the Retiro neighborhood, which is considered a privileged area.
I've read about the city's efforts to implement significant infrastructure projects to integrate the villa into an official neighborhood. Have these efforts been successful? What's the current situation?
While I realize that as a tourist, I might not have reason to visit these villas, I'm curious if other tourists have ventured there. These questions stem from my genuine interest and fascination with your city.

Thanks in advance!
Trust me. There is nothing there you would want to see!

Hey there! Villa 31 is basically built on land that used to belong to the railway company, now government-owned. That's why it's smack dab near an upscale neighborhood. They've got this urbanization program in the works, but given how massive and dense the villa is, it's gonna be a while before they get it all sorted. And yeah, definitely steer clear of that area.

This is what happens to gringos in Villa 31 LOL
Ja. It's no surprise they got robbed there. There are many legitimate soup kitchens to donate to. Do NOT go to this area.

I wouldn't suggest a visit, but Google has rolled their cameras through, so you can peek via Street View.
It's a way to add some humanity to a locale often labeled a "slum."
Funny Google went through there with their cameras. Good find!

This is what happens to gringos in Villa 31 LOL
Looks like this guy is having bad luck in Argentina.

Back